Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snooper device
Simply put, this is a little bug device to track what things are used on a certain piece of machinery.

Snooper on an oven? Tracks ingredients, tracks results.
Snooper on a computer? Tracks login and program usage.
Snooper on a gun? Tracks who fired it last.

Use a screwdriver on any of these devices to unhook the device, other than that it's fairly small so it'd be invisible on sprites.

Just sounds fun in my head, could use it to frame someone with a mask and an ID, or as a detective to track down who's the owner of a bloodied stun baton, or just to print off everything that the chef included in his pie pie.
This has been suggested 1000x times before, yet it doesn't devalue the suggestion, in fact reinforces that CLD (Covert listening device) needs to be in-game.

One easy way it could work would be simply work like an adminlog of whatever device it is attached to.
Attach it to a PDA: Admin log of that PDA is sent to sec channel
Attach it to piece of clothing: Admin log of whatever the person is saying " " "
Etc.
Why not just give security a pda app for it and not spam up the sec radio channel with "CHEF makes a sandwich sandwich sandwich sandwich".
I didn't think of it outputting to chat, honestly I figured you'd download the data via PDA or print it
atomic1fire Wrote:Why not just give security a pda app for it and not spam up the sec radio channel with "CHEF makes a sandwich sandwich sandwich sandwich".

Frankly, the chef unknowingly outputting the entire contents of the first Harry Potter book to security channel would be hilarious.
I don't think this would work out so well because people would use it to learn secret chem recipes and secret Dwaine stuff? I think that's why it's never been implemented before. I'm probably the last person to argue for safegarding stuff like that, but I think a few people would be up in arms if someone snooped the recepie of initiro from them without talking to them first.

Also, it means if someone is making a dangerous chem and security gets wind of this it could lead to a lot of incidents similar to the old arresting toxins for making bombs schtick that used to happen all the time.
I guess it could be left nonfunctional for chem machines.

The Snooper Bug grumpily buzzes at the Chemical Dispenser! How unhelpful.
eh. If detective could slip into chemistry, wire the snooper into the chem machine someone happens to be using to make secret chems, and then can justify that in character, that seems more impressive then anything.

Maybe wiring the Chem unit without a good security reason as an antag should be considered meta gaming.

But overall letting detective snoop chemistry research sounds like a stupid idea.

As a traitor item? maybe, but not as a regular detective.
The snooper could just indicate what chemicals were put into the beaker, it doesn't necessarily need to give an ultra-detailed description of what was made or what it combined into, either
This seems ridiculously powerful and also basically pointless? A forensic scanner can already tell who's been using/touching a thing, PDAs (and probably computers too, with a bit of DWAINE wizards) are super trivial to snoop on, and the detective really has no reasonable need to know what the chef is putting in his oven.
A bug that acts as a hidden camera/microphone and can be stealthily slipped onto people, hid in rooms, or slid under doors should be enough. That other stuff sounds too exploitable.