Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Basic tutorials on log-in screen
I have been seeing the pre-game show showing off commands and tips and tricks and I am like: "Why wasn't this a thing before?"

This is why I recommend we change our login screens to include these simple tutorials into the login screens period.

After some basic stuff like "how to change hands" , "how to aim" , "how to change intent" , "how to do certain simple things by pressing a key" would be great to know from the start.

Thank you Kiv for showing off this stuff and to just make me go: "Why haven't we just suggested it?"
The moment someone understands pressing T is to talk insted of ENTER. It would help immensly in helping newbies right away then the tip somewhere saying: "Use Alt+L to do LOOC" and that kinda stuff.
This is something the admin team has discussed several times. And we've made several attempts at it but never got it going. We definitely want to though, it's just hard, tedious work.
Don't forget that there's already a basic tutorial made by zamu on the login screen already
[Image: w6hB3Md.png]

people regularly don't read these and they've been on the title screen / in the in-game chat for literally years at this point.

imo, the whole reason the "pre-game show" works as it does is because it's live; you have a literal person there going "hey, pay attention to this".

tg seems to have an "interactive" (obnoxious) tutorial that i couldn't skip when i tried to play on monke. it happened in game, in the middle of action (full screen overlays trying to get me to use hands, and of course because i did something out of order it bugged out, apparently demanding i use a specific hand for it). i wouldn't recommend something like that.

an in-game tutorial area has been proposed countless times as a place new people could join in, and it could even offer some job-specific items / tips and the like. the problem is that you would have to not only make it (tough enough as it is) but also make it instanced, so that you could have e.g. 5 players going through the tutorial but without bumping into one another or fucking it up

and then you'd have to figure out how to add it into the game proper; does it become an option on the title screen? how do you handle someone going into it / leaving it? etc, etc.
I don't think the bright, colourful, and ON SCREEN tooltips should be ignored as a strong positive factor why people have been enjoying the tutorials alongside absolutely yes, the live show which I won't deny is a huge draw.
But it's a heck of a lot harder to fail to notice a clickable link bottom left over a big beautiful crayon-like illustration of a command front-and-centre on the screen.
(06-12-2024, 11:41 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: [Image: w6hB3Md.png]

people regularly don't read these and they've been on the title screen / in the in-game chat for literally years at this point.

imo, the whole reason the "pre-game show" works as it does is because it's live; you have a literal person there going "hey, pay attention to this".

tg seems to have an "interactive" (obnoxious) tutorial that i couldn't skip when i tried to play on monke. it happened in game, in the middle of action (full screen overlays trying to get me to use hands, and of course because i did something out of order it bugged out, apparently demanding i use a specific hand for it). i wouldn't recommend something like that.

an in-game tutorial area has been proposed countless times as a place new people could join in, and it could even offer some job-specific items / tips and the like. the problem is that you would have to not only make it (tough enough as it is) but also make it instanced, so that you could have e.g. 5 players going through the tutorial but without bumping into one another or fucking it up

and then you'd have to figure out how to add it into the game proper; does it become an option on the title screen? how do you handle someone going into it / leaving it? etc, etc.

Very good concerns let up. But I will say this... 
The tutorials are useful to click on, but most players will not click or it will open a browser they do not use. (I have had edge open a few times via byond and I am like: "USE MY BROWSER OF CHOICE TVYM")
But... the preshow shows large controls on the screen and arrows pointing to the tutorials.

Also people not reading the right side of chat is the most common player problem of this game. I don't know how many people ignore their radio calls or PDA messages.... Cause they aren't reading chat. Unless a player is nearby actually saying stuff... they will notice it. 

I'd say just having basic controls and point to what's needed makes people visually look that way.

Also might I add you put the tutorial and text in the worst locations on the log in screen. Reading rules, if it's important.. put it in the left top corner... if it's not.. right down corner. Wich also adds to the chat being ignored bit. 

I do say the tutorial and quick start guide are well written, but players do not notice them as they are.

I do not say "make a tutorial server", I'd say make the basics stand out more and the tutorial more visually clickable to read it.

Eitherway you guys are doing well, but even when I 1st played I completely missed the tutorial section cause the 1st visual button i see is "Charater select" and after that it's "The ready button"
Even changing that menu to add "Guides/Tutorials" button will help a lot.