Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gym; The poor mans Genetics
So Gym has been there for quite a while. It serves no purpose other than being eye-candy and roleplay.
It'd be nice to actually have a function, y'know? Rather than be something that mentors pretend to people that it actually it does something "Yeah sure go work-out, you'll get buff!" *snort*

Here's a proposed idea: Gym should give people mild genetic powers. These mild genetic powers aren't really crazy that would make people robust the entire security force like matcho menn but would give someone an edge when fighting someone in the ring. Here's what I've come up with:

Butterfly: Enhanced Chest
Your grip is stronger! Your grab is always aggressive
Inclined Bench-Press: Enhanced Shoulders
Your grapple is greater! Throwing people and things does more damage. This includes suplexes, and hitting people against things!
Punching bag: Enhanced Biceps
You throw faster punches! The delay between throwing punches is reduced
Having all the powers unlocked turns you into a beefcake. You unlock a superior *flex, which emotes: "Joe Pubbs flexes his ridiculous muscles! They gleam and dance in the light!" Nobody's going to fuck with you, this is essentially a threat.

Adding another mechanic into the gym would be cool too I suppose: Fatigue. This means you can't stick on the same machine because your muscles are too tired. You have to change machines, or take a break, or drink some energy/water to reduce the time you can get back on the machine.
I like this idea - however, I think the "Butterfly: Enhanced Chest" should be hard to get, or it should be nerfed in some way.
With all of the powers, you should have a new-beefcakey sprite. Maybe even a ripping of your shirt.
What does the regular enhanced muscles mutation do anyway?
MedicInDisquise Wrote:With all of the powers, you should have a new-beefcakey sprite. Maybe even a ripping of your shirt.

Maybe just some low quality abs and a bit thicker sprite all around.

In addition, you shouldn't be able to equip any skintight clothing (jumpsuits). Shorts are just fine since well, they're shorts. And robes might look silly, but aren't unfeasible. Also flexing while wearing a lab coat should rip it with your incredible assistant pummeling muscles.

Maybe have it carry over aswell in the event of some silliness, like an incredibly buff person getting infected with nanobots or touching an appropriate artifact causes the resulting borg to have heavy arms and legs with a standard torso instead of our twigbots. Or getting hulk while buff causing your muscles to expand so much they tear your skin and you start bleeding out.
A beefcake with a wrestling belt should have some kind of cool side effect, like unlocking the glow mutation, because their muscles now glow with power.
Don't go too crazy with the sprite, or it'll have the same problem you get when you de-fat yourself sometimes, that the clothing sprites won't fit right and will look dumb. Maybe just a thicker chest or something. Barely noticeable, really. Enough so you could still wear shorts or those jerseys in the room next to arrivals.
Sundance Wrote:Butterfly: Enhanced Chest
This is insanely powerful.
As in, holy shit levels of powerful.

Plus, working out at the gym does something already.
Spy_Guy Wrote:

Yeahh I wanted the enhancements to be passive enough, but thinking about it, that chest enchancement would lead to chokes way too easy

Addendum:
Your grip is stronger! The passive grab is changed to a passive-aggressive grab! This allows you to throw people when they are standing, unlike the passive grab where the target would have to be lying down.

Also, what does the gym do now? It must be something completely minor because it went over my head.
Sundance Wrote:
Spy_Guy Wrote:

Yeahh I wanted the enhancements to be passive enough, but thinking about it, that chest enchancement would lead to chokes way too easy

Addendum:
Your grip is stronger! The passive grab is changed to a passive-aggressive grab! This allows you to throw people when they are standing, unlike the passive grab where the target would have to be lying down.

Also, what does the gym do now? It must be something completely minor because it went over my head.

Increases your punching power in small increments, maybe 0.05 per time you use any machine? Also, the chance for Hulk.
atomic1fire Wrote:A beefcake with a wrestling belt should have some kind of cool side effect, like unlocking the glow mutation, because their

muscles now glow with power.
They will have achieved a new state of macho: their muscles bulge and shine so much that there's a chance for them to reflect lasers/all projectiles/everything.

I've been wondering if exercising in the gym had any effects, and this is my answer right here.
I'm pretty sure gym unlocks some kinda mutation, but I think it's mostly a way to give the greyshirts something to convince themselves they are now buff.
I guess this thread is kinda redundant, somewhat, now that Stamina is introduced into the game.
I suppose this new system could give the gym a newer function?
Sundance Wrote:I suppose this new system could give the gym a newer function?
more stamina.