Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
make firesuits not be worthless
I'm sure some of you have been in this situation: The engine erupts in flames, with pipes bursting all over the damn place. You heroically struggle into your firesuit, get your oxygen tank going, and wade into the blaze to put it out. Except the heat just goes right through your suit and you get horribly fucked up in seconds.

Make firesuit wearers immune to fire and heat like they used to be. You're slowed to a crawl while wearing one and can't use them as impromptu space suits like in ancient times, might as well make them useful for their intended purpose.
Alternatively, yell at a borg or get heat resistance like normal people do.
Berrik Wrote:I'm sure some of you have been in this situation: The engine erupts in flames, with pipes bursting all over the damn place. You heroically struggle into your firesuit, get your oxygen tank going, and wade into the blaze to put it out. Except the heat just goes right through your suit and you get horribly fucked up in seconds.

Make firesuit wearers immune to fire and heat like they used to be. You're slowed to a crawl while wearing one and can't use them as impromptu space suits like in ancient times, might as well make them useful for their intended purpose.

the usual engine temperature if a proper hell burn is done reaches into the millions of degrees Celsius. The ambient temperature alone inside the hot loop room exceeds 50,000C at the very end of the room to the south. A Fire suit really shouldn't be able to let you wade through something that hot.
hatmadder Wrote:the usual engine temperature if a proper hell burn is done reaches into the millions of degrees Celsius. The ambient temperature alone inside the hot loop room exceeds 50,000C at the very end of the room to the south. A Fire suit really shouldn't be able to let you wade through something that hot.

as long as we're violating the laws of physics on a regular basis there's no reason the firesuits can't be made of super asbestos
mozi Wrote:
hatmadder Wrote:the usual engine temperature if a proper hell burn is done reaches into the millions of degrees Celsius. The ambient temperature alone inside the hot loop room exceeds 50,000C at the very end of the room to the south. A Fire suit really shouldn't be able to let you wade through something that hot.

as long as we're violating the laws of physics on a regular basis there's no reason the firesuits can't be made of super asbestos

which should give you super cancer. Put on a firesuit, take massive toxin damage.
mozi Wrote:as long as we're violating the laws of physics on a regular basis there's no reason the firesuits can't be made of super asbestos
How about firesuits protect you for some amount of time, say 30 seconds while engulfed in the fire, and based on some factors like temperature become less and less effective at protecting you?

hatmadder Wrote:which should give you super cancer. Put on a firesuit, take massive toxin damage.
If you've been in the fire a long time, or wear one without internals for too long?

We can cut out the cancer, right?
i looked at the item's vars,
the plain firesuit looks to resist up to 4500 degrees
there is a heavy firesuit that resists up to 10,000 degrees, but no idea where it spawns naturally
I varedited a firesuit's temperature protection to inf but I still caught on fire immediately. I think this is because firesuit objects have the same burn point as any other external piece of clothing. this might be an oversight that got missed when fire code was changed
mozi Wrote:i looked at the item's vars,
the plain firesuit looks to resist up to 4500 degrees
there is a heavy firesuit that resists up to 10,000 degrees, but no idea where it spawns naturally

The heavy firesuit spawns on the lava planet.
Yup, it's kind of weird. I decided to take a nap inside the combustion chamber when I had fire resistance, but when I dropped my backpack by accident, it near instantly turned to ash. All my other pieces of clothing I was wearing were perfectly fine.
Could just replace all the firesuits with the heavy firesuit, if there's even a difference.
i shouldve specified it was the heavy firesuit I was using in the test. I opened a can of plasma and threw in a welder. the fire had barely started but was enough to ignite me while wearing it, so, something codewise needs to be tweaked
mozi Wrote:i shouldve specified it was the heavy firesuit I was using in the test. I opened a can of plasma and threw in a welder. the fire had barely started but was enough to ignite me while wearing it, so, something codewise needs to be tweaked

Stupid question, but were you taking burn damage while on fire? Because I have noticed that even in a simple plasma fire you will be set ablaze while in the suit, but not take fire damage.
Is the firesuit in the general manufacturer/that clothing printer thing

why not add the firesuit (and perhaps the super firesuit) as manufacturable items.

Granted you still need to have the materials on hand to make super fire suits, but make it expensive enough that generally only the engineers will bother to make them. For example if a engineer wants to sleep in the engine, or they want to be prepared incase the engine goes super inferno or the station slowly turns into a volcano.

At the very least, someone could bulk make fire suits and fire extinguishers and use whoevers on hand to stop the fire as much as possible.
Considering the engine somehow seems to work better when it's on fire these days I don't much see the point. Why bother putting it out?