Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Good Sec Thread(tm)
Coolguye Wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure why the Portabrig doesn't get more use. I use it every time I'm an Officer, the faults people talk about with people being able to resist and decuff themselves or whatever, I've just never run into at all. The only time I had problems was when I forgot to restrain someone before putting them in the portabrig, so they shoved their way past me and leaped in the disposal chute to escape custody. You're going to run straight back to Security anyway to search and sentence your suspect if you cuff-pull them, the portabrig gives the same functionality. The only difference is that you can't have a dude shoved off you and have another god damned chase start.

Since input is slowing down I'm going to synthesize what I've seen plus my own ideas to make a standard arrest procedure - I'll take critiques on how to fine-tune it from there. Also in the interest of not making this thread blow up like a fucking balloon and because this site uses only 1 column of a 3 column layout for reasons known only to the webmaster and God, I went ahead and just pasted it on a pastebin site. Go ahead and critique it to your heart's content: http://sebsauvage.net/paste/?3971f9b911 ... sfljhbnQc=

That is a pretty good summary and covers all of the bases.
Splatpope Wrote:vitriol means travel to the center of earth to find the hidden stone GOD DAMMIT
you might want to check dictionary.com on that one buddy
Coolguye Wrote:
Splatpope Wrote:vitriol means travel to the center of earth to find the hidden stone GOD DAMMIT
you might want to check dictionary.com on that one buddy

you might want to check any history book talking about alchemy

not my fault if dumb old englishmen decided that suddenly vitriol should mean grief lets stick to the real meaning of words jesus christ
dumb
since nobody's offered any criticism of the writeup i'll probably add it to the wiki in the next few days

i'm presuming that
Cogwerks Wrote:dumb
refers to the limpwristed bickering about the meaning of the word 'vitriol'
Everything gleaned from this thread has been incorporated in to the wiki page. I was actually able to make the article slightly shorter than it was while adding in a ton more detail on how to be effective yet polite and all around not shit. Huge thank you to everyone who contributed. Nobody has any excuse to be a massive douche while playing Sec now, because it's spelled out step by step how you can not be a douche. I encourage people to wave that page in front of douchy guards teasingly.

I was using the procedures myself for a few days before I did the write-up, and I will say I got some great results. Two persistently shitty suspects actually verbally told me "you know what, you haven't been shit. I'll stop resisting arrest" and then did not reoffend the rest of the round. I also had it not work at all in the case of the serious shitheads, but those people ended up getting adminhelped to hell and back so I don't feel bad about that.
Not sure if this has been pointed out yet, since I skipped pages 2-3, but I wouldn't call discount dan's a mild poison. The stuff is pretty lethal, I've been killed a few times by it before.
RedbeardRum Wrote:Not sure if this has been pointed out yet, since I skipped pages 2-3, but I wouldn't call discount dan's a mild poison. The stuff is pretty lethal, I've been killed a few times by it before.
yeah it has, i wasn't aware that some varieties of DD's contained stuff like mutagens or i would've never even asked. The final product I posted specifically enumerates force-feeding DD's as a Bad Thing as a result.
I have found that when putting in a fingerprint for a new secmate record, it changes the name.
So a couple nights ago I caught a security officer choking the janitor to death for some unspecified crime. I quickly adminhelp his ass. What happens next is typical of an overzealous security guard:

1) Gets disarmed by said janitor.
2) Gets stunned.
3) Gets handcuffed
4) Stripped
5) Left to steam in anger, naked and handcuffed in the brig. No ID or anything.
6) Find out that the crime was mopping the floors with the signs up near security.

So the moral of this story is: Don't choke people.
When someone is being pure shite would it be considered lawful to just forcefeed some booze intotheir system? Not enough to make them drunk for the rest of the round, by enough to make em pass out a few times. I have done this before as nonsec but it didn't really work because I had no cuffs so they were in grit the whole time... But dont worry, they were a very bad person.
No.
Morphing_Dwarf Wrote:When someone is being pure shite would it be considered lawful to just forcefeed some booze intotheir system? Not enough to make them drunk for the rest of the round, by enough to make em pass out a few times. I have done this before as nonsec but it didn't really work because I had no cuffs so they were in grit the whole time... But dont worry, they were a very bad person.
Ehem. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Morphing_Dwarf Wrote:Hey guys this jerk was being rude to me so I tried to give him alcohol poisoning. Dont worry though he was shit so he had it coming so is it ok to do?
The problem with playing security is that you either end up a butt monkey for the crew to abuse, or you end up as 'bad security' because you adopt a zero tolerance operating procedure.

Nine out of ten times security is involved in something, it's because some crewmember is being a trolling non-antagonist dickhead out to stir up a shitstorm and dance on the line of what's tolerable, just trying to get a rise out of people (and the 'pretend authority' in particular).

I never liked playing security. What is in theory a pretty awesome job (protecting the spacestation and it's crew against traitors and other antagonists) quickly revolves into hiding in a high security area from the legions of greyshirt twats who are out to provoke you into pulling out your equipment so they can nick it.

I found that playing a cyborg fills pretty much the same role as security, but with the added benefit that you have a more loosely assigned role, and you're not constantly being chased by little sperglords that want your gear. Ofcourse neutralizing antagonists is pretty difficult, comparatively, but that just makes it more fun because you have to improvise, instead of using the shitty robust combat system.