Mentor Application: SARazage - Zhar The Mad/Supreme Soviet
Usual Character Name: I've had a few. Most often is Zhar The Mad. I've also used Supreme Soviet, and way back I was Donald Hussain.
BYOND Username: SARazage
Recommended by (if applicable): Nope
Times Available: Weekends from around 12 pm - 6 pm MST, Weekdays from 6 pm - 9 pm MST.

Reason for Application + Game Experience (300 word minimum):
I've played for a while and figure now I should go on ahead and help out new players with their array of questions. SS13 is not an easy game to learn how to play, and when I started, the only people to ask for help were whomever I was saddled with in my department. This went about as well as could be expected. I was lucky to know about the wiki and have a few sources of information to learn the basics back then. However, sitting down to learn how to start the engine or do very basic job type stuff was difficult. Mostly I learned from watching others, but that means that I wasn't even playing the game just learning how to play the game. With a game like SS13 that has such a steep learning curve, I think it's good we now have people on staff that can provide some quick answers to simple questions and even direct people to the resources like the wiki and these forums.

I've been playing for a long time, my name from way back was Donald Hussain, and I've been playing off and on since Ovary Station. I've played all traitor roles and positions on the station and know them all very well. I can do pretty much everything on the station to an advanced level. Part of this learning process involved a lot of trial and error, and I think some of that is necessary, but if there were someone to explain a few basic concepts to me it would have been a lot less trial and error as well. I've also benefited from helpful very experienced players that were nice enough to show me some of the ropes as well. Beyond the round to round shenanigans, a part of playing SS13 is helping other players progressively learn the game, because I think this is one of those games that people never stop learning.

It's also something to note that there are legitimate concerns about the mentor system being used for meta-gaming and so I feel I should say something there too. I'm not really a super-competitive gamer, I play more to allow everyone to have fun. I've played with some of my real-life friends on the same server before and had no problems because I always made sure to tell them that there can be no out of game communication. I also don't round grudge which is another form of meta-gaming. I really don't see the point in it and it's also just not very fun for me, or anyone else involved.

That's about it! I know what I'm doing, been doing this whole SS13 thing for a while, am not a jerk, and I want to help new players get into the game!

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum):
Look, he's an ogre, and he just wants to be an ogre. Why can't he just be an ogre? Why can't we all just be ogres?

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will):
Nope!
A chill dude who definitely seems to have the right attitude and knowledge for mentoring. Yes from me!
Nope, clearly doesn't know enough about the game, no way v

just kidding make this guy a mentor he deserves it 100%
Dude is awesome. Always experimenting, pretty much keeps to himself unless people ask him for help. I think it's appropriate. I can see no way in which him getting mentor would be anything but a plus, he's really the kind of player the mentoring system gets the best advantage of.
Quote:It's also something to note that there are legitimate concerns about the mentor system being used for meta-gaming and so I feel I should say something there too. I'm not really a super-competitive gamer, I play more to allow everyone to have fun. I've played with some of my real-life friends on the same server before and had no problems because I always made sure to tell them that there can be no out of game communication. I also don't round grudge which is another form of meta-gaming. I really don't see the point in it and it's also just not very fun for me, or anyone else involved.

I'm pretty sure I've seen you committing elaborate suicide more than I've seen you playing to win.

You're pretty cool and especially with the LP stuff seem really interested in showing the game to new players, so I'm emphatically in favor. Keep it together!
Never had a problem with Zhar and he's great with science. Sure.
Zeef Wrote:
Quote:It's also something to note that there are legitimate concerns about the mentor system being used for meta-gaming and so I feel I should say something there too. I'm not really a super-competitive gamer, I play more to allow everyone to have fun. I've played with some of my real-life friends on the same server before and had no problems because I always made sure to tell them that there can be no out of game communication. I also don't round grudge which is another form of meta-gaming. I really don't see the point in it and it's also just not very fun for me, or anyone else involved.

I'm pretty sure I've seen you committing elaborate suicide more than I've seen you playing to win.

You're pretty cool and especially with the LP stuff seem really interested in showing the game to new players, so I'm emphatically in favor. Keep it together!

It's important to be creative when killing oneself.
Informative and fun player and god damn if he doesn't have 20 videos of evidence to back that up, give him the purple.
Very cool guy. Mentor he.
y
e
s

please.
He's not already? Get on that shit! Razage is the best, definitely mentor material! He has taught me so much with his LP alone! Beret this man!
Smart and fun guy, has contributed to the community with his Let's Play.

Definitely.
Give him the nerd text, he deserves it.
most definitely
Gonna have to go with a yes for this one. He's always been pretty cool.