Fox's Head of Security Application
Usual Character Name: Fox McCloud
BYOND Username: Fox P McCloud
Recommend By: Kikimofo and Fishdance
Times Available: week long 9PM-4AM EST

Reason for Application:

I first heard of and began playing SS13 in late July of 2013 via a server known as “Rocket Station”. Despite the game's steep learning curve, there was something about the gameplay that enamored me; I enjoyed the complexity of the game mechanics and witnessing “emergence” in actions via all the interactions of people going about their daily jobs. I absorbed every bit of knowledge I possibly could on any and every job; chemistry, medical doctor, artifact researcher, etc, and quickly developed a reputation of that and being a highly successful traitor. I had heard about Goon, but always in the negative light, so I avoided it—that said, my yearning for learning even more complex mechanics and behaviors, particularly with chemistry lured me to try out Goon despite what I heard. What I was greeted with was what at first appeared to be chaos and insanity of the worst kind. That said, after having stayed, what I came to learn was utter chaos, was a unique code of ethics that somehow managed to hold the station together (one that I crew to like), round after round. Through all this, I applied my skills largely to the same thing I did on other codebases; absorbing every tidbit of knowledge I could in every area, whether it be botany, toxins, chemistry, telescience, or what have you. Why am I applying? As I detail below, I have a slightly different way of playing security than a lot of other individuals. By playing HoS, I'll have the opportunity to “lead by example” and give other potential officers something to emulate, behavior wise. What I didn't mention earlier is that I tend to like to play on the lower population servers Goon has—unfortunately these servers suffer from one nasty side effect; there's little the crew can do to stop people who 'murderbone' 5 minutes into a round (even more so if the round happens to be nuke ops); with the addition of an active HoS on these servers, the crew may have a bit more of a chance of stopping any would-be maniacs; again though, I can't stress enough that I'm not a vigilante, as outlined in my “security experience.”

Security Experience:

I'll be the first to admit I don't play security a huge amount; I tend to prefer discovering various quirks and oddities the station has to offer. That said, when I do play security, I generally prefer to play a more helpful and peacekeeping role as opposed to vigilante or what people stereotypically think of as security. If I see someone making trouble, I'd rather attempt to diffuse the trouble and just provide a stern warning to the trouble-maker, than just shout out “off to the brig with you!” and haul the person's butt off to the brig. Despite this method of playing, I will hunt an individual down and kill him if he or she is actively and blatantly murdering the crew, one by one in broad daylight, especially from the very start of the round (ie: if you're “murderboning”, don't expect any mercy from me). Traitor is meant to be an opportunity to spice up the round and try out that crazy (but potentially destructive) scheme, so shutting them down immediately is rather disheartening to them, but, at the same time, I feel so is taking out a plethora of people during the first 5-10 minutes of the round. Aside from my regular duties as a security officer, I try to be helpful to the crew; if I noticed some item (such as a cloner upgrade) is for sale and I can afford it, I'll purchase it and deliver it down to genetics (or whoever it may apply to). I carry a medkit with me so I can heal up any victims I come across on my patrol and try my best to deliver any dead bodies I come across to the morgue. During slow times, I mostly just patrol, hang out and chat with the barman or chef, and check in on the status of my fellow officers to make sure they're ok or if there's anything they need. When I play sec, what I ultimately aim for is, “Hey, that's Fox; he tries to help out and doesn't brig you for every little infraction.”

Security Layout Opinions:

I really like the brig cell structure; a person is automatically placed in the hall at the end of his punishment, which keeps future potential retaliation much lower. The general main layout (where the sec officers spawn) is also good; it has a good “hub” feel to it that provides easy access to everything---that said, I still feel there needs to be more than a single pair of insulated gloves.

Downsides? The entrance is very cramped and narrow. Additionally, I feel it would be great (in the future) to offer machines that could automatically match fingerprints to names (or even blood types); currently investigations are largely just “scan->read through everyone's profile for matching fingerprint” and that's the end of it.

Opinion of Shrek:

Been a long time since I've seen Shrek, but the first one was great; watched it multiple times, in theatres; one of the best looking computer animated films of its day.

Previous Bans:

None that I know of.
I recommended this guy and I stand by it. Extremely respectful, definitely knows what he's doing, and I can't say that I've ever seen him be shitty. Knows how to keep it chill, but jump into action when he's needed. Would definitely make a great HoS in my opinion.. An absolute yes from me.
As his thing says I recommend him and I do. He is a cool dude and seems smart enough to wear the beret. Haven't seen him be a shit lord or anything so yeah, A yes from me.
I have literally never seen you play security.
Unless of course you count being the Head of Personnel.
Do you?
Spy_Guy Wrote:I have literally never seen you play security.
Unless of course you count being the Head of Personnel.
Do you?

I do not count playing Head of Personnel as playing/being security. I'm definitely not surprised you've never seen me play security; as I stated, I don't play the role all that much, but I have/do occasionally play it.
Fox McCloud Wrote:I do not count playing Head of Personnel as playing/being security. I'm definitely not surprised you've never seen me play security; as I stated, I don't play the role all that much, but I have/do occasionally play it.

Excellent smile

That being said I'm still sceptical towards this application on account of not having seen you play security, and for the fact that you yourself claim to not play it as much.
You say a lot of things in your application that seems favourable enough, but as is commonly said "no plan survives contact with the staff assistants" and I wonder how it would all play out in practice?

I vote no on account of not having seen you in action enough to know you are a consistently good redsuit.
He's good enogh. Yes.
Your application is decent, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen you. Do you play on one particular server?
Kovirii Wrote:Your application is decent, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen you. Do you play on one particular server?

I tend to play primarily on #1 during the late night hours; when #3 is up, I'll usually be there, instead.
Seen him play sec a few times.
Knows the ropes. Beret him.
One of the most pleasant players, in my experience, and definitely knows what he's doing.