Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The problem with changelings
This has been bothering me for a while now, but its happened enough to me now that I've finally decided to make a thread about it.

4/5 times when I'm a changeling, I always end up being murdered by another changeling. I get randomly acid spit out of nowhere while I stalking a dark maintenance corridor, neurotoxined, and out of desperation I hit horror form and return fire with my own neurotoxin and acid spit against the other changeling leaving us both drooling and defenseless for all to see. First person to find us drags us both to the gibber and that's the end of our once a month changeling rounds.

Its just not fun! It takes all the fun our of being a changeling when every now and then the person you are eating turns into a horror and instantly incapacitates you and gets you both killed. Theres a very easy and simple solution to this problem, make changelings immune to other changelings acid spit and venom sting. It makes sense and it avoids those unfun scenarios where two changelings randomly cross paths and nuetralize each other. It could lead to situations where one changeling acid spits another, sees that the acid spit has no effect, and allows for some diplomacy to open up. The changelings would have a chance to form an alliance, plot to betray each other. As it is now both changelings panic and unless their horror forms and poisons and just end up on the floor with a big red kill me sign on each of them.
be a better changeling then
Changelings are meant to be godly in 1v1 combat and weak against combined attacks. If you allow changelings to work together inherently (as they can do on tgcode with a shared hivemind channel), things get absolutely fucking absurd for humans. Every single tgstation changeling round I have seen was of the 3-5 changelings eating/replacing heads, working together, and chain-recalling the shuttle for two hours while they eat every single person to rack up a high score.
Honestly I don't agree.
Abomination fights are very enjoyable to play as and to watch. You've got two hulking beasts beating the absolute shit out of each other. They're the biggest game, there's reason to fight them, you'll get all those delicious DNA points.

Did you ever consider escaping in an abomination fight? You can smack the shit outta windows and grills and resist the electrocution, so if you go up against a fight and the heat is on, just escape to space. If your a smart ling and you brought a fire extinguisher (any ling that doesn't do this should be scorned) you'll make a quick, yet drooling, escape. Meanwhile the other abomination probably gets royally fucked by the crew because it's weak to them.

Changelings are VERY powerful. I can speak for alot of people that having changelings even get the chance to team up sounds like an unholy nightmare for the crew.
From what I've seen though both changelings neurotoxin and acid spit each other and end up both passing out for several minutes. That's my complaint as there's no way to defend against the neurotoxin or acid spit other than to acid spit or neurotoxin first.
Not to mention that the neurotoxin messes up your vision so badly you cant see anything.
It'd be neat if changeling fights were more interesting. Right now they just end up acid spitting and stinging each other then both falling asleep from the neurotoxin before they can do anything to each other, and if no one catches and gibs them during naptime, then whichever one stung second wakes up first and immediately murders the other one.
Changelings should be slightly immune to other changeling abilities, so its less likely that you'll be eaten by another ling one minute in, but still has potential for them to murder each other.