Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arc Smelter area suggestions
The materials rework which puts new fabricators accepting arc smelter bars all over the station seems to suggest that the arc smelter is going to stay public-access now. If you don't like destructive shenanigans, go bust people up when you see them doing it, since there's absolutely nothing stopping you from walking into the arc smelter area, flashing someone, and running off with their crate of erebite.
Paineframe Wrote:The materials rework which puts new fabricators accepting arc smelter bars all over the station seems to suggest that the arc smelter is going to stay public-access now. If you don't like destructive shenanigans, go bust people up when you see them doing it, since there's absolutely nothing stopping you from walking into the arc smelter area, flashing someone, and running off with their crate of erebite.

You do know that you can pop material bars out of any fabricator around the station to feed to the new special assemblers without needing to ever use the smelter right?
Silvercloud29 Wrote:
Paineframe Wrote:The materials rework which puts new fabricators accepting arc smelter bars all over the station seems to suggest that the arc smelter is going to stay public-access now. If you don't like destructive shenanigans, go bust people up when you see them doing it, since there's absolutely nothing stopping you from walking into the arc smelter area, flashing someone, and running off with their crate of erebite.

You do know that you can pop material bars out of any fabricator around the station to feed to the new special assemblers without needing to ever use the smelter right?
Yeah, but the fact that they can be used with arc smelter bars to make items out of fancy materials strongly suggests that they're intended to be used that way.
Paineframe Wrote:Yeah, but the fact that they can be used with arc smelter bars to make items out of fancy materials strongly suggests that they're intended to be used that way.

Then the arc smelter can be used as a joint venture between QM and mining to fill orders around the station like you would place an order with QM for a crate. Maybe add a special terminal where you can write requests from the smelter.
Silvercloud29 Wrote:You do know that you can pop material bars out of any fabricator around the station to feed to the new special assemblers without needing to ever use the smelter right?

That doesn't work. You need to run it through the smelter at least once for them to take it.
Botany, barman, chemistry, medbay and mining have reasons to use the arc smelter for fun research.
And when people do new things they want to do it them selves. Not get permission from a QM...
Mining have one of the least interesting use for the arc smelter imo. Just leave it public. Not like people have been abusing the arc smelter to grief while its been general access.
I don't really like the idea of removing minibrig or moving the Arc smeltor.

That said if it does happen I think we should move minibrig closer to science and medbay. At the very least maybe add a minibrig next to medbay on the next map.

Trouble makers can get a timeout with security not having to walk as far.

Also a bored sec officer could play sec doctor.
Just to add my two cents, I have never seen the minibrig used ever as an actual brig. Only someone going in there to get some supplies and even that's a rarity.
Isaacs Alter Ego Wrote:Just to add my two cents, I have never seen the minibrig used ever as an actual brig. Only someone going in there to get some supplies and even that's a rarity.
I use it for murder sometimes.
Isaacs Alter Ego Wrote:Just to add my two cents, I have never seen the minibrig used ever as an actual brig. Only someone going in there to get some supplies and even that's a rarity.

I actually use the minibrig as a brig. It's actually harder to break out of than the normal brig.
The Arcsmelter should go where the Minibrig is, but made all-access from the side.

The Minibrig is moved to the Arc Smelter and where the Gas Tanks are. This also expands the MiniBrig and actually makes it a viable place as a rest-stop before going to the shuttle, and as a, y'know, minibrig.. The Gas Tanks can be moved immediatly below where they are now to compensate for the expansion of the mini-brig.
I bet you all want the smelter to be free access because you don't want your uber godly shit taken away from you.

Seriously, the smelter should be a mining/engineer/qm thing and even remotely wanting to get access to it should be something difficult due to the sheer amount of crap you can pull off with it.(nanomachines infused bullshit every round forever yay)

The Smelter area should not be overcrowded with mindless greyshirts fooling around 24/7 with bad intents and instead be a productive part of the station. (well we can always dream)

Restricting it to QM/miners and maybe having security watch over what jackass is trying to break into it would be a great way to actually give a purpose to QM apart from making lods of emone and ordering bees. (And actually putting pressure on miners to get materials that people ordered, instead of being happy go lucky spacedwarves who just whack at asteroids until they're bored).

The pleb would still get their materials and bars if they ask nicely and impatient jerks (much akin to the fuckfaces who break into chemistry/bar each round) would be stopped in their dumb, nearly grievous crap. This would also get miners and QM to actually learn how to make awesome materials and promote knowledge and cooperation.
And one point I forgot to include :

Currently, I view the Smelter as a magic well where everyman and his dog can and will throw random crap and infuse it with all chems they can find to get their shiny new zaubers to fuck around with.

I think it's easy to understand that it was probably intended for less chaotic purposes than just turning SS13 into space final fantasy materia hell.
Splatpope took the words outta my head. I agree 100% with him this part for sure.

Splatpope Wrote:And one point I forgot to include :

Currently, I view the Smelter as a magic well where everyman and his dog can and will throw random crap and infuse it with all chems they can find to get their shiny new zaubers to fuck around with.

I think it's easy to understand that it was probably intended for less chaotic purposes than just turning SS13 into space final fantasy materia hell.
Taking away the assistant's suicider Zipgun and meth armor is just cruel man.