HoS Application Isaac Kirkhope/Weavel
Usual Character Name: Isaac Kirkhope, occasionally go as Hulk Hogan or random-name folks
BYOND Username: Weavel
Recommended by (if applicable): a really really big pile of dudes and I can't remember everyone there are like 11 of them
Times Available: Pretty much every night of GMT 00:00

Reason for Application (300 word minimum):
I've been playing SS13 for just over two years now, and I've spent a grand total of one round somewhere that wasn't on Goonstation. I have been a mentor since Shroom Station was around! I've always enjoyed playing on Goon and I want to try give a bit back I guess.
I've been repeatedly putting off an application because I was having trouble justifying writing 600+ words for a video game and not doing college work, but I'm writing this in work so that makes it ok!!!
One of the main reasons I'm applying is because there is sort of a lack of organisation behind Sec recently. It's hard to get 5 dorks motivated to be anything more than vaguely useless, so I figured if I take the non-lethal initiative to the next level it could very much work out better for everyone. Another reason was that when I asked people if they'd support me going for the position, I was repeatedly met with "I thought you already were a Head of Security", which was genuinely flattering in a way and sort of spurred this application on.
I was afraid to post this as I thought folks were against me, so it's nice to get feedback.

I like to think I'm a good constructive member of Goon overall and since starting I've brought whatever attitude I arrived with down to nil; I don't get mad at all nowadays, I don't hold grudges or even memories of shit things really. I've had nearly entirely pleasant experiences here so I don't have much to say on any of that.
I get on great with pretty much everyone ranging from normal players up to admin staff, both in game and on IRC. I've never had an incident (brought to my knowledge at least) with admins or players that has ever brought into question my mentorship, or suggested that I would be banned in any way, and last time I checked with an admin I had no notes or negative strikes.
I used to be generally pretty awful when I first arrived, but the only real incident I can remember is me having a chat with Wonk after I uploaded an exceptionally shit law as the Captain, where I just said to him I was trying harder and would work on it and he thought that was OK.
I've been very steadfast in reporting bugs and glitches along with awful players, and I've been on-off fiddling with information on the Wiki, too.

My own knowledge of the game goes pretty deep; I've been here long enough that can do any job competently, and have a real depth of knowledge of Research. I'm already a mentor, but I figure it's nice to put it down.

Security Experience (300 word minimum):

I've been a very very fair cop in my time in Security. From incidents ranging all the way back to my original mentorship, I've been very very against killing folks except in the absolute most dire of circumstances. For a while I was an angry shite but I have absolutely tossed that attitude and completely changed how I play Security. I've openly said to traitors "Oh no you got away!!!" as they stood complaining in cuffs and I pushed them away from me, I nearly always give people brig sentances under 4 minutes, and always always make sure that there's some way for the bad dude in question to retrieve their items. Often I leave them in the open, in a confiscation locker or even just on their person if they apologize hard enough.
I've taken in anyone ranging from simple dorks who have bad items to fully powered vampires with punishment upwards of a stern talking to and a slap on the wrist. I even took a vampire in recently and, for his co-operation with the Security force, we let him partially eat one of the ultrahorrid aggressive shitlers we had been repeatedly dealing with all round! F U N
My entire attitude to security as a presence is this: you should be available to help when needed, and ready to sit back when not. If there's a very friendly vampire happily drinking monkeys in the bar 3 minutes into the round, don't immediately start beating him! If the traitor you arrested is super super sorry about killing the Research Director with his sword, take it away from him and chuck him out, don't stab him! There is really honestly no excuse to kill a traitor if you have alternative methods at your disposal, and as Security it's not like you can't stun or disarm him in some way. Tasers! Flashbangs or flashes! Cuffs! Point-blank smoke launcher! It's infinitely more satisfying to hear a bad dude grumbling and complaining about being arrested than the cold icy silence of death, plus if he acts up again you're perfectly within your rights to kill him at that stage. It is absolutely not about "winning".

In regards to the less-than-human members of staff, most of the time you can sort of justify killing these, but again, unless they're actively trying to eat you, there's not really a need especially when they're casually chatting to you in cuffs or something. Surely that changeling that promised not to eat anyone wouldn't break his promise right? SURELY the vampire won't scream any more huh??? It's a hell of a lot more fun fighting these dudes than the dorky griefers that seem to be resurfacing to fight Sec at the moment. Though Syndies and Wizards mostly need to die ASAP, you can still do a case-by-case basis for baddies.
HOWEVER, this is not a slight against anyone who does kill! Sometimes someone is just too big a threat, a burden or a shitbag to leave alive, and they very often are ruining the days of other people. If you keep on letting these dudes out and they never learn, sure, teach him how much a laser hurts and chuck him out again, but just remember there has to be leeway or people get very disenchanted with Sec actually helping them. Nobody should ever be afraid to adminhelp suspect offenders, too.
And again along with this, there is no obligation to an officer to play the way I do or like, but I'd hope people would do it.

Apart from the above I just want to reiterate that my attitude as a HoS is one of serenity; you're not there to actively hunt down members of staff, you're there to protect them! Be an antagonist to the antagonists; you fight them, they fight you! You show up, they run off! You stun and cuff, they grumble towards Sec and then "escape"! The whole reason for your existence is to make it fun for everyone to play including yourself and the bad dudes, and there is nothing less fun than not doing anything because you're dead and welded into a locker or something. A HoS should make sure his staff aren't doing that.
As a quick note, along with the mentality I have, I am also particularly robust *flex *flex, though I don't see that as vital for the job as the mentality.
tldr i dont kill people for nothing and i let most baddies go for fun please elect me for hat

also after writing all of this i realise I sound super very serious, this is a farty space game and i want to be the cops

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc):
I honestly have no real issues with the Brig at the moment. From the point of view of a staff member, having Segways in both rooms helps you irritate the cops and try escape, and there's a lot of space to run, hide and a few ways in and out. From the point of view of an officer, it's generally a fairly safe and secure place to be, with the few ways in restricted to those who hack or bust the windows. I guess it'd be nice to have a second single-person cell, but it's not 100% needed.
What I WOULD like to see is the Bomb Suits available to regular officers. With the advent of the smelter, mauxite jumpsuits make the old EOD suits really redundant, as they protect from blasts entirely with no speed penalty, so I think having the big chunky ones available at round start would be a nice boon to them.
Just toss them in a dustly old maintenance room behind Sec, two suits on racks. Why not?

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum): shrek was good, now isn't

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): I was banned by InfiniteMonkeys for 1 minute for mocking his musical tastes, how horrifying

hats are better than berets
A good application, good ideology, a good person both in-game and out.

[Image: thumbsupcomputerkid.gif]
So, you finally wrote your application! (I was one of the people bugging you.) From what I've seen, you would be entirely suitable for the job.
Long-time good player. Weavel will be a good Head of Security.
You're better than me and I have the fucking beret, it was about time.

Yes.
-Yes-, a well known guy who clearly has a load of community support.
This spaceman is a good spaceman.
definitely yes
tl;dr

Yes
How many of you idiots have I said "I thought you were HoS already" to?

Because yeah. Give this man he badge. I also wish I could take that entire thing about security's ideal role and dip it in gold and hang it over Security's door (and then use it to murder those fuckmunches who keep breaking into sec to mess with them round after round)
Fun and cool guy, give him the badge and the hat

not to beat a dead horse but I did think you were HoS already jeez
a definite, resounding yes
Quote:I've openly said to traitors "Oh no you got away!!!" as they stood complaining in cuffs and I pushed them away from me, I nearly always give people brig sentances under 4 minutes, and always always make sure that there's some way for the bad dude in question to retrieve their items. Often I leave them in the open, in a confiscation locker or even just on their person if they apologize hard enough.

Long ago we had supercop applicants who were all about getting big guns and STOPPING DA TRAITORS and CLEANING UP SHITCURITY.

Then we got tired of that and had a buncha people taking it easy.

Now we have this, fucking blatantly bragging about letting people go and giving them their shit. I'm as much in favor of being a chill hos as the next guy, but you're still a guard and intentionally doing it to this degree falls under "helping the traitors."

Further to this, when you put it all out on front street like that and its all comes off as so planned and deliberate (because it is), it totally ruins the POINT of it.
bubs Wrote:Long ago we had supercop applicants who were all about getting big guns and STOPPING DA TRAITORS and CLEANING UP SHITCURITY.

Then we got tired of that and had a buncha people taking it easy.

Now we have this, fucking blatantly bragging about letting people go and giving them their shit. I'm as much in favor of being a chill hos as the next guy, but you're still a guard and intentionally doing it to this degree falls under "helping the traitors."

Further to this, when you put it all out on front street like that and its all comes off as so planned and deliberate (because it is), it totally ruins the POINT of it.

Anything they could use to really harm someone is taken, I should have specified that. I know well I am still security but there has to be leeway; I confiscate swords, guns etc but maybe I leave a chameleon projector at max? It's situational, depends on round time and crimes. I'm not actively waving at guys with shotguns shooting the bar or helping a guy strangle a passerby, they're all arrested and searched and have lethality removed. It's not supposed to be about helping bad guys, it's all non-lethality and second-chances for both sides.

Recent example: I let a dude go in maint in cuffs after taking his bag of guns, he came back disarming me so I put him in a cell, came back again with the same shit and again was jailed. By the end he was utterly unarmed and still attacking me, so I lasered him once and threw him out in cuffs with no ID or shoes.

That example is what I meant by that paragraph; all his shit was in a bag somewhere in the brig, and I let him back out a lot, so if he was a more interesting dude could either reform identity or try raid for his bag. At any point past the third or so attack other cops start killing, that's what I'm against and I don't think I portrayed it perfectly. It isn't "don't hurt bad guys" at all, and it certainly isn't about helping them! My original post sounds a bit soft I guess.
About time you applied scrub. Yes.

bubs Wrote:Further to this, when you put it all out on front street like that and its all comes off as so planned and deliberate (because it is), it totally ruins the POINT of it.

Traitor numbers have been low for a long while. If you kill them, there's nobody to raise chaos, if you secure traitor item so that they have to spend 15 minutes recovering them, you are just frustrating people.
And it's not like every traitor you catch will fall after a legendary shootout, a lot of guys (specially the new ones) get caught on their first attempt to do anything.
I don't really enjoy sentencing people that I catch for being clumsy - I end up doing the same thing as Isaac. They have to at least put up a big fight for me to feel that I've earned some right to punish or kill them when they go down.