Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
remove Spy game mode, add Team Deathmatch game mode
I know I probably sound like a total tool just asking for a Team Deathmatch mode at all, but just hear me out.

The idea came to me from something Heiraphont occasionally does (and for this reason I give him full credit for the idea), calling it "Unity mode" or something. The gimmick was as follows: the crew is split into four teams, consisting of Kitchen/Botany/Chaplain, Bridge/Security/HoP/Detective, Research/Medical, and Engineering/QM/Mining. Staff Assistants could be recruited by whoever finds them first. There would be a few minutes of prep-time, during which everyone would be allowed to create weapons, order Syndicate items, cook up a plan with the their team, etc. Once the prep-time was over, all hell would break loose as the teams would unload on each other. Heiraphont would call the shuttle a half-hour or so later, and the team that escapes wins - and only one team could escape, if a second team weaseled onto the shuttle, Bad Things would happen.

It doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult to code into the game with a few automation tweaks. Mindslave Implants could cause the implantee to switch teams (or just not be available). There could be a score counter set up to keep track of the win ratios (Heiraphont personally keeps track of these). Multiple teams being on the Escape Shuttle at the time of departure could get them locked into a Sudden Death-ish scenario where all the offending teammates must be eliminated before the shuttle can reach Centcom.

I put this idea forward mainly because the other "team" game modes like Spy and Gang, while they look good on paper, ultimately devolve into killing sprees one way or another. If people are just going to use these game modes as an excuse to force Team Deathmatch-like circumstances onto less-fortunate players, then we might as well just have a fucking Team Deathmatch mode.
I quite like Spy, and while it's not without its faults it's far better than TDM would be. Team Deathmatch WAS in the game, but removed because byond's combat engine sucks - at least with spy the opportunity for subtlety exists. Spy should not be removed and I'd be apprehensive at best about adding a TDM mode in.
I've had it suggested by players that this be a permanent game mode, and it would never work. For starters, my tribe warfare rounds are TERRIBLY unbalanced. And chaos is really more fun in measured doses, not when it's something that happens every X amount of rounds.

I am glad to see people enjoy it, but I don't think it would be fun after the 50th time in a week.

edit: As a side note? I get as much people saying they hate those rounds as those saying they love it. I think it'd drive far too many people away from the rounds.
it'd be funnier to have the round type hidden and then assign everyone a random team 10 minutes in and see what happens
SL I've gatta disagree with you here. Spy is shit, but team deathmatch would be worse. I already hate gang.