Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Cogmap 1's singularity engine
I've been thinking about making a PR to remove it, so that only the nuclear and TEG engines can spawn.

Has anyone got strong opinions either way?
I'd definitely be for this. It's painful anytime I roll a singulo because it just means that I'm gonna start the engine and not mess with it, since a bigulo is much much more impractical. that and the layout is just really not suited for one, having to move the lockers to some awkward spot is a pain. The placement of the engineering suits/magboots on cog1 also doesn't do the setup any favors, as you have to cross the entire room to get it (talking about while the engine is on). One could say the same about donut 3, but you can get these things much easier since there's a door right next to where they're at. For cog1 it's either walk through the engine room entirely, or go through space... to get a spacesuit.

All in all, I would have zero issue seeing the singulo out of the cog1 lineup.
Some stations are just NOT designed for the singularity engine. Cog 1 is one of em.
I would support this change. The cog1 singularity has a lot of the problems the one on Manta had, mostly a lack of space and being put way too close to certain sensitive equipment. Overall, the possibility of getting a singularity generator on cog1 makes me less excited to play engineer on that map.

I might even say that the random engine type overall has been a net negative for the map. Not knowing what to expect before I join the game makes it harder for me to want to pick engineer.
While I love the idea of a randomized engine, In practice I feel like the way it is implemented right now has contributed to a lot of confusion and frustration, and doesn't really add anything to the game itself. It's reason for existing has diminished a lot given the fact that cog 1 is picked just about as much as any other map at present (in my experience). The singularity is extremely specialized and the fact that it was able to be implemented in a feature like this is really impressive, but it outlines the many flaws the random engine system has at present and I think it's a good candidate for removal, at least until (or even IF) cog's entire engineering department can be altered per engine chosen.
I not sure about that idea even most people want to remove it.i understand that singular in cogs might not suitable for the station due to space and stuff.but engineer has many thing to work on other than engine.in my opinion who just regular person who can just know only basic of engine feel like it fine to have singular in there so I can focus on other think.
I feel like cog 1 singularity engine is fine.

Tbh, too many engines are designed too safe, like most TEG setups having absolutely excessive heat shielding and most singularities being very far away from important infrastructure.

Cog 1 singularity engine, like nadir's nuclear reactor or oshans hotspots, don't have that safety by distance. And i feel like this is how we should make engines going forward.

The difficulty about cog1 engine is the space, which is limited. That makes the singularity engine mistly about how to feed it properly on confined space. It's a certain kind of challenge, which of course does not suit everyone, but that's ok.
(05-01-2024, 11:00 PM)meaow589 Wrote: I not sure about that idea even most people want to remove it.i understand that singular in cogs might not suitable for the station due to space and stuff.but engineer has many thing to work on other than engine.in my opinion who just regular person who can just know only basic of engine feel like it fine to have singular in there so I can focus on other think.
Most engines you can set up and pretty much just leave if you wanna do other things. I can't comment on the nuclear engine too much as I'm not that experienced with it, but even then you can come back and checkup on it to make sure the turbine is okay if you're just doing a basic setup with the rods. If I wanna do mechlab stuff or build some little project and I have a TEG or something, I can set up the char burners and pretty much just leave it. it's more about there being options when it comes to the engine *if* you wanna mess with it. If you don't wanna mess with it, that's okay of course. But having options is nice, and cog1 is pretty much lacking in those options... hell last time I built more collectors with someone we ended up hotwiring, and it was a pretty standard setup we did.
(05-01-2024, 11:37 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: I feel like cog 1 singularity engine is fine.

Tbh, too many engines are designed too safe, like most TEG setups having absolutely excessive heat shielding and most singularities being very far away from important infrastructure.

Cog 1 singularity engine, like nadir's nuclear reactor or oshans hotspots, don't have that safety by distance. And i feel like this is how we should make engines going forward.

The difficulty about cog1 engine is the space, which is limited. That makes the singularity engine mistly about how to feed it properly on confined space. It's a certain kind of challenge, which of course does not suit everyone, but that's ok.

I don't necessarily have an issue with the engine being dangerous, part of me kind of misses the days of Kondaru not having the airbridges. The space issue you mentioned is definitely the biggest one, but there are other issues that arise from the lack of space. like the main area where you check power stats and such (along with the coffee maker which is arguably more important) being constantly irradiated. Most CE's will just bust out the RCD and go "fuck it" and wall off the two doors there. I wanna add that I don't mind this inherently, on Donut 3 the entrance can get hit with rads as well... if you're doing a bigulo. The standard setup for a singulo shouldn't irradiate an area that isn't the engine room so consistently.  This is just one issue that comes from the lack of space. I personally don't really like the engine switching feature at all, but I'd definitely be more on board if the space issue was solved since it causes many other headaches. All headaches that come from the standard setup.