Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Galactic Catalog
The Galactic Catalog
A solution to excessive income

What?
Money. Technically, the major motivator for 2D spacemen to be doing work in space. Back in the day, before we had discount dans and pro puffs to buy out, people wanted ways to make money WORTH working for. But we needed something, somewhere to spend our hard(?) earned space dollars. This proposes a place for small miscellaneous items for players to purchase. It would give people a bit more to buy with their money, a bit more to do to spruce up the station or cause mischief with, and overall just give people more. I'm not saying that the coders should go on an item making spree. Most likely such a system would start incredibly small, and just increase as coders get ideas for things to make, and just dump it in with a price tag attached.

Feel free to post ideas on how to implement this, by the way.

Ordering Items
One thing that went on was how to order. The most popular suggestion was ordering via your PDA, interfacing with your account or whatever. Actual delivery, however, was somewhat split. Some people suggested that it just spawns under you, like buying things from a traitor PDA. Other people suggested a specific delivery point, inside or just outside of QM. Having it delivered to/near QM opens up options like theft, security double checking everyone's packages, ect. However, it's not very fun to spend your space money on something only to have an assistant snag it before you leave your office. In that case, packages should be some form of ID locked. As a bonus, it makes it near useless for someone to just steal your PDA for free stuff. At that point, you have to steal two items instead of one possibly discarded one. Another thing that having a delivery point would allow would be for security alerts, for items that have a bit more potential for shenanigans.

Possible Products
A catalog is good, but only if you have dumb things to buy. Like:
  • Fun uniforms and Costumes - An obvious product category
  • Lil' Hydroponicist kit - Grow small decorative flowers
  • Action figures - Assistant Mcgrubby smashes the toy assistant and the toy syndicate operative together
  • Coloring kit - Fun colored pens for making fun colored words on otherwise boring official documents.
  • Fun Fryer kit - Set it up, and this fun fryer will lightly fry any small food item you toss in. Its safety features mean that hands and sleeves are safe from harm!
  • Sweet Ass-boombox - It's a boombox shaped like a butt!
  • Toy baton - Assistant Mcgrubb shouts "ZAP" as he taps you with the Toy baton.

Another idea was department specific catalogs, like little quality of life/cosmetic/ironic items for different departments. Like oddly shaped beakers, or little crop row signs for botany.

These items are just suggestions! Don't assume I'm saying any of this would HAVE to be part of it!

Also, please discuss
Yeah, I love the idea of a catalog of goofy items to order. Sky Mall in space.

Should mostly be filled with deluxe versions of items already on the station that are functionally the same, just with a spiffy new sprite (a jewel encrusted mop bucket) or items with marginally useful functions (a swiss army knife that acts as a fork, spoon, or knife. Maybe a screwdriver and wirecutters as well.)

PDA ordering would be fine, though a console by a public package receiving area near QM would be great.
As long as all those harmless items have a unique suicide action for each of them I will be happy. I want to see what happens when you try to kill yourself with action figures or the minifryer.
Maybe some extra PDA games could be ordered?
Possibly instead of spawning near QM they could have an option to be sent through the cargo system (The conveyors and mass drivers) to a destination of your choosing.
I have suggested this before, but this game still needs kart-sized cars. I am talking about Cobras, Hot Rods, and maybe even a clown car APC(for sec only).
Could I buy a fake Chinese sword and end up cutting my own arm off because it's fake, cheap shit?

If so then yes.
Yes please. I also second the idea of 'deluxe' editions of standard tools. Got to bling out that toolbelt.
One of the items should be a paintball gun that has to be loaded with paint cans. pour can into gun, shoot paint balls at the crew. Watch scientists complain that their fancy expedition costume has now been ruined by unwashable purple stains. The crew could maybe have paintball wars where a few share a crate and each pick a color.

I think the catalog could be perfect for fun items which people would immediately waste money on.
epicdwarf Wrote:I have suggested this before, but this game still needs kart-sized cars. I am talking about Cobras, Hot Rods, and maybe even a clown car APC(for sec only).

A police paddy wagon of some sort would be neat. Something you can stick a people into to haul them to Sec. Like, maybe if you have cuffs on when you're put inside you can't get out. You can still struggle to get the cuffs off though while inside.
Frank_Stein Wrote:A police paddy wagon of some sort would be neat. Something you can stick a people into to haul them to Sec. Like, maybe if you have cuffs on when you're put inside you can't get out. You can still struggle to get the cuffs off though while inside.

Isn't that what the port-a-brig is for?
Noah Buttes Wrote:
Frank_Stein Wrote:A police paddy wagon of some sort would be neat. Something you can stick a people into to haul them to Sec. Like, maybe if you have cuffs on when you're put inside you can't get out. You can still struggle to get the cuffs off though while inside.

Isn't that what the port-a-brig is for?

But you can't drive a port-a-brig. But yeah, it goes along with the whole functionally similar items for the catalog.
KikiMofo Wrote:As long as all those harmless items have a unique suicide action for each of them I will be happy. I want to see what happens when you try to kill yourself with action figures or the minifryer.
Assistant Mcpubby swallows the toy assistant whole!
Engineer Mcgoon fruitlessly tries to burn himself with the funfrier. He beats himself over the head with it in frustration!
A toy AI that states random laws, and can secretly be used like a module to upload random laws to the real AI
Collectable crew action figures would be hella rad. Make it so you get a little capsule that gives you a random one.
Maybe there's a secret reward to collecting them all?

Also, you should be able to melt them down into plastic plus unique regents. You know, changeling is plastic+nerotoxin, wizard is plastic+LSD, etc.