Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recycler QOL improvements
Right now, recycling units can accept everything, including things that you can't process. It would be swell if they'd only accept materials they can reprocess.

It would also be nice if they could accept things from containers-inside-containers, e.g. the QM's "Electrical Supplies Crate", simply because removing all of the cabling from every box and inserting it manually is really slow and tedious compared to the other raw materials you can purchase.
This sounds pretty good

There are some other problems with it too though: it doesn't accept reinforced metal or glass, which is just finicky and bad imo

If it were to go the other way, it'd be cool if it could process anything down. Toss your PDA in, get 1 molitz 1 pharosium! Throw in your old crowbar, 1 mauxite! And other lovely shit like that.
Quote:Pubbie Jones climbs into the Recycling Unit!
Recycling Unit starts making horrible grinding and squelching noises!

The original idea behind recyclers and generic garbage was to use the crusher unit in disposals, then feed the generated scrap into a recycler. In practice I have never seen this happen, so I'm all for having recyclers able to actually recycle other junk.
Maybe shit that gets grinded should just auto feed into a recycler? Your hint that someone has been murdered is an occasional hand or bloody organ popping out of a manufacturer.
Or maybe anything organic just goes towards genetics cloning vats, or becomes a foodpaste for the chef?
Frank_Stein Wrote:Maybe shit that gets grinded should just auto feed into a recycler? Your hint that someone has been murdered is an occasional hand or bloody organ popping out of a manufacturer.

Frank_Stein Wrote:Or maybe anything organic just goes towards genetics cloning vats, or becomes a foodpaste for the chef?

This is a great idea that leads into a really neato feature idea: what if the stuff you toss into the grinder gets processed evenly back around the station?
A little chute under or just past the gibber itself could allow it to get redistributed around.

Shove that bludgeoned wizard into a chute, #wow #whoa #harrypotter your local recycler now contains some fabric, and the Chef has Shitwiz Mc12Seconds paste!

The above has nothing to do with the original topic but idk I think it would be cool
I sort of think that's what's happening with the new map anyway.
Zamujasa Wrote:
Quote:Pubbie Jones climbs into the Recycling Unit!
Recycling Unit starts making horrible grinding and squelching noises!

The original idea behind recyclers and generic garbage was to use the crusher unit in disposals, then feed the generated scrap into a recycler. In practice I have never seen this happen, so I'm all for having recyclers able to actually recycle other junk.
I've done it a few times as a bored enough janitor. It's just that the current Disposals design is a tremendously shitty place for actually doing anything manually with the junk that comes in, nobody ever uses the disposal chutes for trash so there's not enough garbage to make useful amounts of scrap, and the crusher only produces one scrap per tile of items crushed (no matter how many things were on that tile) so it's damn near impossible to cook up useful amounts of scrap. Cogwerks said somewhere he was going to make scrapping actually workable on Cogmap2, though, so it might be best to hold off till then.