Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions for helping low-pop servers
erotic dad Wrote:I've always thought an in game auxiliary shuttle or quantum teleporter to transport to other servers would work, provided it filters out traitors/syndicates and people carrying horrible diseases or chems.
How do we prevent people from using the teleporter to "discover" vampires/changelings/traitors/etc.?
bubs Wrote:
pizzatiger Wrote:The way i see it you should keep server 3 and 4 because those servers are the ones with the least lag for the major playerbase.

1) I'm not SURE about this, but I think the majority of our players are still in NA (3 and 4 are the EU servers). I assume it's pretty close, either way I'm not sure.

2) Ping has very little impact on the lag in these servers. The overall lagginess of the game will barely be impacted by your own ping, it's just ~byond~. I heard it from a scientist.

3) #4 only seems like it runs faster because its hacked up to have a faster tickrate. Once you get like 60 people in there its not any better. (it may actually be on better hardware or something, idk)
I live in Wisconsin and I get better connection to #4 even when it's got 40 people than I get to #1 or #2 with no one on it.
Aye, I live in utah and I'm in the same boat as kiki.
KikiMofo Wrote:
bubs Wrote:
pizzatiger Wrote:The way i see it you should keep server 3 and 4 because those servers are the ones with the least lag for the major playerbase.

1) I'm not SURE about this, but I think the majority of our players are still in NA (3 and 4 are the EU servers). I assume it's pretty close, either way I'm not sure.

2) Ping has very little impact on the lag in these servers. The overall lagginess of the game will barely be impacted by your own ping, it's just ~byond~. I heard it from a scientist.

3) #4 only seems like it runs faster because its hacked up to have a faster tickrate. Once you get like 60 people in there its not any better. (it may actually be on better hardware or something, idk)
I live in Wisconsin and I get better connection to #4 even when it's got 40 people than I get to #1 or #2 with no one on it.
The reason #4 is faster isn't because your connection is better, it's because the server is set to run faster. Connection speed has basically nothing to do with it, most BYOND lag is server-side. Every SS13 server has a "max speed" that can be set, and for some reason #4 is set higher than 1-3, which makes everything run faster normally (but actually makes it perform even worse in laggy situations).
Then uh why don't we set the other servers like that?