Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medals, and why we can't talk about them
If medals are that big of an issue during the round, why not just announce the medals unlocked at the end of the round instead.

Also I honestly prefer not talking about them.

It's that much more fun when you accidentally unlock one and you have no idea how.

Otherwise I'd check wiki and try to get every medal.

I don't even know how many medals there are but I think I have a lot and that's enough for me.
I believe there's 99 medals. :x

I have 56.
YJHGHTFH Wrote:Speaking of medals, they probably shouldn't be announced during a round 'cause some of them are pretty revealing of the current situation.

on the other hand hearing an explosion then seeing a bunch of OW! MY BALLS! medals rules
I got a medal once. It was made of chocolate.
A good portion of the medals haven't been earned by anyone at all. I guess they're broke.

I do like seeing the Fish medal being handed out.
Conor12 Wrote:I do like seeing the Fish medal being handed out.
I love seeing Fish pop up during a solarium post-round, or one where there's a bunch of admin shenanigans going on. Gotta wonder what someone's impression is like when their first time playing is crazy nonsense like that.
I really wanna know how you get "Honk HONK Mother FU-"

Like I'm an admin and I have no fucking idea what a good chunk of the really obscure medals are actually for, which is kinda dumb IMO. Make medal requirements openly knowable, and either make announced medals appear at the end of the game or we just crush people who openly metagame using them. For instance, most players know exactly what medal means "changeling" and what medal means "traitor with a c-saber" after long enough or getting them themselves, and we're fooling ourselves if we say that they dont at least partially change how they play once they see one, even if they dont start hunting down the source of the medal.

Anything that gets people to do more of the hilarious and obscure shit that medals involve is good IMO, and being more open about it might mean we can make more medals for stuff like Telescience (beyond Icarus, that is), mad science, actually completing your personal objectives as a janitor/chaplain, and the like. I like medals.
Daeren Wrote:I really wanna know how you get "Honk HONK Mother FU-"

Like I'm an admin and I have no fucking idea what a good chunk of the really obscure medals are actually for, which is kinda dumb IMO. Make medal requirements openly knowable, and either make announced medals appear at the end of the game or we just crush people who openly metagame using them. For instance, most players know exactly what medal means "changeling" and what medal means "traitor with a c-saber" after long enough or getting them themselves, and we're fooling ourselves if we say that they dont at least partially change how they play once they see one, even if they dont start hunting down the source of the medal.

Anything that gets people to do more of the hilarious and obscure shit that medals involve is good IMO, and being more open about it might mean we can make more medals for stuff like Telescience (beyond Icarus, that is), mad science, actually completing your personal objectives as a janitor/chaplain, and the like. I like medals.
I like medals too but what I really like are Achievement rewards. I want more of those.
KikiMofo Wrote:

I like medals too but what I really like are Achievement rewards. I want more of those.

Since they're purely aesthetic, I don't see too much of a problem with that for more of the hard-to-get ones like the telesci stuff.
Crumplehat Wrote:
KikiMofo Wrote:

Since they're purely aesthetic, I don't see too much of a problem with that for more of the hard-to-get ones like the telesci stuff.
The thing about the robes is you can hide syndie command armor under them and no one will know unless you take it off and they examine them. I've done that trick a couple times.
Oh. Maybe that should be restricted to lab coats then.
You can also do it with straight jackets, which makes for a hilarious trap.
RedbeardRum Wrote:You can also do it with straight jackets, which makes for a hilarious trap.
I love doing that. It's great.
I like the idea of having more special sprites for things.

Like that cool glowy mask for gas mask. Perhaps the prescription glasses could be turned into aviator goggles, or other types of glasses that are purely cosmetic with some medals. It would give mechanics and geneticists something neat to wear around.

If it's not actually a big deal that medals exist, and everyone seems okay with letting the cat out of the bag, why not let people suggest some ridiculous (but code-able) medals and maybe some random rewards for unlocking them, like a medal for overdosing on multiple drugs at the same time could give you a tye dye staff assistant uniform.