Spaceman Spiff for Mentor 2: Electric Boogaloo
Usual Character Name: Spaceman Spiff, if I’m playing a non-gimmick Borg/AI it’s just SPIFF.exe
BYOND Username: Terminal Entropy
Recommended by (if applicable): Supernorn told me to reapply, plus a few other players
Times Available: 7 pm – 11 pm Mountain Standard Time

Reason for Application + Game Experience (300 word minimum):

Some of the most fun I’ve had in this game has been from learning new things, either through experimentation or with another player. When it comes down to it, I think that a big part of the game is discovering new things and seeing how many things you can do with a seemingly simple system. Lately, I’ve enjoyed answering questions and helping out the influx of new players on LLJK #2, which I play on pretty much exclusively, and usually only has 1 or 2 mentors in rounds with 40+ people.

When I started back in September, there weren’t a lot of mentors around on LLJK #2, and this coupled with the game’s high learning curve, made my first few weeks pretty rough. I like to think I’m not quite the noob I used to be, but I would like to help other people climb up the learning curve a little quicker. I know most every job, with the exceptions of Genetics and Engineering, and have had a great time teaching the roles to newer players and learning new things myself. Medical Doctor and Barman are my two main jobs, and where most of my effort is focused. As an MD, I enjoy teaching new doctors the ropes to surgery and meds, as well as maintaining an explosion-free medbay (ha!) and trying to help as many people as I can. I seem to be one of the few people who consistently use the cryo tubes, and it is really rewarding to see a proper medbay up and running 45 minutes into the round. I usually play Barman for the fun, laid back gimmicks (Ice Cream Socials never get old) and building my chemistry recipe lists. Similarly, Scientist, Botanist, Chef, and Miner are fun, secret-filled jobs which can be very daunting at first for new players. I can almost always be found helping out other people in these jobs: hinting at recipes, suggesting ideas, or even just helping people learn the controls and basics. When I roll Antag, I just come up with silly gimmicks and such. I hate rampaging and enjoy seeing traitors kill me with new and exciting blunt objects or flesh-dissolving chems.

At the end of the day, SS13 is an incredibly fun game pretty much only limited by your imagination. It can be an extremely difficult game to get into, and I would like to make those first few games easier for newer people. At the same time, I’ve been around long enough to know chemistry, medbay, botany, and most other jobs like the back of my hand, so I know I can help far more experienced players who are trying something new. In particular, I think that chemistry, exploring, and food/drink science should be more accessible to newer players, and I feel that as a mentor I can make that happen. Half the fun in this game is discovering all the crazy things in it, and I want to make sure other people get a chance to see those things.

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum):
Shrek one was cool, Shrek 2 was awesome. I’ve always thought that the blend of modern pop culture and medieval/fantasy setting was original and funny.
Also: [Image: 9kesGlX.jpg]
Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): None.
It astounds me that nobody has replied to this.
Everything I've seen of you in-game has been good, and you've definitely been around long enough that you should know your stuff.

I'm definitely in favour of you getting a purple.
Oh, didn't notice this. You are a cool dude who is really fun to be around and you know the game, my vote is a resounding yes.
Yes absolutely, you're a top notch dude
A great application from a great nerd, there's no reason he wouldn't be a good mentor.
I always thought Spiff was a mentor already, he knows his shit and is an all around good dude, yes from me.
If knowledge is all that is required, and the willingness to impart it... then yeah this is appropriate.
I remember Spaceman Spiff all the way back when I first joined, and I remember learning a thing or two about medical from him. Definitely a yes!
You've been around almost as long as me (or longer, I'm bad with time), and I don't remember anything hideously bad about you; in fact I think you're probably one of the funnier players, so that's a good thing. At this point you might as well be defaulted into the position.
Hell yeah, this nerd was always a mentor.