Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make Mail Courier an everyday job.
Currently, Mail Courier is a latejoin/daily job with 2 slots, only available to play on Wednesdays. I believe it should be available every day of the week! (While being reduced to only one slot.) Either by making it simply another job you could put in your preferences and roll at round-start (which could open up opportunities for adding some unique traitor gear for the job that isn't just.. the suit it spawns with already), or by making it something like mime, where it's playable any given day but remains latejoin only.

Courier, in my opinion, is pretty damn fun. Delivering mail gives you something to keep you busy enough all round, while still leaving time for other interaction/roleplay. It's also seemingly a very newbee friendly job, as it has a clear goal that encourages moving around the station quite a bit, allowing for learning map layouts, while also not having much expected of it.

I don't really see much of a reason for it being restricted to a single day of the week, and it seems like it'd fit in nicely as a permanent presence on the station!

(I'll probably edit this soon with some more actual reasoning when I can articulate my thoughts better! Alas.)
Provided it gets a couple tweaks to it's radio/access levels, I think this would be a really neat change. QMs frequently end up leaving mail to pile up or don't want to bother using the mail chute and just leave it in the cargo foyer, but mail couriers would be a pretty good way to alleviate this.
Considering we now got mail objectives as the QM....
If there‘s mail every day, there should be couriers every day, too. As Kateaclysm mentioned, some thing would have to be tweaked, but it‘s a good idea.
QM didnt need to sort mail anymore yahoo!
Right. Yeah. I chose to not really touch on the whole command radio/bridge access thing here, mostly because there's another thread up discussing that specifically, but I do agree that it needs to be tweaked.

About Kotlol's reply, not sure I see your point there. Objectives are a pretty arbitrary thing (that most people tend to ignore anyways) and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to simply give those mail objectives to courier instead. As others have said, mail usually ends up being nothing but an afterthought for QMs.
my opinions:

- mail courier should be a daily job with 1 slot, down from 2 currently
- access should be department lobbies only and other low-risk areas; they have mail chutes for other stuff if they want
- headset should be cargo / civ / command only maybe? they are a Postmaster™. command i'm not set on.

otherwise i agree, i think it's mostly just been a case of WYCI
I 100% agree with ^^. Might be worth deciding on more content for mail courier if it happens, but I think that happens if it becomes a job people can become more familiar with day-to-day. Allows the designation of logistic responsibilities station-wide to a role, too, which I like.
I’d agree that it being available every day would be a nice idea, provided the required tweaks to access/their headset got done. Being a late join job could possibly be best for it so it is similar to the other late join role that can use mailchutes as discount all access(test subject.)
As a mail courier enjoyer, I 100% support this.
eh, i'd be fine with making it a roundstart job, especially since apparently there are crew objectives that they can have for delivering mail.

i'll look into this later if nobody else does it first
It's hard to see mail be opened unless it is hand delivered by someone. Sometimes cargo doesn't even brother sending it out through the mail chutes as they're occupied with requisitions or handling orders.
Mail Courier is a great solution, as it's both very RP enabling, and a newbee friendly job that gets people to open mail again. It gives a mechanical reason to interact with people and learning most of a station's layout. I do agree that bridge access should be removed, though command radio should be kept. If the Mail Courier jumpsuit allowing travel though any mail-chutes becomes an issue, it can become uplink only.

Otherwise I'd love to see the role implemented as a round start one. It fits perfectly as an RP and beginner friendly occupation.
100% support this idea. Further, something that's sat in the back of my head since day 1 of the introduction of mail is: Where's the letters? Imagine opening up your mail and alongside gifts from whoever you RP them coming from, parents, replacement orders of equipment, or just your new GPS from GPS weekly. Imagine, for example: I've staggered this list of things from "Least impactful to any kind of balance to probably pushing it but I want to demonstrate how this idea both would make mail and mail couriers a welcome sight in any department lobby"

- Spam letter from discount dan, or some wizard fed joke about one of them being owl-mailed to join ersatz hogwarts or an arguement about spell applications for inflammable monkeys. Space weather forecasts, Zoldorf-by-mail fortunes, an expired/dubious cupon for a free QM order the QM can laugh at you/indulge when you try and redeem it.

-Free golden ticket/lottery entry ticket. You want people to engage more with this, the rare chance of a lottery ticket that could win both I argue raises your engagement with mail (for a potential enjoyable benefit, rather than something neutral or negative) with other features on the station that people can sometimes sleep on or not even be hugely aware of, a little blurb about them written up as promotional.

- A letter from "Mystic Meg" who has divined the last thing said by a dead person on station, or their last words, or the random pin of a random PDA (probably not of *whom* though I'd argue the mind-reading gene demonstrates this does not suddenly cause mass theft) or a safe. Hangar/pod codes.

- Gossip weekly, find out about the syndicate intelligence of one of our crew today without being a crimer! (Engaging with that character's RP potentially and maybe encouraging people to also write them with this in mind)

- A particularly liked former station inspector's report, or short story from our story sections on here or discussed on discord. Hell, even former artworks put up at CENTCOM.

I appreciate putting in the effort to make the mail system on then on top of the writing effort then having the idea not work out wouldn't have been sensible. Now, however, we seem to be genuinely considering the value of mail enough to justify discussing giving couriers a spot on the roster more permanently so on top of saying "I agree" want to put forth at this time I would love to see the concept also expanded. Given we have various people who like to write here who are actually competent unlike myself contributing to such an effort could be spread out and even a fun experience for those interested. I'd enjoy seeing what people come up with when I open up my mail and see there's a letter.
I would be okay with this idea if mail courrier has their command access removed (but they get general access instead) so player don't mistake it as "command-lite".
(05-18-2024, 01:21 AM)Lefinch Wrote: [Lots of good ideas]

Big fan of these ideas. They sound like improved versions of the emails that everyone gets at roundstart.