Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydroponics Tweaks and Adjustments
Hydroponics is a surprisingly deep field that, unfortunately, is not usually exploited; a few people know unique splices and the good mutations, but aside from that, I never seen botany make any real headway or have any huge impact on the station (traitor or otherwise). Heck, one of the job specific traitor items for Botanist is just a blunt-force weapon, more or less that precisely discourages them from doing their job (growing stuff...and yes, I realize there's maneaters).

In any event, I had a couple of suggestion for Botany:

-Allow multiple secondary reagents to be spliced-

Currently, when you splice two plants together, the hybrid will have the primary reagents of both plants; the problem, though is when a plant has multiple reagents (for example splicing fuzzy nureous together with Dawning Venne); only the primary reagent of the parent plant will splice in. Eliminating this restriction and allowing secondary and tertiary reagents to be spliced would allow for more creative and useful combinations when hybridizing plants.

-Seething Tomato-

These only explode when thrown; when eaten they don't really do anything; would be pretty awesome if these contained black powder as their unique reagent (I realize that botany already has tons of salt petre, but again, this would allow for creative combinations and give seething tomatoes a more sinister edible purpose).

-Building Endurance-

Currently, you can alter every single plant's individual stats quite reliable with potash, saltpetre, and ammonia. The problem is, however, is there's no way to reliable alter endurance; you have to just plain get lucky with mutagen or random pure luck (in combination with selective breeding) for this number to go up. You can boost the endurance of slurry pods, but the problem is, these don't play nice, at all, with splicing and other plants. Why is impacting endurance so important? A number of mutations are dependent on endurance, particularly lifeweed; lifeweed is almost never seen, ever, because it's incredibly hard to get the endurance stat to heighten to the appropriate level. Perhaps compost could raise endurance as well as plant health?

-Useful Unique Reagents-

Botany has a couple of truly unique reagents; aminitin, glowing slurry, and toxic slurry (and if you insist, THC and catonium...), but not enough, in my opinion. Most of the reagents botany can create are just as easily obtainable elsewhere; adding in a few more unique reagents could potentially draw more people to play the job and encourage experimentation. For example, perhaps there could be an incredibly difficult way to grow hemlock, which contains coniine, or other plants that contain reagents that cannot be synthesized normally, such as insulin or morphine.
Botany is potentially an entire chemistry set but no one ever uses it that way.

Yes to changes.
Yes please.
All i think hydroponics needs is a bunch of new plants with chemicals that chemisty can never hope to make or get..i have a bunch of idea in this old thread i while back if you want to take a look

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2429
Yeah I really would like if hydroponics gets updated. It's the only job that I haven't fully explored except for maybe the more :spergin: parts of mechanics.
Just having more plant mutations, for now, would be an awesome start.
I'll work on more mutations sometime soon.
Cogwerks Wrote:I'll work on more mutations sometime soon.

Please add unique chemicals to botany + useful mutations other than just food
Fox McCloud Wrote:Hydroponics is a surprisingly deep field that, unfortunately, is not usually exploited; a few people know unique splices and the good mutations, but aside from that, I never seen botany make any real headway or have any huge impact on the station (traitor or otherwise). Heck, one of the job specific traitor items for Botanist is just a blunt-force weapon, more or less that precisely discourages them from doing their job (growing stuff...and yes, I realize there's maneaters).

-Building Endurance-

Currently, you can alter every single plant's individual stats quite reliable with potash, saltpetre, and ammonia. The problem is, however, is there's no way to reliable alter endurance; you have to just plain get lucky with mutagen or random pure luck (in combination with selective breeding) for this number to go up. You can boost the endurance of slurry pods, but the problem is, these don't play nice, at all, with splicing and other plants. Why is impacting endurance so important? A number of mutations are dependent on endurance, particularly lifeweed; lifeweed is almost never seen, ever, because it's incredibly hard to get the endurance stat to heighten to the appropriate level. Perhaps compost could raise endurance as well as plant health?

Wait, plant mutations are dependent on specific stats? The wiki says mutations have a small and completely random chance of becoming a mutated variant whenever planted or infused! Does this mean there's more reliable ways to get mutations than pumping unstable mutagen into a seed and checking for mutations after each infusion?

That might be a big part of the problem - I don't think it's any coincidence that the underused mechanics in the game are usually the ones that are poorly or confusingly documented, give very little feedback regarding what you're doing right or wrong, and still don't really offer all that much payoff for your troubles.
Some of them like explosive tomatoes need specific chemicals to be infused with them and that's not even a 100% chance. Omega Weed needs extremely high potency through saltpetre infusion to become a thing.
Paineframe Wrote:Wait, plant mutations are dependent on specific stats? The wiki says mutations have a small and completely random chance of becoming a mutated variant whenever planted or infused! Does this mean there's more reliable ways to get mutations than pumping unstable mutagen into a seed and checking for mutations after each infusion?

The wiki isn't kept updated very often and sometimes the person just posts what he think is happening which can result in distorted information, sometimes (I'm as guilty of this as anyone). In any event, yes some mutations are dependent on plant stats: amanita, lifeweed, deathweed, and ghost chili to name a few.

Quote:That might be a big part of the problem - I don't think it's any coincidence that the underused mechanics in the game are usually the ones that are poorly or confusingly documented, give very little feedback regarding what you're doing right or wrong, and still don't really offer all that much payoff for your troubles.

It's really a matter of experimenting with botany; there's only a very very small handful of players that have ever bothered to remotely try doing it...the wiki at least gets people started on the idea of infusions, but even then, people barely do that or experiment with it.