Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telescience Computers in the Adventure Area entrances
This is more of a general complaint than a suggestion, but I've always found it kind've backhanded that the Adventure Areas can be portalled into, but don't have an option to portal out of. Not all of us get hand-teles and you never know when some ignorant Scientist will start messing with telesci while you're on an expedition. I really, really think we need a general "go back to station" option right at the entrance to the Adventure Areas.
Yeah I agree with this. It's not too bad just make it have a normal teleporter like the one at the diner or end of the Void that you need to fix up to get it working.
only if the telescience board is somewhere near the end of the area, so people still have a challenge/traitors who teleport people there aren't immediately screwed over
SL the Pyro Wrote:Not all of us get hand-teles

Hand teles don't work on that Z.

Telepads don't work without a mainframe.

This idea is basically garbage on many levels. Get an expedition controller that can be trusted.
As mentioned in the other thread suggesting this:
Getting stranded is part of the risks you take when you use telescience. Deal with it.
Unless your way of dealing with it is making these threads, in that case please don't
I think he meant a teleport computer like the one above EVA, not the telepad. And on that note, if you're really worried about it, spend some time and borrow one of the mechanic's device analyzers and crap out a frame and extra teleporter board, and build your own way back.
Actually if you're doing that you might as well visit the Tech Outpost on the mining Z-level and grab supplies there, since you can scan a copy of the teleporter components and computer board in the diner, without having to bust into the mechanics area. You'd just need to borrow some glass, wires, and metal from somewhere (and even that isn't terribly difficult to come across).

Plus, if you take along a beacon or manufacture a new one, you'll be able to teleport back and forth from the computer without issue.
Marquesas Wrote:This idea is basically garbage on many levels. Get an expedition controller that can be trusted.
That doesn't make a difference when you are 160 minutes into your powerquest and meteors strike.
Kovirii Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:This idea is basically garbage on many levels. Get an expedition controller that can be trusted.
That doesn't make a difference when you are 160 minutes into your powerquest and meteors strike.

Some things just aren't meant to be. Telesci is supposed to be a cooperative thing, get a controller or work around the issues you might face. Especially now that major random events are disabled on lowpop.
Spy_Guy Wrote:Especially now that major random events are disabled on lowpop.

So you mean to tell me grade 30 meteor strikes are _minor_ random events? Because two out of three rounds of 7-10 people was fucked up by one of those.
Zamujasa Wrote:Actually if you're doing that you might as well visit the Tech Outpost on the mining Z-level and grab supplies there, since you can scan a copy of the teleporter components and computer board in the diner, without having to bust into the mechanics area. You'd just need to borrow some glass, wires, and metal from somewhere (and even that isn't terribly difficult to come across).

Plus, if you take along a beacon or manufacture a new one, you'll be able to teleport back and forth from the computer without issue.

I've never tested this, but if hand teles don't work on that zlevel, do regular teleporters? Isn't the void on that zlevel, though? If so, then yeah, teleporters should work, since that one does.
How about this as a compromise? Give telescience its own port-a-medbay type thing (people use it for that purpose anyway). It could even just be a recolor, since I don't think the pod part actually does anything. But, ONLY ONE. If someone loses the remote, or goes back with it, or falls into lava, the rest are screwed. That way, expeditions have a convenient way back, but there's still danger, and the port-a-medbay remote might not be continuously stolen. roll eyes (sarcastic)
QP Evergrande Wrote:How about this as a compromise? Give telescience its own port-a-medbay type thing (people use it for that purpose anyway). It could even just be a recolor, since I don't think the pod part actually does anything. But, ONLY ONE. If someone loses the remote, or goes back with it, or falls into lava, the rest are screwed. That way, expeditions have a convenient way back, but there's still danger, and the port-a-medbay remote might not be continuously stolen. roll eyes (sarcastic)
Dunno about that. I'm pretty sure people would just take both instead of just the portamedbay.
QP Evergrande Wrote:How about this as a compromise? Give telescience its own port-a-medbay type thing (people use it for that purpose anyway). It could even just be a recolor, since I don't think the pod part actually does anything. But, ONLY ONE. If someone loses the remote, or goes back with it, or falls into lava, the rest are screwed. That way, expeditions have a convenient way back, but there's still danger, and the port-a-medbay remote might not be continuously stolen. roll eyes (sarcastic)

This.

There was a suggestion earlier that the port-a-medbay sees little use for actual medical purposes, and would be better replaced with 1 or 2 stretchers, which would have a constant flow of IV(i.e: salbutamol+ salicylic acid combo, as it would replace the CPR actions) and have a heart monitor. The injured would have to be dragged, but that's so much more fun than instant teleportation where the injured might be dead by the time you got back (read might: as almost always)
The port-a-med would could be renamed and recolored as a port-a-evac.
Example:
[Image: 0zorMPk.png]
Everybody wins.
The real question is why the port-a-medbay can't be constructed through mechanics and have their home locations set.