Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arc Smelter area suggestions
I think it's been long enough that the smelter has been... Accessible for everyone to play with now. It should be moved and closed off now. I was thinking we should put it between mining and QM's hanger, so both sides can access it. (This would mean that the miners have access to the mining pod in the QM's hanger bay if placed correctly) Then move the security office infront of it with no connections to it.

Also. Even though the new material anaylers are nice and handheld and all... They cannot scan the more... Volital ores that come in or stuff mixed with them. Since counting the click on the preticular ore counts hitting it, it explodes. So we could use the old stationary computer back.

TLbig grinR. Move the smelter so the non-engineering scrubs can't use it. And readd the Material Scanning computer back in since the handhelds blow up erebite on contact.
I am against literally everything you just suggested.
It's already on the old Mining Station, I think just removing the station-based one would work fine.
The smelter is a little OP at times. Should make the smelter a little harder to get to like throw it in a space derelict or something.
No please, where am I going to do bullet science then.
The admins said orginally back when it was first added that full station access to the smelter was only going to last for so long. Removing it from the station kinda works against it since the admins pretty much kicked mining out of mining so the best spot would be to move it between QM and mining with access blocked to anyone not in QM or mining.

I know this may make people sad, however it wasn't the intention to have everyone access it for a long period of time in the first place. Plus it would reduce the whole stigma of erebite and other negitve effects this is starting to have round to round. Like random jackholes stolling in making port pot bullets and shit
It's not like a door or two is going to stop people from using the smelter. All it takes is a screw driver and a multitool and suddenly everyone has access to the smelter.
I know restricting access to the smelter later in development was the original plan, but plans change; people are quite accustomed to it being public access now, and it's lead to all sorts of amazing shenanigans. Maybe the public access could use some prettying up, but I think it should still be available to everyone without the need for hacking.
Sure you can break into anywhere on the station. At least if its behind a door or two and some walls it makes it harder, the people working in those departments might police them (Like flash and remove the guy) Or just simply call security over and have them deal with it. Asit stands now, anyone can access it so it's not securities jobtoevencare it exsits.

No one is going to give a shit if a greyshirt steals somethingfrom manitance or tool storage because it's there for pretty much everyone. Sone one is going to complane or beat the shit out the greyshirt that breaks into and stealing shit out of engineering storage, or the pharmacy.
SL the Pyro Wrote:I know restricting access to the smelter later in development was the original plan, but plans change; people are quite accustomed to it being public access now, and it's lead to all sorts of amazing shenanigans. Maybe the public access could use some prettying up, but I think it should still be available to everyone without the need for hacking.

This is like saying we should have chem dispensers out in the halls instead of science since everyone likes making hellmixes and letting them go on the shuttle.
You can't do anything dangerous or traitorous with the smelter by itself so uh
I don't see why making it harder to get to is going to help
Yeah you literally can't really do much with the smelter unless you have access to mining/QM, or maybe access to chemical stuff. Staff assistants aren't generally going to have piles of erebite sitting around unless a miner brings it out there and dumps it all on the ground at the same time which theyyyyyy really shouldn't do anyway.
Also if we're talking about dumb public access things if bartender isn't around you can literally break into bar and just make most dangerous chemicals in there.

Also most of the map is generally designed that a set of tools or some minor vandalism will get you anywhere besides bridge and botany, and that's assuming you don't want to break in from space.

I can count at least one easy way to break into chemistry that doesn't involve that table.

I say leave materials research but maybe add more helpful combinations and list them in the wiki.

If people have a good use for metals or whatever that doesn't involve explosives they'll do that instead probably.

For instance space cleaner + mineral should make a material that never gets dirty. Finally you have a spiffy labcoat or armor that can't stain.

Also I think combining things with chocolate or other edible reagents should make materials you can eat without frying.
As a scientist, miner, HoP, or captain that's been working with material science since day one, it's a goddamn pain in the ass, help or otherwise, to coordinate work well enough to get the smelter working as is.

Putting another barrier between what is the first that might come in interdepartmental interaction is only going to shut down interest in something that's already tough as heck to work with.
I made this thread knowing full well people are going to rage at it. I figured at least one or two people would understand the decision behind the post. Aka. making it just a bit harder for bad people to make bad things.

APARTHEID Wrote:As a scientist, miner, HoP, or captain that's been working with material science since day one, it's a goddamn pain in the ass, help or otherwise, to coordinate work well enough to get the smelter working as is.

Putting another barrier between what is the first that might come in interdepartmental interaction is only going to shut down interest in something that's already tough as heck to work with.

You do realise where I am suggesting putting it between Mining and the QM hanger right? Sort of like this...

[Image: uYKsGe5.png]

Thats not final. Cog would work it around as needed but this would give EASIER access to QM and the miners an area to work together and share materials faster. Making it more ideal for what you mentioned Apartheid