Mentor Application: Glamurio // Amy / Ava Ward
Usual character name: Ava / Amy Ward, Emily Larson, Yuki Takahashi
BYOND username: Glamurio
Discord username (if you are on our discord): glamurio
Recommended by (if applicable): 444explorer
Goon servers you play: 3 primarily, seldom 1

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):
The reason I'm applying couldn't be more simpler. I love this game, I love every aspect of it, from it's goofy nature to the in-depth mechanics. And what I love more than anything is introducing new people to the magic of this game. There's nothing quite like living vicariously through the eyes of someone who's seeing something for the first time (save for experiencing it yourself, of course), and as a result, I often find myself actively seeking out chances or opportunities to teach people about this game. Anytime a rookie asks me about a job because they're new, I can't help but get excited about it and look forward to teaching them all the nitty gritty details.

I've started playing in early 2022, I'd like to say. Since then I've played every job that was available to me and have found enjoyment in most aspects of every department, from Civilian to Security. If there's any knowledge gaps I have, they'd be likely in departments such as Science and Botany. I've not done nearly as much TeleSci shenanigans, and my chem nerd knowledge is limited, and I just simply haven't played as much Botany (though I'm doing this more as we speak), but save for that I'd confidently say I know about all other departments.

Security is naturally where I've gathered most experience, since it's my most played job. What makes Security appealing is also that it's one of the few jobs that actively lets people sign up as an Assistant pre-game. As a result, you typically get more obvious rookies in here that you can go out of your way to approach and ask if they need any help. These days, I do less of that in Security, ever since I became HoS I try to let others have a chance to teach a rookie to get some brownie points, but if nobody else is around I'll gladly leap at the chance myself.

Engineering is likely the department I have the second-most experience in. I find it really satisfying and it's also a department that sees a lot of influx of rookies that are wanting help, and as such in most rounds I find myself either explaining an engine setup or some basic mechlab to someone wanting to learn more of it. This happens particularly often on Oshan, as there's not many people that have delved into the nitty gritty of the underwater mechanics, be it mining in the trenches or pinning hotspots on the station.

Medbay is another beloved department of mine, it's similar in structure to Security where you'll have periods of quiet where you can enjoy bonding with co-workers and then rapid emergencies where every second counts. That former quiet is a great time to be teaching people the ins and outs of the job, from explaining the kind of medicine doctors should have on hand or even handholding someone through their first monkey surgery.

I've mentioned Science earlier as a department in which I'm lacking, but that doesn't mean I don't know aspects of it, and those I'll happily teach. My love in Science lies with the artlab, and the myriad ways of testing artifacts, and the kinds you should expect (as well as the kinds you should quickly toss before they blow up the station). Navigating artlab can be a bit awkward for beginners, dealing with the computer and remembering commands, or god forbid having to reset the mainframe isn't something that comes easy to a lot of people, but that's why I like to help out where I can.

Last but not least I'd like to shoutout the civilian department. This is honestly one of those departments where you get the highest variance in skill, as this is where a lot of newbees start their journey into the game (such as I myself did). These departments don't necessarily need a lot of explaining or coordination typically, and arguably Botany and Custodial is where you'll see the most team-work, but as this is a department of a lot of extremely new players, you will rather find yourself having to explain some of the true basics of the game, how to switch intent, how to pull or examine things, and so forth. It's always a joy.

While this may not necessarily be relevant, helping people is also part of why I like to develop for Goonstation. I try to implement new and exciting ideas, and more often than not end up submitting PRs that will silently make the game better even if they don't show up in the changelogs. Because at the end of the day, if the game is better and more people play it, that's honestly it's own reward. And there's a certain kind of feeling to seeing players interact with your additions and have a fun time.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for teaching, whether I'm mentor or not. The only reason I'm really applying is to simplify that process and get even more opportunities to do so. Thanks for reading if you did, and thanks for considering to read if you didn't!

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): Nope!
As for why I recommend Glamurio, I've seen them fairly active in the questions channel and I've caught you teaching a few people Engineering too, which is great! You've also shown a willingness to learn, I've taught you a fair bit on packets and I'm glad to see someone willing to teach themselves to give others that knowledge. Glamurio has also contributed to the game in a fair few ways on the github, which I think is much appreciated. +1.
I’m not mainly in goon3 but pretty sure see this name in GitHub and Question discord discussion forum (basically I see this name everywhere) in this period we have many new player coming.we need more mentor to help them.if other mentor recommend you here. I’m pretty sure you will be good mentor +1.
After review of community feedback and internal deliberation, we have accepted your application to become a mentor. Congrats! Please familiarize yourself with our Mentor Guidelines and reach out anytime if you have any concerns or questions.