Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medical Director Suggestions
Hi Guys,

Having spent my first couple of months moving through Genetics, Medical and Robotics I eventually started putting myself down for Medical Director and having been playing the role in 80%+ of games the last few weeks (Tristaynia North). Based on this experience I have the following suggestions/feedback...

1) There are quite a few occasions even in a busy game where the medical department can be badly undermanned. Even in a 30+ game I've sometimes been the only one there. This mostly works out fine as we are basically a medic to begin with and can easily cover robotics so neither of those roles joining is fine, but what we can't do is assist with Genetics Research very well as we don't have the option to scan people. Oddly from what I discovered during one test game the Research Director does. My suggestion is simple: add Genetics scans to the MD PDA to facilitate the director filling in when necessary and/or scanning people on the front-line when they show up for medical attention.

2) Is there a way to disable Old Harner from recognizing the tranquilizer rifle as a problem? One late joining round playing as detective he didn't seem bothered about my pistol so I assume there was 'legitimate' weapons assigned to each role? If so, I'm tried of trying to stun and trap a traitor/crazy person wrecking my medbay and having Harner run up and flash me.

3) I am a bit confused as to the interaction between the MD and RD roles. The RD has a huge department to oversee; Chemistry, Telescience, Toxins and Artifacts... they seem to have a lot going on as it is yet they also have full access to medical (which also makes them insanely dangerous traitors). Personally I feel the two departments should be separate with the RD and MD in charge of each.

4) If Suggestion 3 isn't popular: Well, if wider access is the preferred option, then it would be really, really good to get Chemistry access (even just on the back door) for the MD to allow at least one person from medical to be able to procure better medicines when the Scientists are inevitably too busy Sarin gassing themselves. Chemistry anyway strikes me as a mix between Medical and Science anyway with most of the legitimate applications being aimed towards Medicine.

5) Add a method to manufacture the larger reserve beakers.
Tristavius Wrote:1) There are quite a few occasions even in a busy game where the medical department can be badly undermanned. Even in a 30+ game I've sometimes been the only one there. This mostly works out fine as we are basically a medic to begin with and can easily cover robotics so neither of those roles joining is fine, but what we can't do is assist with Genetics Research very well as we don't have the option to scan people. Oddly from what I discovered during one test game the Research Director does. My suggestion is simple: add Genetics scans to the MD PDA to facilitate the director filling in when necessary and/or scanning people on the front-line when they show up for medical attention.
The MD starts with a SciMaster PDA cartridge in their office. That is the RD's cart and it has a genetics scanner on it. Just pop the Med-U cart out and stick in the SciMaster and you're good to go!
These are all reasonable and desirable improvements.
Haine Wrote:The MD starts with a SciMaster PDA cartridge in their office. That is the RD's cart and it has a genetics scanner on it. Just pop the Med-U cart out and stick in the SciMaster and you're good to go!

How did I never notice that! Thank you sir - one issue down (though with nearly 50 actions to make medbay and myself ready, any one you can take away by making it default is useful!)
Tristavius Wrote:How did I never notice that! Thank you sir - one issue down (though with nearly 50 actions to make medbay and myself ready, any one you can take away by making it default is useful!)
It took a lot of whining to even get that cart in the MD's office - from what I recall, Wonk didn't wanna step on anyone's toes by making the MD spawn with it in their PDA. (Thanks again to Wonk for even listening to that whining and putting it in)

Whining will one day also get the MD a pet bat
ps give the MD a pet bat
pps I will never stop whining about the bat
ppps seriously where is my goddamn bat
i'm cool with #3, RD should be strictly mad science while horrific human medical experimentation remains the sole realm of the MD
Some of the medical roles (used to be roboticist, and mostly genetics) fall under research roles.

Genetics can clone people but to keep the job interesting you can also discover super powers, and they get their money from the research budget.

RD could probably manage both robotics and genetics but in practice they never actually do.

MD is there to cover the medical department because the RD never actually does, and without at least one person with access to robotics and genetics, people would just break in and the round would be boring.

In universe I like to think that Genetics and Robotics are jointly owned by research and medbay, but RD has too many people to oversee so the medical department is given it's own head with bridge access.
atomic1fire Wrote:In universe I like to think that Genetics and Robotics are jointly owned by research and medbay, but RD has too many people to oversee so the medical department is given it's own head with bridge access.
Well, according to cameras and such, Genetics' official name seems to be "Medical Research". But I'm in favor of anything that gets Medical Director played more, if only because there's some useful shit in his office and it's usually too late to beg the AI to open it by the time you actually need something from there.
I want the ability to sew people together as a traitor MD.
Haine Wrote:Whining will one day also get the MD a pet bat
ps give the MD a pet bat
pps I will never stop whining about the bat
ppps seriously where is my goddamn bat

Is his name Dr. Acula? Yes please.
VictorMAngoStein Wrote:I want the ability to sew people together as a traitor MD.

That would be useful... in the mean time I'll stick to cutting injured people apart in the disused biolab, leaving the naked, limbless torsos locked in the ward there and sending boxes of their limbs through belt hell to security. If security are closing in collecting a box of brains can be a bit safer.
The MD's pet needs to be a domesticated Rock Worm with a little drumset.
also yeah I'd like to see the RD's medbay access gone

definitely not mainly because I want to annoy people that play RD, that would be petty
damned jerks with their huge nice office and their bee
WHERE IS MY BAT
Don't take access away from the RD, but give the MD chemistry access.

You don't play a head to boss over your department, you play a head to make it easier to coordinate with departments that your underlings don't have access to.
I guess chemistry access for MD is kinda fair, but I think medbay could use some updates in return so that MD isn't just letting doctors into chemistry.

Whenever a update happens that gives someone something cool it tends to be all anyone ever thinks about for the next few weeks or so. A nice gameplay addition to medbay would give people reason to not just bug the MD for chemistry access because doctor is boring.

Also if I were an MD I would let a electrician into chemistry to scan a chemistry machine and put one in my office. Make drugs erry day. Maybe make some lesser known drugs like potasium iodide for the crew as well. Trade a chemistry machine to the mechanics in exchange for a personal medbay drug machine.

Also that makes MD more valuable as a traitor and a murder victim because now his ID has acccess to genetics and chemistry, make bomb juice, bomb genetics, bomb chemistry, bomb robotics, get shuttle called ninja quick.

Also I just had a pretty good idea. if you can't already do this let us restock medbay vendors with drugs and drugs that aren't already there. If someone wants to offer three bottles of Go Juice (really meth and coffee) in the medbay vendor why not let them. It would give the MD something fun to do. Also since medical cyborgs already are walking super drug bots if they are competent, getting the MD or an doctor to restock vending machines with cool super drug kits would be a good way to save time in the long run.