Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pyrosium is dumb as heck
So you can make firebombs and pillbottle bombs? Gimmicks are all that pyrosium is good for, because there is no practical way to control the rate at which it heats.

What if the Water + Potassium reaction was changed to quickly convert fractions of potassium into heat, and only exploded past a certain temperature; or if a critical amount of water and potassium was mixed at once.
This way you could use the ratio of reagents to time your reactions properly, and make 5 seconds bombs that actually take 5 seconds.
Of course it's possible to control when a pyrosium mix hits a certain temperature. It's not like pyrosium heating is randomized; with sufficient math and experimentation, it should be possible to determine the rate at which pyrosium heats up, and once you figure that out, you have a reasonable amount of control over the length of the fuse.
The only thing I use pyrosium for is a mix of pyrosium and thermite I call "(almost) instant wallremover"

I never bother carrying a lighter or welder because it's just easier to make enough of both in one beaker.

Also I don't think you can spray on walls, otherwise spray bottles of (almost) instant wall remover would be a good traitor marketing gag.
To be perfectly fair, there are a lot of reactions that react by heat, and thus a lot of reactions that Pyrosium would be good for.

The real problem, and reason it doesn't see that much use, is that BYOND hates it; most heat-reactant chems are best used in foam and smoke, which would naturally seem like a top candidate for Pyrosium, but using Pyrosium in foam and smoke causes server-stopping amounts of lag due to all the heat interval checks on what it hits constantly happening all at once. If this could be fixed, Pyrosium would be amazing, but due simply to the nature of BYOND I'm not holding my breath for it.

If you want to be all smartass-y about it, you could say that BYOND can't handle the amount of awesome imparted by properly-applied Pyrosium.
A potential solution: Make Pyrosium (or an alternate chemical to Pyrosium) just check the timecycles and once enough have elapsed, jump everything in temperature by X amount. Basically condense the heat of Pyrosium into bigger increase chunks across longer periods of time.

Let me try an example: Let's say for an example with nice big round numbers that normal Pyrosium increases by 5 degrees every Life cycle (3sec). NuPyrosium will get mixed, and then, say, 21 seconds later, go up by 35 degrees. Repeat. The same effect for a fraction of the main lag-causing issue (mass area heat-raising checks)

If you want more customizability for chemists to make horrific substance interactions, make 2-3 grades of NuPyrosium (With small additives/variations on the original recipe) that go up hotter in the same time (So using my example, NuPyrosium+ goes up 70degrees every 21 seconds)
After a bit of tinkering, it looks like Pyrosium's temperature increases at roughly 5.715 degrees per three-second cycle. The heating rate remains the same regardless of how much or how little Pyrosium you have. Using that knowledge and a bit of arithmetic, I was able to set up a pyrosium mix that would go off in a predetermined amount of time (the catch being that the timer is started the instant you take it out of the reagent heater).
Paineframe Wrote:I was able to set up a pyrosium mix that would go off in a predetermined amount of time (the catch
being that the timer is started the instant you take it out of the reagent heater).

How did I even forget to mention that you're tied to the heater. It would be much more useful if it only started heating the moment it came into contact with another reagent; think self-heating cups.
Clarks Wrote:
Paineframe Wrote:I was able to set up a pyrosium mix that would go off in a predetermined amount of time (the catch
being that the timer is started the instant you take it out of the reagent heater).

How did I even forget to mention that you're tied to the heater. It would be much more useful if it only started heating the moment it came into contact with another reagent; think self-heating cups.
Just put two of the ingredients into the beaker, keep a third in a dropper, and add it to the beaker at the proper time. It's a little inconvenient, but if you're just looking to make a smoke bomb or something, timer/igniter assemblies are more convenient, more precise, and actually easier to get your hands on. For pyrosium, it's better to look at exotic uses that beaker assemblies can't do - like setting off reactions in someone's body.
Pyrosium is good for stealth smoke powder bombs where you want to be well away but don't want to waste time making conspicuous assemblies that don't fit in small containers. That and stabilized reagents that only react once heated. It's a niche chemical with good practical uses for its niche.
Clarks Wrote:

And to think that rinky-dink soup cups from a vending machine are more deluxe than what Chemistry can whip up. MMMM HMM...