Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explosion power is bugged (?)
At the moment a single point-blank trick cigarette will do about 20 damage and blow off a limb and maybe leave the floor tile underneath scorched. From a couple tiles away it'll knock someone down without doing any damage. A stack of twelve didn't break through the hull at all.

In short they're really really wimpy. They used to bust open a single tile of hull before explosions got really potent, I think.
ClockworkCupcake Wrote:At the moment a single point-blank trick cigarette will do about 20 damage and blow off a limb and maybe leave the floor tile underneath scorched. From a couple tiles away it'll knock someone down without doing any damage. A stack of twelve didn't break through the hull at all.

In short they're really really wimpy. They used to bust open a single tile of hull before explosions got really potent, I think.
Before this last change the trick cigs were really good and fun. Now they are just another thing no one cares to use. I dunno man, I know they were too strong before this change but now they are too weak.
A trick cig placed right next to the cloner doesn't even scratch it anymore. Likewise for a trick cig next to an APC - it'll knock the plating off the wall but won't actually damage the APC. They're now completely useless for any kind of property destruction.

And while we're on the subject of broken traitor items, is it just me or do thermite breaching charges not actually work anymore?
Paineframe Wrote:And while we're on the subject of broken traitor items, is it just me or do thermite breaching charges not actually work anymore?
Reinforced walls are problematic, yes. They tend to work more reliably on regular walls, but even then it's not a 100% success rate.
KikiMofo Wrote:
ClockworkCupcake Wrote:At the moment a single point-blank trick cigarette will do about 20 damage and blow off a limb and maybe leave the floor tile underneath scorched. From a couple tiles away it'll knock someone down without doing any damage. A stack of twelve didn't break through the hull at all.

Before this last change the trick cigs were really good and fun. Now they are just another thing no one cares to use. I dunno man, I know they were too strong before this change but now they are too weak.
To my understanding there was a big across-the-board change to tone down most explosions after they got turned way up. If you run into issues where something what goes boom seems excessively weak, you should probably bug report it.
Okay, after finally being able to test artillery pods since the explosion code changes, I can only reach one conclusion. They suck. Badly.

It takes more artillery pod shots to kill a drone than it does plain old laser shots.

Reinforced windows? 2 or more shots to break them.

R-Walls? Only the two directly hit by the shells will even be damaged, and they're still just turned into girders.
Other pods? A phaser does better against pods than the artillery system does thanks to the faster reload time on the phaser system.
Self-Damage? None. I fired pointblank, and I got ZERO damage to my pod. That makes me think that it's gotten to the point where the explosions are only one tile in size.

Now, given the high cost of the artillery system, the inability to use the stealth system along with it, and the fact that it takes so long to reload, it seems the artillery system is now useless for all intents and purposes.
If you light one while it's in a person's mouth, does it still seriously wound/kill them? I like using trick cigs because they are cheap and stylish, but I have noticed that their explosions are fairly wimpy.
A similar issue seems to effect several other explosives: Trick cigs don't even destroy the cloning pod anymore, you're lucky if a pda bomb blows off a target's limb, Black Powder foam only rarely blows holes in the floor, potassium and water reactions only seem to cause flames now, azide is quite a bit smaller, and aex shotgun ammo only knocks people down without dealing any damage.
I'll add to this, black powder doesn't even seem to break windows anymore. Pre-nerf BP foam would bust through the test chamber windows like it was nothing, but post-nerf multiple point blank detonations don't even scratch a standard reinforced window. There needs to be some kind of happy medium.
Honestly.... I don't really think there needs to be a happy medium. I kind of feel if a traitor goes through the effort to make the big booms, let him get his jollies. Small explosions all over the station are going to get the shuttle called just as readily. Explosions are supposed to be deadly and vicious, as they stand now... I could probably as a non traitor force a guy to swallow a water pill and potassium pill, and he wouldn't even care. Explosions not being explosive is saddening, how often are people's favorite screen shots a massive explosion with gibs everywhere? I'd say stamp strong explosives as working as intended.
I don't know about that, Randy. The aforementioned BP foam pre-nerf not only went straight through the test chamber windows, it killed me and 2 other people who were standing behind r walls INSTANTLY: no crit, no nothing, just straight from green health to dead, and this was several tiles away from the explosion. Considering black powder is easy to make if you know telesci or can get into botany, and can be made in really large amounts, that is way over the top. Explosions need a buff from their current state, yes, but not back to silly levels
SgtBriar Wrote:I don't know about that, Randy. The aforementioned BP foam pre-nerf not only went straight through the test chamber windows, it killed me and 2 other people who were standing behind r walls INSTANTLY: no crit, no nothing, just straight from green health to dead, and this was several tiles away from the explosion. Considering black powder is easy to make if you know telesci or can get into botany, and can be made in really large amounts, that is way over the top. Explosions need a buff from their current state, yes, but not back to silly levels
It's not that black powder is OP it's the players that are OP. They can make things very very strong in chemistry. There is no way to stop a mad chemist if they want to blow shit up. Not every random Joe is going to walk into chemistry and make a super death mix of black powder. It takes knowledge of how the game works to get it working like you say.
it's been proven on many occasions in this game that players and especially chemists can be absolute terrorists with basically nothing so attempting to balance this shit isn't necessarily ever going to be possible

might just be better to throw open the floodgates and just let crazy shit happen
KikiMofo Wrote:
SgtBriar Wrote:I don't know about that, Randy. The aforementioned BP foam pre-nerf not only went straight through the test chamber windows, it killed me and 2 other people who were standing behind r walls INSTANTLY: no crit, no nothing, just straight from green health to dead, and this was several tiles away from the explosion. Considering black powder is easy to make if you know telesci or can get into botany, and can be made in really large amounts, that is way over the top. Explosions need a buff from their current state, yes, but not back to silly levels
It's not that black powder is OP it's the players that are OP. They can make things very very strong in chemistry. There is no way to stop a mad chemist if they want to blow shit up. Not every random Joe is going to walk into chemistry and make a super death mix of black powder. It takes knowledge of how the game works to get it working like you say.

Dauntasa Wrote:it's been proven on many occasions in this game that players and especially chemists can be absolute terrorists with basically nothing so attempting to balance this shit isn't necessarily ever going to be possible

might just be better to throw open the floodgates and just let crazy shit happen

Maybe you guys are right. Crazy shit is fun, after all
Exploding abandoned crates do 0 damage now.