Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
[CLOSED PR] Adds Chemical Accidents to those without relevant training
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[INPUT WANTED] [FEATURE] [CONTROVERSIAL] [SCIENCE]
About the PR
This PR adds chemical accidents to those lacking science, medical or bartender training. This currently adds accidents to the dispenser, allowing those unqualified to accidentally cause part of the beaker's contents to spill onto them, as well as the heater very rarely exploding the glass due to temperature difference. Input is wanted on more devices for these to be added to. Also lets borgs see arthints cause sci module exists.

Why's this needed?
This is intended to increase demand for chemicals to the relevant jobs, and to reduce powergaming of this system. While a reductive system, it should be near inconsequential to have beaker contents spilled unless if your making a hell/death/vetoyourexistence mix. The only major concern I see is that problematic rampages are usually stopped by either armoury equipment or deathmixes once sec is dead, and this removes one of those options to alot of people, and armoury is usually supporting the opposition in these scenarios.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Cheekybrdy
(*)Trying to use chemical equipment as a unqualified individual can result in accidents now. It may be best to ask a professional to make what you need now.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Not a fan, tying little bonuses like artifact hints or construction speed to job training is okay but making an entire mechanic worse or dangerous to use based on invisible traits feels very bad. Not to mention job transfers etc.
I like this idea make scientists has important role in chemical work.which is very make sense however I prefer science training has more abit advance in chemical than medicine.like allow medicine to has chance abit to leak it when in normal beaker (but low chance) but in bottle is no leak. That will make good scenario like doctor accident spit cryoxadone and need to beg scientist to make it or they try to refill their epi reverse tank and accident spit it. This will make chance of supply of medicine will be need more supply suddenly and I pretty sure will lead to chemical request more.
Don't like this at all. Tying the ability to do something like chemistry without mistakes (and the mistakes you've added would make it incredibly frustrating, spilling just a little of your mix can mean throwing off the ratios for everything further, assuming it doesn't horribly injure you) to which job you picked at round start doesn't have a place in a game like this where situations are often unpredictable, you said yourself "unqualified" individuals doing chemistry is often a last line of defense against rampaging antags.

If your heart is absolutely set on making scientist training interact with chemistry, use the carrot instead of the stick and have it give bonus yield or something (but even that would be awkward with how often chemistry involves working around exactly how much space you have left in a container). This feels more like something you'd add to clown training, not to everyone but 3 roles.
(05-27-2024, 05:43 PM)babywrangler85 Wrote: Don't like this at all. Tying the ability to do something like chemistry without mistakes (and the mistakes you've added would make it incredibly frustrating, spilling just a little of your mix can mean throwing off the ratios for everything further, assuming it doesn't horribly injure you) to which job you picked at round start doesn't have a place in a game like this where situations are often unpredictable, you said yourself "unqualified" individuals doing chemistry is often a last line of defense against rampaging antags.

If your heart is absolutely set on making scientist training interact with chemistry, use the carrot instead of the stick and have it give bonus yield or something (but even that would be awkward with how often chemistry involves working around exactly how much space you have left in a container). This feels more like something you'd add to clown training, not to everyone but 3 roles.

Currently these accidents only effect those without the training, which is different from surgery which this is meant to be based off, creating risk for interacting with a system that probably should either have equal or greater risk to a surgery. The problem I saw when I considered bonus yield myself is potentially overreacting to a random amount could cause a unintended effect as a "reward" beyond their control. Right now people need disincentive from doing chems themselves as opposed to incentivising those already there from doing what they're there for. In regards to your piece on unqualified individuals making deathmixes to stop rampagers, science/bar isn't usually preemptively purged, there's 3 seperate trainings which can use chems safely in this, and chem alone if anything shouldn't solely be the "armoury is looted and we need to kill a antag".

(05-27-2024, 04:54 PM)LeahTheTech Wrote: Not a fan, tying little bonuses like artifact hints or construction speed to job training is okay but making an entire mechanic worse or dangerous to use based on invisible traits feels very bad. Not to mention job transfers etc.

What'd people's thoughts be on a single use item that gave a department's training in their head locker though?