Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientist Loadable Vending Machine
Outside of research, add a vending machine scientists can load with chems they make/find and let them apply a price to said chems. Made 39 syringes of meth? Awesome, stick in your ID, load them up, link them to your account and set a price you think is fair. An awesome crystolane/Cryoxadone savior patch that could help someone in a pinch? Load it up, set your price. A few beakers of space drugs? Load it up, set your price, and allow the vending machine to offer to store it and sell it in syringes, patches, or just take the beaker itself and sell the beaker (this lets them keep the beaker if the only want to offload the chem itself).

An emagged vending machine could even be set up to fire darts of a chem at passers by. The Ai would have on off access.

Not all scientists would utilize it, and some would sell some nasty stuff, BUT it gives a chance for some positive stuff to get more circulation and allows people to get some chems they want without shoving their way into chemistry and annoying other scientists.
End-user loadable vending machines were suggested before and they really should be a thing, not just for scientists but anybody else who ends up creating cool shit.
How about have one start in mechanics, then they can go around to other departments and give (see: sell) one to them. Another idea is that you tie your id to whatever item you are selling. This way multiple people can share one vending machine and whenever somebody buys an item tied to a person's id the money goes to their account.
yeah that's why you stick your ID in in my proposal :p, so when you set the price it gets dumped to you. Maybe a slight cut kicked back to the station.
Oh and the one I am proposing is slightly science specific given the nature of pouring chems into it, HOWEVER, it could be modified to be more versatile.
I would assume you wouldn't just dump the chemicals themselves into the vendor, you'd stock it with patches, pill bottles, and bottles of the stuff. That way you could also load up all twenty C-sabers the traitor mechanic made as well. v

There might need to be some way to keep people from labeling a bottle as Omnizine when it's actually a mix of Sulfanol and Ice Spiders. Or not. Caveat Emptor!
There's already a way to do that: Beatings.
Well part of just dumping the chemical in there and letting the machine label it and distribute the container is that that prevents that, the other part is that it keeps containers and the like from being used up
Problem: When do chemists on goon server actually make things that are intended to heal people? Most of the time I spent in chem lab I saw people testing out optimal flamethrower mixes, making Sarin, or just setting monkeys on fire. Hell, most of the time I seen scientists break into the pharmacy by taking out reinforced table that splits chem lab from it. Steal the large beakers of healing medication (like the Styptic powder reserve beakers) Dump them out on the floor so that they can use the beakers to make more lethal shit.

To be honest its a nice idea, I saw this on TG station but... This isn't TG station and it will most likely not get used even if it was implemented.
Silvercloud29 Wrote:Problem: When do chemists on goon server actually make things that are intended to heal people? Most of the time I spent in chem lab I saw people testing out optimal flamethrower mixes, making Sarin, or just setting monkeys on fire. Hell, most of the time I seen scientists break into the pharmacy by taking out reinforced table that splits chem lab from it. Steal the large beakers of healing medication (like the Styptic powder reserve beakers) Dump them out on the floor so that they can use the beakers to make more lethal shit.

To be honest its a nice idea, I saw this on TG station but... This isn't TG station and it will most likely not get used even if it was implemented.

You also forget this is goon and if you're healing someone you're also likely trying to kill someone at the same moment.

It'd see plenty of use, especially in silly gimmicks, assisted suicide, and even traitoring via the power of mislabeled pills and dubious syringes allegedly full of bathsalts.

Also I'd think it'd be hilarious if an emagged version of this fired out pills and syringes you put in it like a hacked vending machine, but made it inject into the person/force them to swallow the pill. Causally strolling in the hall when a wonky sparking crazed vending machine fires out some of it's stock at you, impaling directly into you and pumping you full of the radium/catdrugs/spacedrugs/neurotoxin/initro/bee.
I think the main reason why no one bothers making healing chems is because medbay has so fucking much of everything, and it's far easier to break a few windows to get into the pharmacy and loot one of the many medkits, or dump an entire styptic beaker on yourself. Granted, no one ever made healing chems before, either. v

I dunno about anyone else, but if I could charge people money for a patch that would concievably heal them from crit to full for a few hundred credits(or more, depending on how capitalist I feel), along with entire bottles of sarin, wall busters, and whatever other horrific crap I can concieve, it'd give me a reason to make more than whatever hellmixes or personal healing chems I usually make.

Ontop of all that, it's also another thing for people to potentially spend money on, which is always a good thing.
Well, that and the fact that making things in large batches (e.g. synthflesh) is really tedious and boring.

Making self-serve patches and charging for them seems like a good idea.
david2222121 Wrote:I think the main reason why no one bothers making healing chems is because medbay has so fucking much of everything, and it's far easier to break a few windows to get into the pharmacy and loot one of the many medkits, or dump an entire styptic beaker on yourself. Granted, no one ever made healing chems before, either. v

I dunno about anyone else, but if I could charge people money for a patch that would concievably heal them from crit to full for a few hundred credits(or more, depending on how capitalist I feel), along with entire bottles of sarin, wall busters, and whatever other horrific crap I can concieve, it'd give me a reason to make more than whatever hellmixes or personal healing chems I usually make.

Ontop of all that, it's also another thing for people to potentially spend money on, which is always a good thing.
Throw syndie cleaner grenades in the pharmacy every round in my opinion.
Zamujasa Wrote:Well, that and the fact that making things in large batches (e.g. synthflesh) is really tedious and boring.

Making self-serve patches and charging for them seems like a good idea.
Synthflesh is stupendously easy to make. Instead of dumping the Styptic Reserve Tank you stole from Medbay (because that's what scientists DO) onto the floor, use it to make synthflesh, since going from styptic to synthflesh is way easier than making styptic from scratch. It's more difficult to get the doctors to actually use it, since communication between chemists and doctors is surprisingly difficult and most of the time they ignore each other. If I'm a doctor asking Chemistry to make something, they'll ignore me, but if I'm a chemist making things for Medbay without being asked, it's just about guaranteed they're going to sit unused and unnoticed on the floor or table for the entire round. In theory, the Research Director and Medical Director have access to both the Research and Medical frequencies so they ought to be able to coordinate it, but even the doctors don't use the medical frequency.
I'd like to add to the suggestion that any chems loaded should, under their purchase description, include their function similar to if you had analyzed them. This would also serve to further educate people in chems. There is already an open slot above the two vending machines just north of medbay. You could pop it in there. If this was a thing that could be made I'd be happy to take a crack at spriting it.