Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mentor IRC channel
Clarks Wrote:Having times when no mentors are available hopefully reminds people that they can get help or learn from other players as well.
i'm going to be honest, clarks. what i'm getting from your argument is that you don't want people to be using mentorhelp because they should learn from non-mentors? that kind of defeats the point of mentors in the first place. you're kind of implying that mentors are somehow supernerds or something that sit around a round table plotting against batman in some super secret club.

we're all players too- and that's kind of the problem. as i said before, setting up a mentor irc would allow for people to get their answers more quickly from mentors who are not in-game and distracted by other things, like mass murder. as it stands, mentorhelp can disrupt some peoples' flow if they have to stop and answer a question, especially if they need to explain something in-depth.

Clarks Wrote:There's a ton of rounds when mentorhelp has no questions; setting up a channel, watching it, goes way beyond what's needed.
I'm uh, no expert or anything. but as far as i know from talking with others, the only real logistical problem with setting up a channel would be compiling a list of mentors and their IRC names or having admins monitoring who's who. i dunno about the rest of you guys, but i'm pretty sure a lot of the mentors would be willing to volunteer to help out with this.
Clarks Wrote:There's a ton of rounds when mentorhelp has no questions; setting up a channel, watching it, goes way beyond what's needed.
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure there's a ton of rounds when adminhelp has no messages either, we should probably discontinue that channel too.
No, my idea is that mentors can be trusted to help when some guy asks "how do I changeling?" Like pistoleer had to walk through some guy a few days ago. But this is pretty rare.

When it comes to ordinary game questions mentorhelp is an useful addition, but can't become the primary source of help. It's not THAT hard to ask on the radio and find some ingame buddy to help you out.
The rounds with less people when there might not be mentors are also the more quiet ones where regular people are more willing to help.

But hey, whatever. It's not like I'm the one who's going to code this.
Wonkmin Wrote:Some of you are being a little sensitive. People use mentorhelp but Clarks is right - there is no reason they can't ask over the radio if there are no mentors around.

You guys are volunteers and we are very grateful for you. Don't turn it into a job.
I like helping people and wouldn't mind being able to help people when I'm not playing ss13
is that really that bad?
I think mentorhelp is fine m8s, It ain't worth the effort to make another IRC channel especially for us, If you want to be a pro helpomancer open all the servers and put them in small windows with the chat log taking up all the screen and join as an observer. smile
I think this would be a nice thing to have if it's workable to set up. We fairly regularly get "hey how come my mentorhelp wasn't answered?" posts from new players, and while it's great to encourage people to learn from other people in-game, there are situations where that doesn't really work out...

"Hey, uh, how do I remove the AI's brain? Asking for a friend."

I don't think it's a vital feature or anything, it'd just be nice. I know I'm on IRC way more than I am in-game.
Wonkmin Wrote:Some of you are being a little sensitive. People use mentorhelp but Clarks is right - there is no reason they can't ask over the radio if there are no mentors around.
You guys are volunteers and we are very grateful for you. Don't turn it into a job.

While they're free to ask in-game, I don't see the harm in having a mentorhelp IRC since mentorhelps already go to the adminhelp IRC anyways. It utilizes already available systems and would allow people like me (who are on IRC 90% of the time and actually playing the game maybe only 3-5 hours a week) to continue contributing to mentoring people without having to pull up the game itself.

If we want to help more, and it's not TOO substantial an amount of effort (unless it is, in which case I'm ignorant and sorry), I don't see how this isn't win/win all around.

Shoddy Wrote:I think mentorhelp is fine m8s, It ain't worth the effort to make another IRC channel especially for us, If you want to be a pro helpomancer open all the servers and put them in small windows with the chat log taking up all the screen and join as an observer. smile

You can't pull up the game on a phone. You CAN pull up IRC on a phone.
It could help with the fact that sometimes the mentors on the game don't have the knowledge that somebody is asking for, so a mentor from IRC could do it instead. Every once in a while I see a question that I have no idea how to answer, usually relating to dwaine or something.
Wonkmin Wrote:You guys are volunteers and we are very grateful for you. Don't turn it into a job.
We want to help MORE! for realzzies