Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let a department have ID access its own APC locks
Because I'm getting of tired of having to hack the APC locking mechanism in MY OWN DEPARTMENT to replace the power cell just because someone forgot to set up the engine.
I don't have much to say but this: Yes.
Please for the love of god yes.
I'd have to say no on this one. While it would be very convenient for everyone, I want engineers and mechanics to have something to do other than make griefmachines.
Unlocking APCs for people is one of the few things they can do for a department that is considered a good thing.
You can also just ask the AI or a borg to change the settings for you. And on that note, a rogue AI only has so much to mess around with, APCs being one of those few things.
It would just be a bit too convenient.
Kaet Wrote:I'd have to say no on this one. While it would be very convenient for everyone, I want engineers and mechanics to have something to do other than make griefmachines.
Unlocking APCs for people is one of the few things they can do for a department that is considered a good thing.
You can also just ask the AI or a borg to change the settings for you. And on that note, a rogue AI only has so much to mess around with, APCs being one of those few things.
It would just be a bit too convenient.
Maybe only the head of that general department can unlock their own APCs (save for engineering, duh)
I think I've fixed more apcs as a doctor then as an mechanic or engineer.

That was mostly because I wanted to restore power to medbay. (and some jerk kept bombing medbay with syndiecools)

It's not hard to fix an APC, but if you're not an engineer then hacking is pretty much your only option.

Hacking an APC is much easier then hacking a door though.
I would say that for IMMERSHUNZ sake, a doctor probably doesn't have a huge amount of access to the breakers in his office and what not. That said, it's annoying as fuck to deal with because real doctors don't have to worry about the fact that, if they need somebody to fix their breaker, it's -because those people aren't around/doing their jobs-.
SL the Pyro Wrote:Because I'm getting of tired of having to hack the APC locking mechanism in MY OWN DEPARTMENT to replace the power cell just because someone forgot to set up the engine.
Can't you just yell at the AI to disable the cover lock for you? As with so many other things on the station, APC locks are something that the AI can help you with if the people who are supposed to be doing that job aren't doing it. For that matter, why not just yell at the AI to set up the solars in the first place? It's not unusual for the AI to not give enough of a shit to do it unless asked to do so - the AI's bound to follow your orders but they're not obligated to be proactive about it! The only time it's ever really necessary to hack your APC is if you need to cut the AI control wire to stop a rogue silicon from cutting your power.
I personally think if being able to replace APC batteries in someone's own department, perhaps there should just be a tool seperate from IDs that anyone can use but that only the Heads of those departments actually carry. Like a masterkey for APCs but used only for specific departments. That or just give the department heads APC access.
Something along the lines of the Standard borg's APC charging cables would be nice, so you could screwdriver + recharge an APC's battery with it. Maybe using cable coils on a screwdrivered APC creates a cell kit you can insert a cell into to act as an alternate power source?

That way you'd actually have a use for all those cell chargers.