Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Special Job: Journalist
The idea for this job is based off of the little room next to the pod hangar. The name of the job tells what it is, bother the station with pointless question, write it down, distribute it all over the station with PDA messages or use paper and pen, and take pictures of shit. No new sprites would really need to be made considering that the room I previously mentioned has all you need.

My idea for having this made as a job is to make it one of the special jobs that you can pick from once a day. Access wise, just give the journalist that basic Staff Assistant access. As for crew objectives:

Objective #1: Live a second life as a vigilante.
Objective #2: Ask the captain and/or security pointless questions and distribute lies.
Objective #3: Get sued, drunk and die.

The basic summary of this job is to just be as annoying as possible.
I've actually done this a couple of times. I basically asked for access to the detective's office to get his coat and hat, then ran around shouting about sec conspiracies and fearmongering, basically causing a ruckus without actually doing anything.
Reporter/paparazzi: Report breaking news over the radio. Host a radio show. Spread lies. Spread lies and get someone killed. Take scandalous pictures and post them to the station's status screens.
Being a journalist is pretty fun.

But like a lot of the old jobs, there isn't much reason in having it. The journalism room is a nice thing for assistants to use.

Also you can't just make it a job of the day, we already have a job for each day! (Unless you want to punt one of the old jobs out)
Then instead of cycling through 7 jobs of the day make it a random job every day so you can have as many bullshit jobs as you want.
If it's not too much of a stretch, why not just have a random event "whenver an admin feels like it" where the station is now "open to the press"

Journalists can go bother people with 50 questions about conspiracies and the station has ample time to drunkenly scream I DECLINE TO COMMENT AND PLEAD THE SPACE 5TH.

On that note, is there some kinda way to mass distribute paper, like a printing press, or is there a printer in that journalist room?
That little room was created the last time people wanted to be journalists, to see if anybody would ever use it for its intended purpose. If it was popular enough, journalists would be added.

How many times have you seen that room used for its intended purpose?
Daeren Wrote:That little room was created the last time people wanted to be journalists, to see if anybody would ever use it for its intended purpose. If it was popular enough, journalists would be added.

Once. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I never did it again because I felt no need for to do it again because it was pretty boring, since no one even knew that there was a Journalist.
Daeren Wrote:That little room was created the last time people wanted to be journalists, to see if anybody would ever use it for its intended purpose. If it was popular enough, journalists would be added.

I didn't actually know that was its purpose, honestly. I thought it was just like, a tourist/assistant lounge back when arrivals was over in that direction.
Maybe if there was a helmet cam equivalent handheld item you could carry around it would be more popular. That plus a way to make film for the regular camera.
I say we make the current journalist lounge into a full on sound-stage. Add a green screen, some costumes, a video cameria, and a video editing terminal to the room. The video cameria would allow players to capture what is happening around them for a maximum of 5 minutes. The editing computer would be used for editing to footage(with crappy special effect/green screen) for broadcast accros space. I don't know how code heavy this would be,but it would be amazing if it can be pulled off.
Video recording code would be amazing under any circumstances; no doubt it would allow for nifty lore stuff for telesci adventures. Might take a bit of the mystique out of it in that case though.
Three suggestions:

1. The addition of hallway news terminals that might display some changeable image/symbol until you walk up to one and interact with it, allowing you to scroll through news blurbs or read the 'paper'.

2. A pda program that receives news bulletins sent out from a terminal by someone, with a limit on the how often they can be sent out.

3. More intuitive or robust text editing, formatting, and maybe support for ascii images that can be embedded into papers.
Kovirii Wrote:1. The addition of hallway news terminals that might display some changeable image/symbol until you walk up to one and interact with it, allowing you to scroll through news blurbs or read the 'paper'.

2. A pda program that receives news bulletins sent out from a terminal by someone, with a limit on the how often they can be sent out.

3. More intuitive or robust text editing, formatting, and maybe support for ascii images that can be embedded into papers.

1. This would be a great way for someone to alert the station about wanted criminals. Take their picture with a camera, load it up on the screens, and attach a story about their crimes.

2. It could be something that people toggle on or off. Like subscribing to it.

3. It would be great if there was at least an edit toggle, so one could add, delete, or change the text body.