Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverse the cloaker nerf
Weavel Wrote:cloaks are perfectly fine right now and we do not need to return to the days where every round was cloaked laser tag

If by just fine you mean totally useless except for a few extremely rampage-y purposes, then yes.

As it is, the lack of interaction makes it incredibly hard to use to break into ANYWHERE. Stole some nerd's ID? Gotta swipe it in the door. Emag? Same deal. Thermite? Yes.

But apparently, you can use the bowling suit and the boomerang just fine with a cloaker. Before, you couldn't afford two at once, but now, you have an invisible man with a long range stun weapon.

Sounds fine.
I think that optical meson scanners revealing them is an interesting idea and could work.
Conor12 Wrote:I think that optical meson scanners revealing them is an interesting idea and could work.
If it didn't give away their identity and wasent 100% accurate all of the time I would be ok with this.
Noah Buttes Wrote:
Weavel Wrote:cloaks are perfectly fine right now and we do not need to return to the days where every round was cloaked laser tag
As it is, the lack of interaction makes it incredibly hard to use to break into ANYWHERE. Stole some nerd's ID? Gotta swipe it in the door. Emag? Same deal. Thermite? Yes.

Sounds fine.

wait outside the door invisible and shadow the person in
I haven't seen the new cloaker but judging from the changelog, it turns off when you interact with things now? Does it flicker for a few seconds, or do you manually have to turn it back on?

As an additional cloaker change that I have probably suggested before, I would be interested to see if setting a mob's alpha to 0 using the byond500 graphics effects would be a good way to make cloakers clickable but still invisible. (So you can actually hit them if you know where they are!)
how bouts i reverse your face
I got a chance to test it and here are all the obvious things that do / do not disrupt the cloak at the moment. When the cloak is disrupted, it switches off and I think there's a visible message in the chat for people in line of sight.

Disrupts:
Picking up an object on a different tile
Clicking a door off your tile
Clicking the floor off your tile
Basically plainly left-clicking anything off of your tile - attacking a person, interacting with an item, anything

Does not disrupt:
Picking up an object on the same tile
Dropping an object
Walking into a door
Ctrl-click or right-click pulling an object or person off your tile
Throwing (via button or shift-click) an object off your tile
Stripping someone or placing something on them
Using right-click -> move inside on a locker
Oops I meant to clarify and there's no edit button: the disrupted cloak switches off entirely and has to be reactivated manually.
MyBlueCorners Wrote:I haven't seen the new cloaker but judging from the changelog, it turns off when you interact with things now? Does it flicker for a few seconds, or do you manually have to turn it back on?

As an additional cloaker change that I have probably suggested before, I would be interested to see if setting a mob's alpha to 0 using the byond500 graphics effects would be a good way to make cloakers clickable but still invisible. (So you can actually hit them if you know where they are!)

That would be a great change, I think. Might be tricking allowing thermals to still see them though?
Noah Buttes Wrote:

If by just fine you mean totally useless except for a few extremely rampage-y purposes, then yes.

But apparently, you can use the bowling suit and the boomerang just fine with a cloaker. Before, you couldn't afford two at once, but now, you have an invisible man with a long range stun weapon.

Sounds fine.
Opening doors, emagging things, and using thermite to literally melt a wall were all things that gave you away under the old cloak. The only difference is that under the old cloak, it didn't really matter if you gave yourself away since the witnesses couldn't actually do anything about it except run away and scream for the detective over the radio. New cloak is maybe a little too nerfed, but I'd rather learn to like it than go back to the pre-nerf days of cloaked traitors doing anything and everything in plain sight with near-total impunity because as long as no one finds the detective's corpse, the cloaked doesn't care if everyone knows exactly where he is and what he's doing.
The cloak works well now, but people are trying to use it the same way as they did before the nerf.

Some of the main uses of the cloak:

Getting chased by a huge mob out for your blood? activate cloak and hide in a corner while they run past.

Need the drop on a heavily armed dude? activate the cloak and get the first shot in.

Keep in mind folks that the first shot is all you need to win the fight.
MyBlueCorners Wrote:I haven't seen the new cloaker but judging from the changelog, it turns off when you interact with things now? Does it flicker for a few seconds, or do you manually have to turn it back on?

that is a fantastic idea. yes yes yes
The cloaker is better this way. One thing that would be nice though, if instead of deactivating when interacting with things off tile, it instead just did a flicker effect for a few seconds. Enough to make it so someone couldn't kill with impunity, but not requiring the cloaked person to have to pull it out of their pocket each time to turn it back on.
At this point its extremely rare for somebody to even order a cloak, its completely useless right now.
BillyMays Wrote:At this point its extremely rare for somebody to even order a cloak, its completely useless right now.
Good. That means people can do something else than be invisible for the whole round.