Rafael Cox: Purple Text Mentor Nerd?
Usual Character Name: Rafael Cox
BYOND Username: reginaldhj
Recommended by (if applicable): Walter Poehl, Sir Mapleleaf, Philip Farmer, Prospector Pete, Strelok M.O. all mentioned at some point to try. Probably some others.
Times Available: Usually between 7 and 12 PM EST

Reason for Application + Game Experience: Peer pressure. Also, I really like the game. I admire its complexity and all the wonderful, horrendous things that people can pull off. In all the times I've been killed, I've managed to learn a thing or two. I'm always eager to help people out with stuff they're struggling with, or just the odd tip from time to time. I'm not nearly as crafty or creative as some (many) here, but I do think I'm a competent enough all around to be a sort of generalist mentor. Considering how daunting the game is for many people starting out, I'd be more than happy to teach someone how to be a doctor or engineer or botanist. Nobody likes rotting in genetics because the only geneticist has no idea how to operate the cloner. Gameplay suffers when people in any department have no idea what they're doing, with the possible exception of research. As more people get acclimated to the game and its many aspects, the greater the chance we have for clever hijinks as well as people who know how to treat the cardiac failures that will inevitably result from those hijinks.

I'm usually a doctor now and generally focus around how to keep people alive in difficult or unusual situations. I know genetics and robotics. I've hacked and constructed just about everything there is on and off the station. I've locked in, teleported, and died horribly to all the telescience destinations. While I don't play engineer as much since the great power struggle ended at NaN, I'm still useful enough in explaining how to work the engine and (mostly) why it works. I still see the minimalist setup I developed from Wolff and Farmer's research used today, even though there's loads more gas to play with these days. I know how to bake a pizza without burning it. I'm comfortable with ThinkDOS/DWAINE/packet sniffing. I know the terrible secret of beff. I want to keep cryo from killing people because the medbay staff didn't know to take off outerwear before popping someone in the tube.

I've realized security is more about protecting people from harm and hopefully keeping things fun- if it was about just getting the bad guy, murder of antagonists and permanent briggings wouldn't be (rightfully) discouraged. It's also understanding that half the station getting killed by a single traitor is no fun, just like half the station killing a single traitor for having a chameleon projector for a harmless gimmick is no fun. The whole point of the game is what happens when antagonist roles throw a wrench into the elaborate, precarious deathtrap we call a space station! I never turn down the chance to teach someone how to give a swirlie. I have a decent understanding of chemistry even though I have yet to make any horrible screaming foam death smoke. I've also learned that light cyborg legs and chainsaw arms are even more effective at making everyone scream and run away at first sight than a bedsheet with eyeholes cut out. I can sometimes not run crying from a fight.

I may not be a great player by any stretch, but I do think I know enough to help anyone else get their bearings in any department. Whether they go on to greatness or simply stop murdering themselves trying to put their shoes on, I'll be happy to help them on their way. The whole playerbase benefits from competence.

Am I a big enough dork to wear purple and answer questions all round long? That's up to you. Thank you for reading.

Your opinion of Shrek: At first I really thought Shrek was great and essential; when Shrek had to go away, I was sad. I wanted Shrek back. Over time, I realized I hadn't spent enough time with Shrek to get sick of all the Shrek all the time, like others had. Shrek's time here is ogre, as it should be. rip shrek. you will be missed.

Previous Bans: None. There was an early jobban I requested back when I was learning, but that probably doesn't count here.
Yes, this nerd is the definition of chill. He's probably written enough words for an hos app too, so consider that.
Reginald will definitely be a good mentor.
Absolutely recommended, great dude.
What the fuck? I thought you were an HoS already! DEFINITELY mentor.
Clarks Wrote:Yes, this nerd is the definition of chill. He's probably written enough words for an hos app too, so consider that.

Clarks said it first. He deserves both.
I've seen this guy around for a while now. Never seen him be shit and he is always chill. I say yes I think he would make a great mentor.
skip the middle man, Rafael Cox for HoS (this counts as a yes vote)
Geez, make this guy something asap.
I vote yes the dude been around forever give him the purple text
God damn it forgot I was already hear and voted yes already my bad just ignore my last post
How are you not a mentor, you should be a damn HoS.

Someone correct this problem immediately this is a travesty. (Very much yes)
Yeah I vouched for this guy, he's good, mentor he. Or HoS he. Both are fine.
good man.

good space man.
A fine player, I've seen him around since yonder days.