Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Circuit blueprint tool for mechanics
To help mechanics use components to their full potential before stuff inevitably hits the fan every round:

A tool to compile connected components into a blueprint of something compact that can be fabricated and installed with ease. With device in hand (perhaps a PDA app), you could click a component to save a blueprint of the entire circuit it's in (excluding things like the teleporter, flusher, guns, pipes, pressure plate, etc.) and choose which components would serve as the input & output. Then use the blueprint with the Reverse-Engineering Fabricator, and the result would only take up one tile. The number of components it's comprised of would determine materials cost.

For example, say you wanted to make an exclusive, voice-activated, multi-destination teleporter, complete with flashing lights, that asks you where you'd like to go, resets itself after a delay, reports its use back to the electronics lab, and sends blacklisted users somewhere cold and dark. This kind of filigreed gismo, a horizonless patchwork of icons, would be impracticable in your average round.

However, with this new device you'd wrench down and adjust a prototype as usual from the comfort of your lab, and then just scan, print, and fabricate. Ultimately you could employ staff assistants to deploy sophisticated mechanisms around the station, while there's still people alive to use them!

You could even attempt to sell your projects in the marketplace. v "Come buy your very own voice-activated mood lighting system today! Easy to install! Try our new model, guaranteed less verbally abusive!"

---

I'd settle for these time/space-savers for mechanics though:
  • An optional shopping cart feature for the component vending machine, which would vend a box with your list of components.
  • An action in the context menu to bring up a window to display/edit all the settings of a component at once.
  • Different shapes for all components, and/or an action in the context menu to make connections between components on the same tile.
Yes! This is the missing piece as far as mechanics goes, it needs a device like this badly.
Interesting idea. I'm not sure if it's doable but I'll have a look.