Mentor Application - SL the Pyro
Usual Character Name: Pyre O. Maniac / Baron Von Pyromaniac / *scream (borg)

BYOND Username: SL the Pyro

Recommended by (if applicable): N/A

Times Available: 7:00 PM to 5:00 AM EST

Reason for Application + Game Experience:

I’ve played Space Station 13 for a long time now, as far back as Donutstation. My game experience was pretty flaky back then, and like most players, I was intimidated by the sheer amount of everything there was. I remember bouncing around several jobs and failing utterly because I couldn’t be arsed to sit down and learn them. One of these was even Security, which ended about as well as you’d expect. My first round as a traitor was no better, since I had 1) decided to be unsubtle with an e-sword, 2) I picked a fight with three people at once, and 3) the Security that round wasn’t Shitcurity and was on me immediately.

Short version: I sucked in my early days.

Cut to the present, where I see that I’ve come so far from that barely-known player who got violently exploded every round. My main haunt is now the Research Sector as a Scientist with a wide plethora of the more unique chemical recipes in the game, I’m very well-versed in doctoring and borging, and I know how to do many of the important odds and ends for the station (like setting up the engine and the solars) so that people’s rounds aren’t ruined by lack of the right crewmembers. I’m still horrible at combat without a powerful edge (usually a flamethrower), but I like to think all the other skills I’ve gained in the game make up for it. It sure took some time, but all-in-all, I can be a very competent player when I want to be.

Which leads me to why I want to become a mentor. This wasn’t originally a mentor application, but rather a HoS application – which I royally fucked up, for anyone who cares to look at the Denied Applications section – and in hindsight what I wanted to do at the time wasn’t just find an excuse to get better a robusting, but to help other players. At first I got irritated whenever someone didn’t do a simple task quickly that I asked of them, but as time went on I began to realize that the Goon servers still get a lot of new players who need instruction. SS13 is a lot to take in, and having been one of those greenhorn players in the past I understand what they go through. It’s disheartening to see players struggling or outright quit because they don’t know the rules or are overwhelmed by the potential chaos of every round, and I want to try to prevent that from happening by helping to show them the ropes. Sharing their wealth of experience to the less-experienced is what a mentor is for, after all.

I know that this entire serious section may or may not actually reflect the nature of SS13, but my reasoning remains the same: I want to help players enjoy the game and help encourage them to not give up during the hard times.

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum):

As much as I’d like to crack a witty joke about this MOSTLY OUT OF FEAR THAT SOME CHUCKLEFUCK WILL TAKE THE LACK OF A JOKE THE WRONG WAY AND DISMISS MY APPLICATION FOR NO OTHER REASON… I just can’t. So I’ll be honest: I don’t hate Shrek, but I don’t necessarily like it either. This isn’t for reasons pertaining to Shrek itself however; I just have a powerful distaste for jokes that have been run into the ground a hundred times over. I’m indifferent to Shrek like I’m indifferent to many other memes: I’m okay with people doing weird things involving Shrek, just don’t force it down my throat.

…Now, with that out of the way, I’m not entirely humourless in the Shrek department, so have this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juHyNPbeTZk

Previous Bans:

None. I’ve been yelled at by admins for a few gimmicks that went out of control a couple of times, but nothing banworthy.
Sure, I remember him being helpful.
I never post in these because I have a shitty opinion but SLthePyro was (and still is) talking about an ongoing round in IRC literally right as I opened this thread, so well there it is
Jerkops Wrote:I never post in these because I have a shitty opinion but SLthePyro was (and still is) talking about an ongoing round in IRC literally right as I opened this thread, so well there it is
Yeah, I admit to slipping up in this case. I was pissed off at having died in the first two minutes of the round for what has to have been the fifth time this week, but was more surprised that literally everyone who spawned around me that round wad an antag. In hindsight I should've waited until the round was over before revealing that. I wasn't thinking at the time, sorry! Honest mistake!

In my defense, I never metagame on purpose, in fact I'm usually more careful not to do it. Most of the time I spend in the IRC chat (the metagame medium in the above case) is spent idle because I'm in-game and don't know who else is in-game. Basically I fucked up this time because of rage.

(yeah this is off to a horrible start isn't it frown)
Pyro... is knowledgeable, and he tinkers a lot, he has good knowledge in science... does he apply it in nondestructive ways? Not usually, but he's friendly and I think giving him the purple wouldn't hurt based on his knowledge and friendliness alone. I'd like to see him make meds rather than deadly chems from time to time, but that's just me. He makes explosions... so at least it does what it says on the tin.
I think Pyro deserves it, he's very knowledgeable and has made some nice contributions to the wiki (using your PDA notes to share secret recipes, for example) So, yeah, I think he deserves it.
Yeah, Pyro deserves this. He's helpful, knowledgeable, and if he gets mentor he can help people from beyond space and time in his travels through the biodome or wherever he's gone this time. Recommended.
Yeah, sure. I think I've gone along with him in some science-y shenanigans from time to time and he knows the ins and outs alright.

Don't let us down dude.
Pyro tends to stick to research roles, but aside from just science-y things he does know his stuff well.

A yes on this one.
I clung to Pyro for a while when I was new(er than I am now) because he was really helpful and wouldn't just say "Read the wiki" when I asked him questions, and he is incredibly kind and polite.
He is certainly knowledgeable, and he's definitely helpful, so I'd say yes.