Toybasher's Head Of Security Application
Usual Character Name: James Misayuki
BYOND Username: Toybasher
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Times Available: All day erryday. But seriously from 8 am to 10 PM every day. Obviously I won't be on that whole time, but you can expect to see me here throughout the day.

Reason for Application (300 word minimum): I've been a big fan of GoonStation's zaniness. I've been playing here for quite a while. I would like to help out more, and try on the beret. Often when playing there has been more times than I could count where I thought to myself, "Dang, I really wish we had a Head Of Security." whether it involved approving a fine, opening up the armory due to a traitor going on a rampage, or simply having an authority figure for security to look up to and be lead by throughout the round.

I've noticed security literally executing traitors and experienced it personally. I've been shot to death by detectives then spaced simply because I was spotted less than 5 minutes into the round in maint. putting away a police baton with thermals. If I were head of security, you'd notice a lot less traitors being immediately shut down and executed. I personally know how unfun it is to just be shut down like that so early on in the round, so why should I do it to them? Players would see more traitors in the brig rather then in the gibber. I would give traitors minor sentences and confiscate really deadly stuff. I would try my best to reduce the image of security as a relentless army of traitor hunting murderer's and cut back on executions without captain permission beforehand.

When it does come to an execution, I would at least make it public with an electric chair so bystanders can watch and partake in the event, rather then pulverize them in a corner with a stun baton or something. Again, this is only if the Captain gives me explicit permission to do so. This obviously changes if they start attacking everything in sight or starts shooting at me. If Mr. McTraitor starts shooting at me with a spacker 12 the whole non lethal thing will go out the window. I'll try to get him cloned afterwards so he can face a public execution if the Captain wants.

I personally think I would be a good head of security as I would be focused on making the round as fun as possible for everyone involved, rather then hunting down the traitors and killing then gibbing them as quickly as humanly possible.

Security Experience (300 word minimum): I have played several rounds as security officer and detective, as well as antagonists running away from and trying to outsmart them. I have always tried to capture traitors non lethally and give them their prison sentence + deadly item confiscation if it's really deadly. I'm trying to make rounds as fun for everyone as possible, and use minimum force as necessary. Assistant breaking windows? Push 'em over, fart in their face, and write 'em a ticket. They keep doing it? Fine them if you have a Head of Security or Captain. Maybe consider a light jail sentence. They act like a idiot? (Murdering random people, don't seem like a traitor?) Wait till round end. If they're not a traitor, adminhelp it.

I also have noticed a lot of the security arsenal is a bit unused. When have you seen officers use anything but their stun batons? Riot Launcher Smoke Shells are fun to use but they cause a lot of collateral damage to anyone nearby. The flash is a bit useless when you got the stun baton. The taser, while useful doesn't even knock people out unless you can land 2 hits on them in quick succession. I understand this is for balancing reasons but it basically makes the stun-stick my go-to choice when dealing with traitors.

I also try to help out as much as possible. I will drag any corpses I find directly to medbay to be cloned as soon as possible after discovery. If people are stuck somewhere and need a door opened and the AI is busy with something else and I'm in the area, I'll go over and open it for them. I'll bring a medkit along with me incase I find someone horribly wounded, so I can help them. In general I play very laid back, but will spring into action when it's needed.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc): I think the layout is pretty good. My only real issue is security is pretty much trivial to shut down with a bomb in the entrance or something. The doors are a bit finicky too, meaning people can hide behind a nearby shrub, wait for you to leave, and bolt through the open doors and steal a grenade launcher or something.

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum): Amazing movie, I recommend watching.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): I got a 2 hour ban recently, was requested by me due to finals and sleep deprivation.
You seem cool, but i have never seen you outside of ooc and mentorhelp, So let's move to some points i think dictate this application.

Quote: Maybe consider a light jail sentence.

This may not seem excessive but for something small like interior window breaking, just take them into the interrogation room and give them a talking to, it works a much better and keeps cries of "SHITCURITY GRIFF HELP" off the radio.

Quote:I also try to help out as much as possible.

This, this entire section turns my opinion around. This is something every officer should do.

I like your style, you sound like a good guy, just try to be a bit more noticeable. It's a yes from me.
You have a tendancy to constantly mentorhelp literally everything you don't know which results in one help per 3ish minutes, and I have really never seen you as a cop.
Might seem harsh but you wanting to start mentoring people when you know seemingly nothing is not great.

No, definitely not HoS and maybe-probably mentor if you start actually learning things for yourself.
Weavel Wrote:wordjo

I forgot about this, i need to stop writing when im tired, from what i remember that statement is true and from what i've heard from another mentor you have asked in the past for us to do admin things. I rescind my yes as the points for now outweigh the points for yes. No.
From what I've seen in-game so far:
You're ridiculously like the average OMG KILL TRAITOR ON SIGHT officer, I don't endorse this HoS behaviour at all. It's a very, very definite No from me.
Marquesas Wrote:From what I've seen in-game so far:
You're ridiculously like the average OMG KILL TRAITOR ON SIGHT officer, I don't endorse this HoS behaviour at all. It's a very, very definite No from me.

If it's the round I think it is that person I had killed was a wizard who was flinging fireballs and magic missiles at people, including me. If that person was a traitor or something and I apprehended them I would have done something different then a stun baton to the face coupled with a wailing on assisted by 2 other people.
As far as I've seen you, you're not competent enough yet for the position. I am not calling incompetent, but your knowledgebase needs expanding. Usually when i see you as a head I fail to take you seriously, not because you're a bad dude and don't help, but because you're more of a follower than a leader right now. I think you need a firmer grasp on a few things and a bit more confidence. The way you play sec and the way you play everything else may be widely different (as it should be) but I've just never really seen you as anything other than white noise. A person who can do a job, but not as well as several people under him. Learn more and come back.
I'll have to say no to this one. You're not a terrible guy, but you seem to lack the experience it needs for someone to handle the beret, along with the attitude to go along with it.
So, you're an alright dude, I know that, but you don't know your stuff.

I'll gladly endorse mentorship (if you learn your shit bro, mentors need to respond to helps, not make them.)

However, HoS is more of a community role. You need to be active, and not shitty, in OOC AND Security. Get out there.

Lastly, executing people in security is shit behavior, no matter the justification. Self defense? Sure, bit buckling someone to a chair and beating them to death? No no no
Toybasher Wrote:
Marquesas Wrote:From what I've seen in-game so far:

If it's the round I think it is that person I had killed was a wizard who was flinging fireballs and magic missiles at people, including me. If that person was a traitor or something and I apprehended them I would have done something different then a stun baton to the face coupled with a wailing on assisted by 2 other people.

That wasn't the only case, that was the round that sparked my comment though. It was the other wizard flinging fireballs, though.