Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explosion power is bugged (?)
mozi Wrote:Exploding abandoned crates do 0 damage now.

That does kill the risk of opening them, I guess.
I'm personally in favor of returning the chems to the pre-nerf strengths.

On another note, mining charges seem to work well on asteroids now, but I dunno how they work on the station.
Okay, so, mining charges are still quite underpowered when hacked to explode on things other than asteroids.
Just gonna go ahead and quote this from the more specific topic I made:

ClockworkCupcake Wrote:At the moment a single point-blank trick cigarette will do about 20 damage and blow off a limb and maybe leave the floor tile underneath scorched. From a couple tiles away it'll knock someone down without doing any damage. A stack of twelve didn't break through the hull at all.

In short they're really really wimpy. They used to bust open a single tile of hull before explosions got really potent, I think.

Microbombs might be a little weak now as well, they do stack but I just watched a guy hit point-blank by microbombs - not sure how many - walk away with light injuries.
Somehow, even the Omega Battledrone's explosive blasts are broken now.
Noah Buttes Wrote:Somehow, even the Omega Battledrone's explosive blasts are broken now.

Can confirm, the missiles don't even break windows. I took a direct hit while in a sec pod and took a grand total of 2.78888 hull damage. woah man
yeah we had an asteroid in magnetics earlier with 3(!!) explosive rocks and they dont do damage unless youre within like 4 tiles

if you guys dont remember it used to be those things would destroy an entire screen's worth of asteroid and if you were anywhere near having it on screen it would turn you inside out on a whim

so yes i vote for annoyingly insane explosions instead of WOOPS YOU TRIPPED LOL explosions because unintentionally blowing up the station is more fun than spending a traitor round in chem/toxins making firecrackers
Okay, I was just able to test a bunch of different explosives at some length.

The following things seem fine:
pipe bombs
Nuke op RPGs
black powder (at high concentrations?) - note that this might be a little iffy, I had trouble getting the powder on the floor to actually detonate
Potassium/water (this was weak but it's really meant to be weak)

The following seem unusually weak:
Trick cigarettes - useless at anything less than point-blank range, will only do about 20 brute and maybe take a limb off point-blank
Microbombs? - I don't remember how strong they were exactly before explosions were dialed way up, but they could stand to be a bit buffer either way? Gibbed the implantee as expected but only did ~20 damage to adjacent test subjects.

The following seem weak to the point of being broken:
Hacked mining charges, breaching charges - these are just plain broken, they didn't reliably do any property damage at all - they scratched up the floor tiles a bit, broke a light they were placed on top of, and one out of four or so tests knocked the plating off a wall
PDA bombs shake people up a little, sometimes knock off a limb, don't really do any damage at all, don't even scorch the floors.
Dabir Wrote:PDA bombs shake people up a little, sometimes knock off a limb, don't really do any damage at all, don't even scorch the floors.
Yeah I got bombed and all it did was knock off an arm and I think I only took 10 brute?
ClockworkCupcake Wrote:The following things seem fine:
black powder (at high concentrations?) - note that this might be a little iffy, I had trouble getting the powder on the floor to actually detonate

I can confirm that black powder works just fine when detonated in a single high volume explosion.
After further testing, I rescind my previous statement.

Large amounts of black powder, while still large, are nowhere near as large as they used to be. More around 9x9 rather than 21x21.
Noah Buttes Wrote:After further testing, I rescind my previous statement.

Large amounts of black powder, while still large, are nowhere near as large as they used to be. More around 9x9 rather than 21x21.
When you are talking large amounts how many units do you mean? When I see large amounts I think 100 units or more. Unless you mean a black powder double smoke.
Potassium+Water and making crank are reasonable again; Potassium+water only damaged the single tile its on (and knocks down people around it with no damage to them) and crank only damages the 3x3 grid where the reaction takes place (and knocks down the others around it).

It's now safe to make crank again without depressurizing all of chemistry.

Plasma bombs are stronger than they were before Tobba's code was added, but not as ridiculous as they were after he tuned it a bit.

Likewise, Black Powder seems reasonably strong, especially when used in conjunction with smoke.

I'll have to do some more testing with pipe bombs, but the only thing that really stands out as needing tuning is the microbomb; loading yourself up with 10 of them then setting it off yields a rather tiny explosion.

Overall though, the most recent explosion optimizations are excellent.
Black powder is actually pretty shitty right now in smokes and foams. In order to do any real damage, you have to actually make people flare up and get the huge 200+ unit detonations. Whereas before you could just rely on the floor black powder detonations to do your dirty work.

Also, having tested the 40mm grenade shells for the riot launcher, I can without a doubt say that they are weak as shit. They only removed the plating from a single wall!