Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rolling Objectives
Give traitors objectives as they progress throughout the round;or maybe even an objective as they complete their objectives. So let's say I start out with two objectives, steal boots and kill So And So. After I do both, I'd get a message saying "The Syndicate are impressed with your progress and have allotted you three more telecrystals to continue with your progress. Here are your new objectives-"
I think it could be cool. It's probably a shit idea however
Hrm. Something like this could be interesting if the first objectives were more simple and harmless, and you had only a few crystals to start with. Could help with the pacing between rounds with traitors slowly being able to build up to be more destructive.
If this was added, I'd hope it would start traitors off with small jobs such as stealing an item and then later ramp up to kill a person. It would probably make rounds last a bit longer and go smoother, as it wouldn't just be traitors spawning a shotgun or pipebomb and going to town on their target 2 minutes into the round.

Although there are "those" people who just prefer to slaughter every living thing on board just because...this sadly wouldn't affect them.
Frank_Stein Wrote:Hrm. Something like this could be interesting if the first objectives were more simple and harmless, and you had only a few crystals to start with. Could help with the pacing between rounds with traitors slowly being able to build up to be more destructive.
I like this
Rolling objectives could also let traitors be increasingly grandiose, Do some tiny objectives with little to no traitor items and save up your telecrystals so when you're awarded more you can do a near round end rampage with 14-20 telecrystals and pure chaos. It also gives security a reason to respond to break ins because if a traitor is breaking into engineering and security to steal things now, they'll probably be rampaging later and it's in security's best interest to slow them down.
This would easily prevent idiotic rampages that start early, along with making figuring out traitors more important, BUT, this would come with a downside, supercops would run amok dealing beatdowns and permabrigs due to little things. It's a hard decision, but i have to say no to this one.
thehman03 Wrote:This would come with a downside, supercops would run amok dealing beatdowns and permabrigs due to little things.

I kinda disagree with this. I agree that sec will start to become more cautious of the crimes committed around the station, they likely won't go made with power and start abusing players. Should that start to happen we will need to remind players that these offences are considered greifing.

Just a quote from the wiki page:

"Officers who abuse their power and grief or do any of the other bad things listed here will be met with zero tolerance. Not knowing the rules is no excuse. DO NOT BE SHIT!"

For the most part, if there are any supercops around if this is implemented then they likely were around beforehand as well.
Yeah, I think that would be more the fault of bad security, and would be close to metagaming on their part.

If something like this is ever worked in, there should be some variety in how it works.
Some traitors should start with maybe 3, possibly even no telecrystals with objectives like "break into the bar" or "fart on 5 crewmen" Things that make them indistinguishable from miscreants.

Other traitors could start of with even more crystals with more destructive goals.

Or maybe at any given time the traitor is given three goals, with different crystal rewards based on how likely they are to get caught/how destructive they are, that get replaced as they are completed. They can choose lots of little easy victories or a few big ones, or a combination. Sec then has to prioritize targets based on how destructive they are being.

Also, since crystals would accumulate, maybe we could work in some new items at greater expenses?
People like to do whatever when they are traitors, maybe making them earn their telecrystals with chores would rankle some players. Personally speaking I love this because I love trying to do my objectives at any cost. On that note I am mildly unhappy about the new untracked objectives because I don't get to show my sneaky skills off at the end of the round, and also last time I had them assassinations still didn't track right. I support traitors getting to do whatever it is they enjoy. Maybe have checkboxes in character creation?
blowing up parts of the station should be traitor objective instead of just a way to kill lots of people.
A check box would be nice, or even just a little window that pops up when you're a traitor and asks you which mode you want:

Freestyle - where you get 10 crystals and a license to make your own fun, or...

Structured - start off with less crystals, but earn more as you complete objectives from a rotating list. The list would have to accommodate different playstyles, but I can see it working if they're open ended enough. A bomb objective could be like, "Destroy 50 tiles" something that they could do easily with a bomb or even just being a crazy butt with a set of tools.

Maybe, the list of objectives rotates regularly, like every 10 minutes, but they can lock in ones they like.
Frank_Stein Wrote:A check box would be nice, or even just a little window that pops up when you're a traitor and asks you which mode you want:

Freestyle - where you get 10 crystals and a license to make your own fun, or...

Structured - start off with less crystals, but earn more as you complete objectives from a rotating list. The list would have to accommodate different playstyles, but I can see it working if they're open ended enough. A bomb objective could be like, "Destroy 50 tiles" something that they could do easily with a bomb or even just being a crazy butt with a set of tools.

Maybe, the list of objectives rotates regularly, like every 10 minutes, but they can lock in ones they like.
This seems to be a great middle ground between our current system and the one suggested.
Objectives in general get boring after you've seen "Kill 3 Random People" and "Hoard all the Footballs" 50+ times. At least rolling objectives might keep interesting. Still, I think the interest would wear off after a few round of it. Really the issue is that there's not enough objectives at all. Or actually, the issue is that objectives are boring and not worth following. Making your own fun and having your own gimmick is far more entertaining.
I really like this idea. Have the beginning ones be trivial to complete (Break 5 lights, etc.) and slowly ramp up. Have them be very specific, too. (Trick one person into farting on the bible. Beat an officer to death with a stun baton. Make 4 people slip. Fart on the Captain's hat. Explode 2 pods. etc.)

Maybe if objectives are not completed in a timely manner, new objectives are selected instead? Then if you get one that's downright impossible like Activate the Nuke you can wait 10 minutes or so and get reassigned a different one, equally as difficult.
I think I suggested this exact thing a few months ago, and I love this idea.
Add some progression to traitor rounds.
Also fix spy this way too, give the spy a set team of two others, give them NO crystals until they start doing their side objectives.