Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arc Smelter Feedback Thread
So, the new smelter is cool and all, but a few problems come have up after tinkering with it for half an hour on a quiet round. I'm writing this in the early hours of the morning and I'm about to fall asleep, so please bear with me here.

At the moment you can only really make metal sheets. That's great, except that so far I've found that the metal type isn't preserved often with things made from those sheets. Rods turn into a generic grille, girders retain their metal type, but turn into regular walls even with the same sheet finishing them off, and folded chairs lose any special properties when re-folded.

All alloys appear to have a degree of transparency, even when no molitz is in the mix.

Its also possible to stick a mauxite bar into the smelter, roll that into a sheet of metal, and get ten mauxite bars out of the recycler. All metal treated this way becomes mauxite, but there's the obvious exploit out of the way.

I'm really excited about the possibilities this could have, but these bugs and oddities limit the usefulness of what you can achieve with new alloys at the moment. Some kind of metalurgical analysis thing would be nice too, so material composition, any special properties it might have, and what adjectives already in the game like 'good' and 'sturdy' translate to would add a lot of depth to the whole thing. We were even able to get erebite alloys, and if a fully fledged materials properties system is half as magical as I think it could be, the sky is the limit with the arc smelter.

If anyone finds any more bugs related to arc smelter metal or feedback, please feel free to post.
I don't think any of the fabricators accept any of the arc smelter alloys, in addition to the other things posted, so there's may as well be no reason to use it at all apart from getting infinite mauxite and different coloured wall girders, rods, and chairs.
As Keelin said on the smelter feedback thread on the bugs subforum

Keelin Wrote:Hey there!
Thanks for the reports but don't bother with them yet.
The system is not functional yet and the smelter basically just exists to make testing for me easier and maybe as a small teaser.

So yeah. No need to have this stuff yet. It's just Keelin messing around with it for a bit.
Shoots, I was hoping for a combined arc/vacuum smelter due to the close proximity to space and the fact that that plasma means high amounts of power. Smelted materials should be a requirement for higher quality products since right now item quality is kind of dubious.
Having to periodically switch out the electrodes or clean out radioactive slag would be cool as well.
I think it should work more like the Plantmaster as well, with failure rates of bonding between metals as well and insertable chemical reagants.
Stuff like lime to remove excessive slag, oxygen to produce a higher grade cut, charcoal or coke to produce a better current meaning less impurities and a better bond, and for a sci-fi twist Cryostylane if too much potential energy is trapped inside the furnace and it's about to explode.
Removal of slag should be done with specialized cutter or hammers, but I guess you could also use the mining power picks and laser drills.
Actually I was thinking it would be dorky and cool if we could make dorky nerd weapons and tools with the arc smelter.

e.g Arc reactor (which would require some vague mineral from mining, and a composition that won't crack filling the user with radiation or suddenly blow up) for generating mobile power and cool robot costumes. Of course you have to be brave enough to wear the thing and trust your build quality before you can be totally not iron man.
Also as a counter balence for crazy homemade dork tools, you would need a mold to construct those tools. Insert mold into arc smelter with two bars and hope your thing stands up to wear and tear.

some molds could be bought by vendors or QM, at a cheap to prohibitive cost. ergo glass crowbars or more fancy things.
Add plasmastone to the list of smeltable stuff so we can make erebite-plasmastone alloys for explosive fun.
atomic1fire Wrote:Actually I was thinking it would be dorky and cool if we could make dorky nerd weapons and tools with the arc smelter.

e.g Arc reactor (which would require some vague mineral from mining, and a composition that won't crack filling the user with radiation or suddenly blow up) for generating mobile power and cool robot costumes. Of course you have to be brave enough to wear the thing and trust your build quality before you can be totally not iron man.
Cue some nerd rampaging around in uqill/eribite armor. No one would dare touch him.

Im not saying this is a bad idea, im just saying this is what will probably happen.
I think pretty much everything made with erebite would be dangerous.

For instance you could be a mega jerk and put an erebite wall in front of doors. rcd sparks or a welder theoretically would be a bad idea.
atomic1fire Wrote:I think pretty much everything made with erebite would be dangerous.

For instance you could be a mega jerk and put an erebite wall in front of doors. rcd sparks or a welder theoretically would be a bad idea.

Smelt erebite, make erebite floor tiles, tile a room, order the AI to blow the lights.

Someone please test this.
If you think about it, it's amazing that you can even smelt erebite at all without blowing the thing up.
Archenteron Wrote:
atomic1fire Wrote:I think pretty much everything made with erebite would be dangerous.

Smelt erebite, make erebite floor tiles, tile a room, order the AI to blow the lights.

Someone please test this.

Tried it with an incendiary grenade. Dosnt work frown

But you CAN make erebite pipebomb frames. That's kinda fun.

But yes make erebite tool sets. Watch people try and use and erebite welder.
with most erebite objects it has to be in its loose form to go boom, sadly
Bobbeh Wrote:with most erebite objects it has to be in its loose form to go boom, sadly
this is absolutely not true as evidenced by a round this morning in which most of the station was destroyed by a dangerous erebite jumpsuit fashion trend

they're only slightly more difficult to set off. someone lighting a cigarette while wearing an erebite jumpsuit killed at least 7 people.