Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long chat post triggering a bunch of interface bugs?
At first I thought the deadchat toggle button might be responsible for this, but looking back at it I'm pretty sure it was an overly-long copy-paste of something I had seen as a ghost that caused it. After that long chat post, the chat window wouldn't scroll down to keep up with new replies, and even if I scrolled down manually, the window would often snap back up to that long chat post. On top of that, whenever I typed something beginning with "say" in the text field, it'd get erased within a couple seconds at most, so that I basically couldn't use that command that way. If I typed "say" then hit enter, the separate window worked fine. If I just typed random letters into the text field, I never got cut off.

After a few minutes, I disconnected and reconnected, but that didn't seem to fix it. Then someone borged me, and I seemed to be deaf, I couldn't see any chat messages aside from a larger-than-usual number of the messages in italics you get when you, as a living person, almost-hear a ghost. I missed my chance to screenshot that, but yeah, everything worked fine, except things behaved pretty much like I was deaf, as a borg. I suicided, immediately became a ghost, and suddenly I could hear and all of the other bugs went away immediately.

This is pretty weird and I'd chalk it up to BYOND being so uh, robust, since I can't replicate it and it's just pretty weird. But yeah. Copy/pasting too much stuff at once into the chat might be bad. Might have something to do with the text being copied from the chat itself, too.
If you have something highlighted in the chat, it'll keep scrolling back to it. That might partly explain what happened.
I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case, it lasted for a good 10 minutes and I did a lot of messing around that would have removed the highlight. I didn't know about that though, so I didn't check, it could be what caused that particular problem.
NewChat ™ has fixed this.