Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perhaps: EMP's and stuff
So emp blasts are something that we rarely rarely get to see. Why? Because they are limited to EMP grenades, one type of traitor item.
Emp blasts damage machinery and borgs, that's about it.
On the otherhand explosives damage everything. They come in many flavors of traitor items: cigs, pipebombs, denomatrix, microbombs. But they are also (and more importantly) craftable. You can make Tank transfer valves, single tank bombs and pipebombs of varying degrees of power.

Emp's, despite being inferior damage to explosives, are not craftable at all to my knowledge. They are present somewhat in EMP blasts from drones, and the EMP attachment to guns.

So honestly, why not have them craftable? And if so, what department has the tools to craft one? Well..
Suggestion 1: Let mechanics craft an E-bomb
With all the mechanics updates going on, I think they should have a weapon to utilize, their technical brains rivaling that of the scientist. It should be difficult and take time to make, just like a tank transfer valve. It should be a large object, and cannot be put in a backpack, just like a tank transfer valve. The e-bomb, just like it's explosive counterpart should be regarded as pretty bad, and with little legit purpose (unless there's a cyborg revolution or something), carrying it around would send off alarm bells to security. It should also be regarded as bad for mechanics too, which brings me onto my second suggestion:
Suggestion 2: EMP's should damage all mechanical stuff, INCLUDING mechanic constructions
This may already be a thing. If it is, then I am silly. If it is not, then why isn't it? They are purely electronic after all. Also having this makes the construction of e-bombs even tougher, as making one could be met with hostility to your fellow mechanics. It could also be used as a hard counter to any death machines mechanics manage to build, a traitor with emp grenades could really mess up their stuff.
And finally:
Suggestion 3: Buff EMP grenades a little
EMP nades are pretty good in a fight against security as it damages their stun weaponry, but they could do with a little buff. Maybe put a bit of flash powder in there, so you get more bang for your buck.
Would it be possible to make EMP bombs act like electronic-only bombs? Like, if you set a low-level EMP off, it would act like it emagged everything in a small area. If you set a big one off, anything close by that's electronic, like computers, borgs, and buddies, would just get blown to smithereens.

So instead of damaging things, EMPs would only have two settings: Fun and Fuck You. Depending on the size and location of the explosion, those would vary.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:Would it be possible to make EMP bombs act like electronic-only bombs? Like, if you set a low-level EMP off, it would act like it emagged everything in a small area. If you set a big one off, anything close by that's electronic, like computers, borgs, and buddies, would just get blown to smithereens.

So instead of damaging things, EMPs would only have two settings: Fun and Fuck You. Depending on the size and location of the explosion, those would vary.

I was thinking a craftable EMP bomb would kinda act like a power-sink. It would have to be wired up to the station, and after 5 seconds, depending on the amount of power going through it, would blow the fuck up.
I was thinking a EMP would basically be FANCY ELECTRICAL THINGS inside a pipebomb frame.

maybe an electrical coil, a magnet, some other stuff.

That would require stun gloves, access to mechanics, and lot's of time to build.

More research on NNEMP's would be needed because I don't grasp the EMP science stuff too well.

You could go the nuclear route, and require radium/some kind of radioactive rocks/ whatever and a pipebomb frame, but really that just be either a dirty bomb or a nuke. At that point why not just build radium smoke bombs and irradiate everything in the game.
Well, the whole point of an EMP is to take a shitton of electrons, and fire them around as quickly as you can. Nukes do this just because they release so much energy it would harder to make them not generate an EM pulse. Conventional explosives can do this, but it kind of defeats the purpose of a nonlethal weapon to have it explode. The best construction would probably be figuring out which material works as a superconductor, and then wiring it up in some kind of assembly including a Cerenkite Power Cell. Those are pretty damn hard to get, so it wouldn't be easy, but the power cell could act as a combination charger/explosive. I would guess it could go something like this:

Use wire on Claretine Ore (Or can you process Claretine ore into some kind of ingot using a Recycler?) to wrap the wire around the ore.
Use Wire+Ore(or Ingot+Ore) on a Cerenkite Power Cell to attach it to the side, and wire it in.
Use a timer/signaller/proximity detector on the Wire/Ore/Cell assembly to prep it for detonation.
Use a screwdriver to secure the EMP bomb.

Activate your preferred method of choice, and when it's time to blow, the device glows bright blue for about 2 seconds, and then zaps everything in range. Anyone standing directly on top of the device, or holding it, is knocked down, stunned, and takes 35 brute damage.

So you can drop it on the ground and set a trap, toss it somewhere as a bomb, or just eat the explosion, and carry it around with you to ensure it blows where you need it to. The timer not only serves to charge the device up, it also means you can activate it and have time to throw it before it goes off. unsmigghh
I just suggested a pipebomb frame because it looks kinda like the thing they'd use to build an emp bomb.

EPFCG

Also explosively pumped flux compression generator sounds like a nerd weapon on a tv show or something, like someone tried to jam as many science sounding words into one acronym.

I feel like fancy science math should be used to determine how big an EMP burst is. Because it is such a nerd weapon.

Anyway I'm thinking a slight redesign of my suggestion.

Mining explosive + Magnet + wire + battery + various buttons and components from the old mechanics.

Note that I don't actually have a keen grasp on EMP science, other then magnet + explosive + coiled up wire = power source for an EMP.
I think the thing you're missing is that when they say "Magnetic Field", they don't mean "magnet". They mean an electromagnet, which is created by the looped wire. There's no actual magnets in an EPFCG. That's why I mentioned wrapping the wire around the things in my suggestion. The problem is that EPFCG's require a ton of explosive material. The US Military has had a bid out for years to give money to the first person that hands them a nonlethal EMP grenade. Nobody can do it. (yet)

You'd need an incredible superconductor to store the energy in for a relatively small explosion to generate a decent-sized EMP, which is why I suggestion Claretine, since it's described as a strong conductor.

The reason I suggested a big assembly is because

A) Sundance suggested this as an engineering counterpart to the tank transfer bomb.
B) Bigger sprites are easier to sprite, plus it would let you make it look really, really cool.
C) Realistically, even if you used a miracle superconductor and an incredible battery, (That doubles as the explosive, remember) you're still going to need a pretty big device to generate any decent-sized EM burst.
Well, seen as we're talking about the construction, I left that open to table to see what you guys could think of. But yeah essentially:

-->Big assembly, but no bigger than tank transfer valve. I.e: It can be picked up, but cannot be put in a bag.
-->Requires stuff MOSTLY from mechanics. Would preferably use some new stuff in it.
-->Requires TIME to make. You ain't going to making this in a hurry, for sure.
-->Should be based on real life interpretations of E-bombs. Look in the interwebs. High Powered microwaves/ nuclear / flux compression related stuff would be interesting. Who says we have to stick to one? Why not combine them ALL?

So it's something that requires HIGH (I MEAN HIGH) power. Which is why I suggested that it works like a powersink, you have to screw it down to wire to activate it, although that sounds quite limiting now that I think about it.
I'm hesitant to including mining stuff in it like cerenkite (although very cool suggestion, the blue and nuclear stuff works, the EMP nades look like they're cerenkite powered) and Clarentine, although they could work just like pipebomb's, i.e: The inclusion of them makes for a stronger EMP blast.
Can Clarentine even be recycled from stuff on the station? If not it definitely should be.

I'd also prefer it used the NEW mechanic stuff, because I don't know how long the old will around for until it is removed outright.
I think if someone launches nukes that explode up in orbit it makes an EMP that can shut down entire countries right?
Yes Nukes blown up high in the air/space could damage stuff with EMPs.

Actually I think someone launching one off in the sky would be more efficient then just trying to kill a bunch of people because no electronic communications would make people go nuts. People would terrorize themselves once they can't tweetbook and I don't know about US emp protection, but police/response/etc would probably go down the poophole.

Probably would make a good movie.

Anyway I think the idea of a hard to make bomb that a engineer traitor/gang member/ling/whatever could blow up to disrupt radios, cameras, and computers would probably be a good rampage weapon. You blow it up and then start rampaging when all the radios go down.
Captain_Bravo Wrote:Would it be possible to make EMP bombs act like electronic-only bombs? Like, if you set a low-level EMP off, it would act like it emagged everything in a small area. If you set a big one off, anything close by that's electronic, like computers, borgs, and buddies, would just get blown to smithereens.

This.

Actually, this would give a pretty good reason to bring back the singularity bomb sprite. I miss that hulking monstrosity. Why not have it do this instead?
APARTHEID Wrote:

This.

Actually, this would give a pretty good reason to bring back the singularity bomb sprite. I miss that hulking monstrosity. Why not have it do this instead?

Yes. This would look good as an emp bomb. Once you can pick it up, as like I said in the op, it should be a mechanics tank transfer and not a huge drag around item
I miss traitors having a WMD to blow their crystals on.
(RIP singularity bomb)
There's little to no purpose to setting the engine to 'Fuckall' currently, right? What if, depending on how powered the engine is, the more Fuckall the bomb does?

Unless I'm an idiot and this was suggested and I'm sorry oh god
APARTHEID Wrote:

This.

It was a cool sprite, and that sounds fun. I'll look into it next week.