Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's that time of they year when we rant about security.
As someone who has never played security, I think that security should be less penalized for disciplining non-antagonist shitters, because there is no way of telling if someone is a traitor or just a massive asshole until the round ends, and there is a surprising number of assholes out there who gleefully take any opportunity they get to fuck with security. If someone is trying to beat up an officer and take their ID it doesn't matter if they are an antagonist or not, they deserve to get their asses kicked.
(05-08-2017, 05:05 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: As someone who has never played security, I think that security should be less penalized for disciplining non-antagonist shitters, because there is no way of telling if someone is a traitor or just a massive asshole until the round ends, and there is a surprising number of assholes out there who gleefully take any opportunity they get to fuck with security. If someone is trying to beat up an officer and take their ID it doesn't matter if they are an antagonist or not, they deserve to get their asses kicked.

I pretty much already do this as a Security Officer. If you don't know for sure if someone is a Antag but do know they are being a Asshole you can beat them. Just stop beating them at a certain point. There's a fine line for me and that tends to be "Don't kill them at this point" Pretty much my advice which was given to me by admins in the past is to give them three chances to knock it off. If they come back a second time still doing whatever they are doing beat them severely and adminhelp what they have been doing. It's important to let them live though the beating, some people will get it though their heads at that point that you don't want them messing with you anymore. They come back a third time arrest them and adminhelp that if they come back again then you will most likely use lethal force. I find that the moment you say in a adminhelp that you may have to use lethal force a admin will contact you and either say "Let me look into it/talk to them" or "You can go ahead and do what you want with the person" If you don't get a response and still feel like you have to go though with killing the non antag for being shit kill them and adminhelp a long and detailed report from your side of things about how it came to that. More times then I can caught I've done that got no response only to get a response after a long time has past with them saying along the lines "Sorry it took so long for one of us to see you adminhelps, Thanks for giving so much details and we'll talk to the guy".

That's how I've been handling it for years and I never got in trouble for it. But if you heed my advice please use your best judgement. It's up to you to figure out what they are doing that deserves a beating to a execution. As being a Security Officer leads to many Situational moments. Not all encounters round to round are the same.

Also when adminhelping as a Security Officer always give as much detail as possible to the admins. This helps them find what they need to know faster and makes sure no misunderstandings between you and them happen. Be honest as well you lie to them and you will be punished. Telling the truth even if you messed up in how you handle something goes a long way with the admins.

EDIT: For the love of god take your fellow Officer's word over a random Greysuit. They are your teammate and even if they may have been mindslaved you have no way of knowing till shit truly hits the fan. Try your best, use teamwork and use your best judgement. Don't turn on each over what some random greysuit says happened.
I have to agree with Lord Birb.  Even without the admins yelling at you about it ,someone else tends to find reasons to punish you because a particular person decided they wanted to fuck with you.  I'm tired of being stun batonned by my fellow security because they decided to side with the staff assistant who kept throwing pints of alcohol at me as I attempt to, at first, calmly and peacefully try to stop a situation before resorting to tazers, or siding with the captain who keeps letting prisoners that assault me go free.

Being punished for punishing shit behavior is my main reason for avoiding security roles, and the main reason I'm not avoiding it now is cause fewer people means it's less likely to happen.
Canbombs are balanced by the people who use them. As it is (or last I checked), you can make over a half dozen capped canbombs in 30 or so minutes. Deploying them is another issue, but you don't have to babysit em' as they cook so you have 20 minutes to set that up. Considering I've seen Fish make capped canbombs, I'm pretty shocked that there's ever a station.

On screamers:
> Radio Jammers were made for that.
> Perfluorodecalin can be put into hypos without an emag. Can also dip your scalpels.
> Screaming 'Help So-n-So is kill me' or similar before you attack So-n-So is a good way to get that flash mob on your side. That is, if they bother with asking the AI where you are.
Did the canbomb max temp limit get reduced? It used to take 50+ minutes to actually heat it up to the real cap.
(05-08-2017, 05:13 PM)Technature Wrote: I have to agree with Lord Birb.  Even without the admins yelling at you about it ,someone else tends to find reasons to punish you because a particular person decided they wanted to fuck with you.  I'm tired of being stun batonned by my fellow security because they decided to side with the staff assistant who kept throwing pints of alcohol at me as I attempt to, at first, calmly and peacefully try to stop a situation before resorting to tazers, or siding with the captain who keeps letting prisoners that assault me go free.

Being punished for punishing shit behavior is my main reason for avoiding security roles, and the main reason I'm not avoiding it now is cause fewer people means it's less likely to happen.

this isn't limited to just security. i've noticed since starting to play again that there are a lot of players who ignore common sense and just start beating on whoever is winning a fight that they show up to. cut that shit out.
there was this one time that the ai screaming at us borgs to slaughter some poor guy because it said it saw him transform and was thus an inhuman changeling but it turned out the poor guy was just like injected with somebodys blood mutagen stuff and we seemed to be forgiven for it generally and we pulled the guy to cloning and it was a relief in how laid back it was handled, so you security should be entitled to approximately as much leeway