Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Martian Mode
ferriswheel1 Wrote:Mancer ideas
These are some solid suggestions. I like the idea of intrinsic ship bonuses that the Mancer could provide. If we're going down the route of the mothership having the same properties as the cruiser with the Pilot, Shields and Guns, perhaps the Mancer could add a bonus to whatever he's in?
Pilot = Faster ship
Shields = Higher output
Guns = Faster recharge.
Of course the Sire would also get this ability, because he's the motherfucking boss.

I'm hesistant on the idea of the biogun, there's some balancing issues that I notice. Like the Martian brew spray. Even running into a crowd and spamming that means that your spray buffs the fuck outta you, while horribly radiating others. So there's literally no consequence to splashback, which is bad because the flamethrower is a weapon that needs to handled juuust right. Perhaps instead of a unique biogun, it starts with the base Foul Flamer (name of the file in my folder), which can accept chems which the mancer spawns with a selection of 2-3 (and can buy more). Essentially this is a biochemist angle, meaning he can experiment with different chems.
They need to be a little less effective than your current suggestions however. The current iteration is a sorium flamethrower, which while sounds effective, really is not as it is just as likely to damage your troops if used incorrectly.

I'd probably go with upping the armor level of mancer to light to give it a little more fight.

Ferriswheel1 Wrote:Mothership ideas
The bioacid cannon is almost word for word what I had in mind for the main gun. Although I think the wall melting thing should be on a seperate cooldown, otherwise the entire station will be depressurised.

I like the idea of the nematocyst turret, that is a good idea.

Another ability is an "IMP" dispenser, which ejects a small 1x1 pod for a martian to board. Ideally the martian would be in the pod upon ejecting.
It does need more offensive abilties, suggestions welcome. One non-offensive is the regenerate ability, which shuts both down the pilot and shields leaving it stranded but will begin to heal the damage on the pod.

Here's the thing with the teleporter. That was actually suggested in the Molly's OP but when I kind of hijacked the idea, I scrapped the teleporter entirely because:
1. It's overpowered. Imagine chilling in your room, doing robotics or chemistry and all of a sudden 3 martians appear in your room. With the current stuff on paper, that would be almost instant doom.
2. It unbalances everything. The idea is that when martians do a "raid", they have limited resources away from the ship. You can't heal yourself (unless you have the limited stims that the mancers have) your guns require recharge at the ship, AND your entire objective revolves around getting players to the ship.
3. Following on from point 2, it goes against the grain of the mode. The idea of the mode is team-based, but also space based. You are tied specifically to the ship. Stray from the ship, you'll find yourself in deep waters, pun intended. Having the martians crack open a wall, bust in and raid humans/items will require the ship to remain somewhat stationary. This invites conflict, as players can not only attack the martians from face to face, but can use pods to attack the mothership. Using a teleporter negates all of this interesting conflict.
How would you feel about the ability for the Martians to set up a beacon of sorts, which then becomes a waypoint; allowing other martians to teleport to wherever the beacon is placed?

Similar to the current teleporter/beacon system (only not cross compatible) but as a Martian, one could travel back and forth via the beacon. Human crew members can attack/destroy the beacons.

A depressurised ship is currently the Martian's worst nightmare. At only 70 health, they take damage so quickly from being in a vented room that they die within three to five seconds. I'm not exaggerating either. So, a gun that pokes holes in the ship is a big mistake for them.
(Currently)
(06-12-2017, 06:08 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: How would you feel about the ability for the Martians to set up a beacon of sorts, which then becomes a waypoint; allowing other martians to teleport to wherever the beacon is placed?

Similar to the current teleporter/beacon system (only not cross compatible) but as a Martian, one could travel back and forth via the beacon. Human crew members can attack/destroy the beacons.

A depressurised ship is currently the Martian's worst nightmare. At only 70 health, they take damage so quickly from being in a vented room that they die within three to five seconds. I'm not exaggerating either. So, a gun that pokes holes in the ship is a big mistake for them.
(Currently)

I like the idea of a beacon, it negates the "suddenly martians!" thing I mentioned. The beacon should be pretty obvious, so you'd want to hide it into a maint to get a drop. It should be used for 1-2-1 travel, meaning you can't take humans back with you, so it's only good for entry, and retreat.

Martians in this mode are invulnerable to cold and oxy damage. Bear in mind the current iterations of the martian code cirrial is toying with isn't the same as this concept (yet)
I think it would be cool if blowing up a Martian Shuttle counted for something at the end of the round.

Mostly because of the movie Independence Day.

[probably stupid idea]

Make it so that a dedicated crewmen can hack the martian shuttle to explode, but they can also just use conventional beaker bombs or pipebombs.
(06-12-2017, 10:07 AM)atomic1fire Wrote: I think it would be cool if blowing up a Martian Shuttle counted for something at the end of the round.

[probably stupid idea]

Make it so that a dedicated crewmen can hack the martian shuttle to explode, but they can also just use conventional beaker bombs or pipebombs.

If you're talking about the cruiser, then the current syndicate cruiser uses a DWAINE interface for some parts. There's also plans to give them explosive power cores. Cruisers being blown up by packet-magic when?
(06-12-2017, 10:40 AM)ferriswheel1 Wrote:
(06-12-2017, 10:07 AM)atomic1fire Wrote: I think it would be cool if blowing up a Martian Shuttle counted for something at the end of the round.

[probably stupid idea]

If you're talking about the cruiser, then the current syndicate cruiser uses a DWAINE interface for some parts. There's also plans to give them explosive power cores. Cruisers being blown up by packet-magic when?

There should be a physical component, like an item or something you need in order to get the actual server address.

Otherwise you'll have people building dwayne scripts to check for alien cruisers and then blow them up.

Now that I realize it, there's also nothing stopping the aliens from just bombing the mainframe and taking out dwaine.
I think it'd be neat if Martians could always activate Martian artifacts by touching them, and in addition always be able to know what their function is by looking at them .

[probably stupid idea]

Blowing up the martian mothership counts towards a station victory, this is an intended. Maybe have a cutscene of it exploding similar to the nuke ops?
Boarding the shuttle and chucking in a TTV while would be difficult, should definetely be an option for those brave/insane enough.

Quote: Now that I realize it, there's also nothing stopping the aliens from just bombing the mainframe and taking out dwaine.

The martians have multiple targets that they can choose, such as QM, podbay, AI, Toxins; all for seperate obvious reasons so they can continue their raid. Adding the mainframe on that list would be great, this after all is a slow burn nuke op style gamemode.

My question is: How would "hacking" work? The Mothership isn't connected to the mainframe.
obviously martian bio computers operate on telepathic principles for wireless usage.

so what you do is tell someone with the telepathy mutation what command strings to transmit it to the martian computerbrain. maybe you have to hook them up to the comms dish to accomplish this. i dont know.
I couldn't test this because it's so rare, but do Tinfoil hats protect from the new martian telepathic attacks? If not, they should since that's how it worked before.

There should also be a way to find them beyond hoping you get a trinket. I think crafting them might be a bit much but placing them in odd places around the station and/or debris field would help.
rolling pin + metal sheet = foil sheet :3
(06-14-2017, 12:27 PM)Arborinus Wrote: I couldn't test this because it's so rare, but do Tinfoil hats protect from the new martian telepathic attacks? If not, they should since that's how it worked before.

There should also be a way to find them beyond hoping you get a trinket. I think crafting them might be a bit much but placing them in odd places around the station and/or debris field would help.

Add a weaker version. Like a urine soaked towel that needs to be rewetted to keep it working. Full crazy hobo mode