Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New server
I'm just curious, why is there a new server?
The third server had basically no traffic (I saw max 3 players on it once, normally its empty) so was there any need for a 4th server, given the demand?

Looking at the player stats now, #2 is currently by far the most popular with 29 players.
#1,#3 and the new #4? They have 5,3 and 2 players respectively.
I don't know about you, but unless your working away discovering stuff in silence, but anything around 5 players can be pretty boring. Even then you have the risk of the engine butting out, so you'll be working without power.
I feel like having the new servers is spreading the player base out too much, when in theory if he had only 2 servers (which we had for quite a while) we'd have the popular server with 40-50 odd on peak times, and the less popular server with 20-25 on peak times.
So yeah. Why.
I actually disagree with your two server concept, I actually love playing on a low population server, even when I'm not researching, because everything is less hectic, more laid back, and if someone is an antag they'll be sure to let you know in advance if they try to kill you, which often makes for pretty hilarious scenarios. Of course the low pop servers are good for research, but that's besides the point. I like the three server system, where one has a tiny, one has a medium, and one has a large population, it gives players with different playstyles an option to choose what kind of station they want to join, and I think that's a good thing. As far as I know, the fourth server is meant to be a European mirror of #3. At least that's what I've heard, and the latency I get when I play on it seems to back that up!
We can blame everybody's favourite blame monkey Tobba for this.
It is nice to have an EU server though.
I'm from the EU and tbh I have no issue playing on the US servers.
I don't see a point in playing on an empty EU server.
Thank you for the clarification.

Wonkmin Wrote:There we go. Sorry you have been provided with a choice. It must be very difficult and distressing.

I had a feeling that was going to be someones reaction. You must of missed my point
Sundance Wrote:I feel like having the new servers is spreading the player base out too much

The problem is also this: people don't really stick around when there's less than ten players. They'll tend to migrate to the fuller server, and this snowballs till the server is practically empty.
An EU server is great, don't get me wrong, but it isn't the choice that's the problem.

Whatever. Just go look at the server numbers right now.
imho, we could make #1 an eu server (the number of players wouldn't be too high there to cause so much lag for the US players) and leave #3 as the experimental server.
Having four servers actually gives us no choice of server assuming you want to play a proper round.

There's three broad types of SS13 players: those who don't mind chaotic rounds, those who prefer less chaos but actually want to play a round, and those who just want to do their own thing. With four servers, the players who prefer less chaos find themselves too spread out amongst the three lower-pop servers to actually play a proper round, and since they still want to play a round they go to the packed server; leaving the lower-pop servers even emptier. The result is instead of having two choices like we used to have, we now only have one.
At the end of the day what we really need is more people.

... God help us all.
We have enough players to run two rounds most of the time, but everyone overcrowds #2 because psychology.
Embolism Wrote:Having four servers actually gives us no choice of server assuming you want to play a proper round.

There's three broad types of SS13 players: those who don't mind chaotic rounds, those who prefer less chaos but actually want to play a round, and those who just want to do their own thing. With four servers, the players who prefer less chaos find themselves too spread out amongst the three lower-pop servers to actually play a proper round, and since they still want to play a round they go to the packed server; leaving the lower-pop servers even emptier. The result is instead of having two choices like we used to have, we now only have one.
Pretty much this. I want like a smaller 20 to 30 person round like #1 use to be but now it barely gets above 10 people are that is too low a number because then if I get changeling or traitor I don't even want to do my bad stuff cause I feel like I'm screwing up a round. I just end up going to #2 because more people. But 50 people is a shit ton of people and traitor rounds are more spread out that way. I think the rates should be increased alittle.
I really don't like how #2 is the only option most of the time now, especially since it tends to be even more overcrowded than it used to be resulting in severe lag just a few min into the round. I've seen #1 rise to barely-playable levels (15+) a few times recently so that's nice, but most of the time #2 is the only choice.
What happened to the days of 60 players on Gibbed 1 and 35 on Gibbed 2? Where did all of the players go?
Dwarfe Wrote:What happened to the days of 60 players on Gibbed 1 and 35 on Gibbed 2? Where did all of the players go?

They ran out of stamina
Klayboxx Wrote:
Dwarfe Wrote:What happened to the days of 60 players on Gibbed 1 and 35 on Gibbed 2? Where did all of the players go?

They ran out of stamina

Hahaha yea probably. Either than or that creepy ass guy with that fucking weird smile on his face got them. That little shit makes my nightmares.
that was a cogmap irregularity. These numbers are about how it used to be on mushroom.