HOS Application: LeadRobot/Eli Vox
Usual Character Name: Eli Vox
BYOND Username: LeadRobot
Times Available: Evenings, late nights, weekends. Central standard time.

Reason for Application:
As I've played more and more - and especially more and more within security roles - I've seen some shit. A lot of people picking security officer just don't seem to have any respect for the importance of due process and would rather play Judge Dredd than Joe Mall Cop. Instead of investigating, talking to people and finding out what actually happened, a lot of people seem to prefer to apply a fire extinguisher to a suspect's head until they stop moving, or else just chuck them in the brig (but I haven't seen that in what, weeks?). I don't like the death squad that security's become at times.

I started playing shortly after Cogmap hit. I mostly puttered around Medbay as a Medical Director and had a lot of fun training new players to apply patches and use syringes and bottles, explaining all the meds and trying to make everything more efficient all around. My hope is that I can, at times, do likewise as a HOS/Mentor for new (or veteran but lacking) players joining up as our boys in red.
I'm not a creep, I'm knowledgeable about mechanics and content, I don't metagame to the point where I've been very frustrated by my inability to introduce my friends to SS13 ("No, no we can't just use Skype."). Uh, aside from that one time I was hammered and joined IRC to complain without thinking, but you guys shut me down on that pretty fast.

I dunno man. Basically I just want to make the game more fun for everyone. It's a VERY fine line between opposing/obstructing a traitor and just chasing him down and shutting down the antagonists for the round 15-20 minutes in. If in a leadership position I can help people find that line and figure out due process, proper escalation and my lean back, ramp up style of pursuit, great! The great game gets better.

Security Experience:
Plenty! Detective has been my favourite for a while now, but I used to spend a lot of rounds Hop copping, working with the guards and Captain. I used to have a penchant for hassling traitors so I can arrest them and get their fun toys, but I've since come to understand Security to be the most socially intricate department to play. One zealous, robust guard can single-handedly kill the fun of a round 15 minutes in if he takes his job too seriously. You just. Can't. Try so hard to stop the antags. Spend some time hassling the accidental murderers and writing tickets instead. Coming to understand this was a big part of my transition to Detective as my primary security role. It's perfect. You get to play security, tag along with the guards, be the opposition, but you're never really expected to bust out your .38. A hard-boiled mall cop.

Nobody bats an eye when all the Detective is doing is wandering around, keeping an eye on the people with the guns and bombs, warding them off from populated areas, interrogating them in the halls and making them uncomfortable. If a brawl breaks out in medbay, snap some photos and set beepsky on them. If guns come out, maybe flash them. It's just the easiest role to play the passive-aggressive opposition, which is what most rounds need. This is the lean back, ramp up way. Before 25 minutes, just be around and keep them from doing too much damage. 25-40 start chasing harder, be more persistent, 40+ if they're going for blood, so do you. It gives the round a sense of escalation, with things getting louder and more tense as the round goes on, usually culminating in a dramatic fight for the escape shuttle! What fun!

Other than that I still sometimes play guards and HoP cops but now mostly I just run bodyguard duty on VIPs or familiar names. I'd still much rather be a shield than a sword.

I can be bribed or smooth talked, I accept lies willingly. As long as I don't think you're going to set off a transfer valve or something as soon as I turn my back I'll give you your fair chance to get away. In the off chance I actually do arrest you and not just set beepsky on you until he zaps you a twice or thrice, I'm most likely to just haul you into the interrogation room, shout for a bit, point at your weapons and then call that your brig sentence and send you off in a state only mildly less dangerous than you were when I found you.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout:
Honestly I just feel like the whole department would be better at a location more central to the station. If we had security around where the jazz lounge or EVA/the market is, it could connect to the rest of the station much better. I usually find that by the time I've apprehended someone, cuffed them, dragged them to sec, processed them and brigged them it's already been like 5 minutes and I feel bad about brigging them for 1-2 more. Conversely it wouldn't be good so close to the AI; it would become much more difficult to set laws, which always spices things up.

As well, I think the addition of an automatic prisoner processor would be a boon to security. If we could just chute them into the brig and have it grab their back, pockets and belt and uncuff them, sort everything away and then return it to them upon release, I'm almost sure the brig would see more use. It's just such a pain getting them safe and inside.

I don't like that the Armory is on the northwest lip of the station. It's accessible from a very isolated chunk of space and really vulnerable to infiltration.

I've had someone say to me they believe there should only be solitary cells in the brig and I vehemently disagree and don't even want to dignify it with a response other than that it is wrong.

Previous Bans:
Nnnnnnno? My record is clear at least as far back as I can remember. I might have gotten a day ban once when I was starting out, but I think I'm imagining it.

Thanks for your consideration, folks. If you don't feel I'm a good fit as a HOS, consider me as just a mentor instead. Cheers.
Addendum: Whoops that's a password at the top. I typed this out in my scratchpad.txt! Good thing it's not anything important.

Addendum 2: I hate the term "Confirmed Traitor" even more than "ROGUE AI!"
P. decent guy, yeah.

LeadRobot Wrote:Addendum 2: I hate the term "Confirmed Traitor" even more than "ROGUE AI!"
Bonus points.
Yeah, i'll say yes, you've been a cool guy in the past and i'm surprised you weren't already a hos. Give the beret.
LeadRobot Wrote:Addendum 2: I hate the term "Confirmed Traitor" even more than "ROGUE AI!"

I'm sold.

I mean, not that you needed it, I support this either way.
LeadRobot Wrote:A lot of people picking security officer just don't seem to have any respect for the importance of due process and would rather play Judge Dredd than Joe Mall Cop. Instead of investigating, talking to people and finding out what actually happened, a lot of people seem to prefer to apply a fire extinguisher to a suspect's head until they stop moving, or else just chuck them in the brig (but I haven't seen that in what, weeks?). I don't like the death squad that security's become at times.

I've played security a handful of times with you. I've never seen you do something shitty and I've seen and like how you handle high tension situations, and I really like what you chose to put in your opening paragraph.

Definite yes.
Just by the way you started this Application and by the times I have played with you on sec. I say Yes this man needs to be a HOS. If he is willing and able to deal with shit security then he is already on my good side.
Eli Vox.....Eli Vox... nope can't say I haven't head of him.

In fact, I can't say that I haven't heard of him so much, that I could say that I smile when I see him as sec and thing to myself; "Hey, this guy might not leave me to rot when I'm dying right next to him - or something" hen I'm not an evildoer. When I am an evildoer and see him as sec, I instinctively cringe ever so slightly at the thought of being robusted and or humiliated in some wacky toilet related manner.

I approve of this pubbie getting a toilet-paper hat spray-painted red with a plastic badge on it.

P.S. What kind of nerd posts his password in a public forum...THAT KIND OF NERD...
It was a password for something that doesn't matter ok it's not even an internet thing. Gosh.
will make a good head of nerdcurity. I say yes.
Eli's a chill guy and a swell sec. Definitely yes.
I've never seen Eli playing as security (Or more probably, I just don't remember.) However, that's not really important to me. He's got the right attitude for the game and so I know he'll do a good job as HoS, a yes from me.
And honestly, I don't play Security Guard that much. I mean, it's always in my middle priority, but when I want to be involved in Sec I usually just favourite detective; his toys are more fun.
What's the opposite of Shitcurity? Because you should be called it.

Yes.
T-man Wrote:What's the opposite of Shitcurity? Because you should be called it.

Yes.

Secquality (seh-qua-lity).