Mentor Application: ValiantD
Since there's no known template for the Mentorship position, I'll try to at least make it look presentable.

Name: Val
BYOND Key: ValiantD
SA name: N/A
In-Game Name: Several. It changes regularly, but I do play a few 'characters'.

Times of Availability:
Varies, but usually either early morning (0000-0600) or mid-day (1600-2200) on any given weekday. Late evenings (1800-0200) on weekends. Subject to change, depending on circumstances.

Game Experience:
I have been playing SS13 fairly regularly now for about a month or two. In that time I have learned nearly everything there is to know about every job position or antagonist role on the station, save for security/heads.

I have a basic but sufficient understanding of the game interface and mechanics. I am very patient and would not mind demonstrating or going step-by-step on certain procedures to ensure someone understands what they're doing.

Why Mentorship?:
To help new players with the learning curve, to guide regulars with certain roles, and generally to try and see to it that the shittiness of the game's platform doesn't cause too many headaches. I wouldn't mind volunteering for inane demonstrations should the need arise or give out tips that can lead in the right direction.

I play regularly enough that I can be available at times that are the most and least frequently populated by players. I can quickly adapt to changes within the game such as those mentioned in the changelogs and pick up a new skill relatively quickly. Otherwise, the prospect of mentorship is one that I would take without hesitation or consideration that it may cut into my own interests.
Perhaps you should post your 'characters' names so people can actually associate this post with someone?
Please answer these questions, as a test of your mentoring abilities:

What would you say are the two most important things when helping/mentoring peepz? Why?
How would you help a new player who got picked for security/antagonist?
Where is the bar?
Do you like the color purple? Why/why not?
GreenAcidRageSA Wrote:Perhaps you should post your 'characters' names so people can actually associate this post with someone?

Detailed on http://autisticpowers.info/ss13/forum/vi...&t=33#p230.

I am playing as "Erin Tasker" on G4 now. She's a bit strange, but otherwise a good person.

Nitrous Wrote:Please answer these questions, as a test of your mentoring abilities:
What would you say are the two most important things when helping/mentoring peepz? Why?
How would you help a new player who got picked for security/antagonist?
Where is the bar?
Do you like the color purple? Why/why not?

1. The two most important things when mentoring someone is to both ensure that they understand what you tell them and that their questions and concerns are addressed fully. The first thing is important as you will not get anywhere with anyone if they don't know what you're talking about and the second is also important as it will help them meet their goal as well as have more confidence in the mentor help system. Both of these ensure that anyone who asks for help gets it and will come back to you in case they need further help.

2. If I were to be mentorhelped about antagonist or security roles, I would suggest to their situation by case.

If it was a security player, I would suggest them to keep their security items on their person and not out at all times and to mainly try to keep civil order on the station. Perhaps even to respond to anyone who yells out for security over the radio and basically ensure that no one is killing someone else in plain sight of you. That beatings are unacceptable and you are to cause the least amount of harm to someone as possible, even if your perp already murdered or destroyed everything else. You are the police, not a soldier. If you ever have to apprehend and brig someone, make it for a reasonable amount of time - 5 minutes for pushing someone down and farting on them is unacceptable and even unworthy of a stunstick in most circumstances. And also that you should lock up all of the lockers in sec office and throw anyone out who isn't supposed to be there.

If however, I was messaged by an antagonist, the first thing I'd tell them is not to blab to anyone you're the changeling/traitor/wizard, because that's stupid. Then depending on what antagonist role they got, I'd suggest whatever that particular role or traitor task may involve.

In the case of wizards, I'd suggest them to get decked with spells and to check them in the spells tab that appears in their side panel. That you can cast multiple spells at once, but all spells have a certain cooldown period before you can recast them. That you need to have full wizard gear and staff at all times to even be able to channel magic. And that the chaplain is your mortal enemy, so do your best to defeat them.

For changelings, it's much the same, although I just give a brief explanation of how spit, toxins, and absorbing people go. And that mimic people is the best thing you can do to stay off of people's attention. That they shouldn't go monkey without DNA. That they can breathe but not move freely in space. And that you're non-human so the AI has no problems killing you if it finds out your a changeling.

If a traitor asks for help, I guess I'd say that they should look at their objectives and then decide if they need syndicate items to get their job done or not. Then I'll explain how they can access their syndicate item menu, that they have to be somewhere no one else will yell at them for spawning them, and that they should always lock their PDA after they are done. And that they're pretty much free to kill anyone and cause mayhem as they see fit.

For Nuke Ops, I'll just tell them to stick with your other operatives, find the disk and fly back to the syndicate shuttle to arm the bomb. I'll explain that they explode upon death, so if any of your buddies or you die, you will cause some great damage in the immediate area. That the captain usually holds the disk and will probably try to hide it on someone or somewhere. The military PDA is important, but not necessary. And that you should put on internals before you walk into space.

As for Vampires, I'll tell them they're essentially traitors that have to unlock their powers rather than order items from a PDA. That they have to drink people's blood by clicking on them with the head targeted and the harm intent. And that this process will have your victim conscious, so it's in your best interest to knock them the hell out first. That you can drink blood from the floor, gibs, or extractions from syringes, but that fresh blood is actually needed to unlock your powers. I'll explain powers in detail if asked.

3. The bar is toward the southwestern side of the station, past crew quarters and in the hallway right before tool storage and security. Head west from the detective's office and you should be able to walk into it.

4. The Color Purple is an excellently written book and despite its critics over some controversial content the work contains, it is a must-read and I highly recommend it to anyone who is into dramas that have a historical and social context to them.

And the color purple itself, as in the actual color, is not a bad one. It isn't my favorite, but I don't have any complaints over it either. I guess there isn't enough purple in my life to really appreciate it.