Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Reduce FoV penalty from missing one eye
Currently, if you're missing an eye or have one covered by an eyepatch either the left half or right half of your screen goes black, depending on which eye you're missing.  Now, I could suggest that the half of the screen that goes black depends on which direction you're facing, but that seems like a gigantic pain in the ass for someone to code so that's not what I'm going to do here.

Now, close one eye.  Did you lose 50% of your field of vision?  No, you did not.  I'd eyeball it at around 30%, and thus I propose that 30% of your screen goes black if you're missing/covering one eye.  This makes losing an eye less crippling, yes, but all things considered losing a single eye isn't that big of a deal!  As an added bonus it lets you do the grizzled old captain with one eye nautical theme without completely crippling your ability to fight.  Eyepatches are stylish!

Inspired by the horrible migraine I currently have and holy hell I need an eyepatch in real life my eyelid is not cutting it.
Technicall you go from 16:9 to 4:3.

But that won't work so 30% loss is fine.
I'd prefer if it jusr gave us a very large version of welding visors. I say this as possibly the person with the most hours being one eyed. Instead of just blottong out a side of the screen id rather it just reduce overall vision range.

That said, being one eyed is generally a choice or a very very brief inconvience, im fine with it being goofy
the thing that bugs me about it is that the entire field is gone on one side of the screen. not changing based on which way your facing. so situations come up where youre looking straight ahead and all you see is THE VOID. if youre walking left or right then you can be completely blind to what youre walking towards. missing an eye does mechanically need to be redone
I still half wish it gave 50 percent flash resistance because its funny
changing the position the overlay is based on the direction you're facing sounds like a good idea until you start tapping IJKL or, say, get flashbanged and have disoriented movement, and give yourself a seizure from rapidly flashing half the screen black
I'd suggest changing the overlay for one missing eye to become blurrier and darker further to the left/right, so that some of the area that is currently blacked out completely is blurry instead.
(06-01-2024, 02:46 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: changing the position the overlay is based on the direction you're facing sounds like a good idea until you start tapping IJKL or, say, get flashbanged and have disoriented movement, and give yourself a seizure from rapidly flashing half the screen black

oh jesus I didn't even think of that
(06-01-2024, 02:46 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: changing the position the overlay is based on the direction you're facing sounds like a good idea until you start tapping IJKL or, say, get flashbanged and have disoriented movement, and give yourself a seizure from rapidly flashing half the screen black

Make it not update when flash banged then, or have the flash take priority over the black overlay
i don't quite think you understand what i'm talking about. if you make the overlay move, then alternating between facing down and up would alternate between making the left and right side of your screen wholly black.

a flashbang or other disorient would mean that you're now forced to experience this constantly if you try to move, which is not really ideal

when you start getting into "just make it not happen if [x]" then chances are you're getting deep into 'too much work for something that doesn't really add anything to the game'