Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Disposal pipe durability
You can break out of disposal pipes by wiggling a bunch, but (I think, anyway) that durability doesn't restore itself. I don't think there's a way to see how damaged a pipe is or repair it without replacing it entirely.

This is an issue to me mostly when it comes to flusher pipes. When someone gets flushed into a pipe, their immediate reaction is to wiggle in surprise, even if they knew it didn't lead to a death trap. Just that small amount of wiggling is enough to break the pipe every 2 flushes or so, which makes flusher comps a much much less viable option to me over things like teleporters.

Of course, teleport components are balanced by being much more visible. Flushers can be hidden with fluid pools, so I think the existence of flusher pipes being breakable is needed at least. I'd suggest either adding damage states to pipes that you can repair with a solderer, or having pipes naturally restore their durability after not being damaged for a bit.
Maybe graphene hardening compound could increase their durability?
(06-17-2024, 03:46 AM)CalliopeSoups Wrote: You can break out of disposal pipes by wiggling a bunch, but (I think, anyway) that durability doesn't restore itself. I don't think there's a way to see how damaged a pipe is or repair it without replacing it entirely.

This is an issue to me mostly when it comes to flusher pipes. When someone gets flushed into a pipe, their immediate reaction is to wiggle in surprise, even if they knew it didn't lead to a death trap. Just that small amount of wiggling is enough to break the pipe every 2 flushes or so, which makes flusher comps a much much less viable option to me over things like teleporters.

Of course, teleport components are balanced by being much more visible. Flushers can be hidden with fluid pools, so I think the existence of flusher pipes being breakable is needed at least. I'd suggest either adding damage states to pipes that you can repair with a solderer, or having pipes naturally restore their durability after not being damaged for a bit.

It would be an easy and fun mechanic for engineers to use some sort of hardening substance they can flush that fixes pipe damage.
Could even be used on TEG pipes to fix them.

Next up I'd like to add a new mechanic then if this fixing is possible.
"CLOGGING"
Now pipes can clog up too and engineers have to fix it by adding anti clogging substance to flow it through.
If the clogged pipe isn't fixed soon, it pops, when it pops.. It explodes.

Clogs wil be noticed as it would build up stench and miasma if a body is rotting in there.
Also antags can clog pipes if they want to get a bomb to travel down the pipes to the location they want to detonate it.

I do remember an one time bug a pipe did become clogged and an admin had to get us out. Cause these pipes were in an azone and thus unbreakable.

Anyway that's just to add another suggestion on top for silly pipe gameplay.
But 1st we gotta find a way to fix pipes while damaged.
Could take the atmos pipe reinforcement system (which is awesome) and apply it to disposal pipes. Weld on some steel sheets and its much less likely to break. As for making GHC I'm not sure that'd be worth the return on investment honestly when it comes to working with disposal pipes.
(06-17-2024, 08:28 AM)Fuppy Wrote: Could take the atmos pipe reinforcement system (which is awesome) and apply it to disposal pipes. Weld on some steel sheets and its much less likely to break. As for making GHC I'm not sure that'd be worth the return on investment honestly when it comes to working with disposal pipes.

This seems like the most simple thing to put in (It may not be at all, but I'm just going by the logic that we already have pipe reinforcement as a system for the TEG Pipes, as opposed to a completely new system) and just kind of makes sense.

Though I'd argue what we really need to do is flush some pillows down there. Those corner pipes must hurt.