Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traitor Geneticist items - Mutator Pen / Radiation Grenades
While being blind is incredibly annoying, there's nothing stopping people from going to medbay, botany, or chemistry for mutadone. More zealous chemborgs could run around and use mutadone smoke.
SL the Pyro Wrote:I did consider doing it like this at first, but I decided that would've been way too overpowered, not to mention completely awful for stealth since everyone would know what was going on if multiple people had mutations two minutes into the round. Infinite injections of any three mutations (or six, if he buys two pens) can easily be either horrendously crippling or absurdly godlike if the user knows what to inject, so I'd like to keep the requirement for DNA Injectors as a bit of a restraining bolt so the traitor has to work for his supercripple/superhuman injector.

...Now, with these things said, there's something I'd like to ask: are the Telecrystal prices for both the Mutator Pen (4) and Radiation Grenades (8) acceptable? I'm wondering of the pen's is too low and if the grenade's is too high.

How would they know, though? Researching a mutation doesn't take too long, and it's not unheard of for geneticists to research mutations on each other, and if you wait like five minutes to do any noticeable mutations, like heat/cold resistance and the like, it should be fairly believable that you simply had those specific genes already and simply had someone unlock them for you. Also, the fact that it's overpowered can be balanced with cooldowns, you could also make it so that you have to have researched and unlocked the gene first, and the telecrystal cost could be increased. However, making them wait for injectors seems a bit harsh, as it takes a long time to research injectors, and even especially so considering that most rounds genetics is constantly plagued by carpet bombings and rampant traitor attacks.

For the prices of the items, I think 4 is fine for your design of the pen, but 8 seems a bit much for the grenades. I'd say 5, but that's only if the radiation it delivers is nuts.
Amuys Wrote:While being blind is incredibly annoying, there's nothing stopping people from going to medbay, botany, or chemistry for mutadone. More zealous chemborgs could run around and use mutadone smoke.

fair enough
What if the pen just had two states, filled and empty? When it's empty, stick someone with it to copy all activated genetic traits they have, and then inject them into yourself or others. You'd still have to research a bit, but it'd be a lot faster than injectors for getting powered up. And you can keep a monkey around to fill with all the bad stuff.

Give it a small cool down of about a minute between uses so you can't just instantly stab someone then copy their genetics again.
Maybe an implant that gives them the ability to alter genetic traits. They just need to figure out the sequence, and then they can enter it with a command and have it activate on them or inject it in someone else.
Amuys Wrote:While being blind is incredibly annoying, there's nothing stopping people from going to medbay, botany, or chemistry for mutadone. More zealous chemborgs could run around and use mutadone smoke.

I believe this is a good reason that it shouldn't require injectors. Mutadone can very easily counter it, and it could very easily counter anything you might've given yourself like hulk or thermal resistance, if they're able to stun you or release mutadone smoke around you. 30 minutes of hard work lost because they got some mutadone.
DyssalC Wrote:

I believe this is a good reason that it shouldn't require injectors. Mutadone can very easily counter it, and it could very easily counter anything you might've given yourself like hulk or thermal resistance, if they're able to stun you or release mutadone smoke around you. 30 minutes of hard work lost because they got some mutadone.

Or even just a mutadone hypospray.
yeah the way the OP envisioned it sounds good
TBH I think some kinks need to be worked out of the pen idea, but other than that, OP's ideas are good.
It doesn't seem to op to me, since when people start to randomly go blind and fat, people will instantly start screaming for the geneticsts blood and become paranoid of anyone in a labcoat.