Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
goodbye goon, it was fun while it lasted
i have been permanently banned and i accept it and won't appeal it, it was fun playing with everyone and i really enjoyed all the antics, madorx bunsleton will be no more, and that's fine, leah, zamujasa, sord, and alyas we're the best admins in my opinion and made it really fun, rufus mcdunfish, kaz lyndon, bobby bartholomew, tony lazuto, and guy mundane were my favorite players and brought positive energy to the server whenever i saw them, may you guys all continue having fun in goon ss13, don't let classic die like g2 did if you can, classic is the soul of ss13 and while rp can be amazing, it will never be the same, goodbye forever love madorx bunsleton ~ squimbleton queen greater domestic space-bee
Uh. Okay. Bye.
i didn't realize until a bit ago what all of this was about; as a short refresher, apparently they tried holding goon1 hostage by denying the shuttle for several hours, as some kind of ... protest???

[Image: sw6ShPj.png]

i just don't get it. as a self-described goon 2 regular, you had to know what kind of behaviors led to goon 2 eventually getting shut down. i'm not sure why you would go "similar behaviors are developing here" and then do exactly the same things.

i am genuinely not sure what you were expecting to have happen out of doing this, but whatever it was, it wasn't smart.
>acts in the exact way that got goon2 axed
>gets banned for it
>cries about "don't let classic die like g2 did if you can"

lol lmao
I don't see how G1 is dieing... it has still more people combined then G3-G4. Most of the time.

So this guy "somehow" broke every rule and held a server hostage and got banned cause he was protesting.. the demise of G1?
I don't even see how it was dieing... I mean G2 was a knit community sure, but like a badly run private server of big MMO's.
So power abuse, rule breaking, austrizing and more. The only thing it didn't had was admins abusing their power....

So I guess if G1 isn't dieing in numbers but in ending Clique behaviour and being more inclusive to outsiders and less outside metaing.
Then I welcome it's death big grin So it can be reborn to be better.
(04-18-2024, 12:13 PM)Kotlol Wrote: I don't see how G1 is dieing... it has still more people combined then G3-G4. Most of the time.

Not true, Goon3 has consistently been the highest pop server for months. Lower pop I would really doubt causes a server to be brought offline (Look at Goon4 having little to no players for majority of the day in the UK for example). All I had to say.
{rough draft, a long run on sentence, reformed by chatgpt to be more tolerable and understandable}[cringe i know right, but it works](even then i still had to go in and edit some points)

I was very sleep deprived when I made the decision, but I acted based on a concern that's been echoed by many: "Goon1 is dying." Reflecting on my days playing on G2, where high population was 80-120 players and low was 40, I noticed a stark decline; now, high population is barely 40 on a good day. My rationale was to spark a realization among the community. I thought that if I demonstrated a 500-minute round to the Gooncord, it might encourage others to invite more players, potentially addressing the issue of low population even at peak times and the rampant (AA) use, which could be mitigated by adopting strategies from TG.

AA has become troublingly accessible. I've earned the nickname "Madorx always gets AA Bunsleton" due to the ease with which I can persuade an HoP, Captain, antagonist, or even the clown to grant me AA instantly. This ease of access doesn't raise any alarms, as players seldom ask for admin help unless issues become extreme.

This incident was meant to highlight core issues: the triviality of obtaining AA and the lack of concern about it, the common practice of breaking into doors without repercussions unless it involves the security department, and the ineffectiveness of safeguards like insulating gloves, which do little to prevent theft from the Mechlab or unauthorized access to various areas.

I hoped this event, whether viewed positively or negatively, would draw attention to these concerns. I did votes during my long shift to ensure no one was forced into the long shift unwillingly, ensuring that players could opt out if they wished, everyone had aa but no one wanted to go to captains quarters and call, or to go to mining outpost and call using commaster disk. While I appreciate the ID chip system in TG, which restricts AA access and promotes cooperation, Goon has lost this specialization. It has become too easy for any staffie to dominate the station with minimal equipment.

I'm not advocating for a complete overhaul of Goon's direction but for proactive changes. While some may resist, adjustments like a chip system or harsher penalties for unauthorized access could enhance the game's challenge, preventing individuals from easily exploiting the station's resources.

Despite my love for Goonstation and its community, it's disheartening to see G1 follow the same troubling trends I observed in G2. Recently, more players have started to recognize these issues as the server's vitality wanes. I've always engaged actively in the game, even planning to apply for a mentor role to share my knowledge with new players, enriching their experience and motivation.

This isn't an appeal to lift my ban but a call for deeper discussions among players and admins about Goon's future and potential reforms. Inspired by other gaming communities, I believe we can enact significant changes to preserve the essence of Goonstation. My actions were driven by a desire for improvement, not disruption, and I hope this clarifies my intentions to the community I hold dear. i know everyone has a life and changes cant be brought about like the snap of a finger or do i expect them to, but i've seen such great things done before and i believe in the potential of the players and admins, this is still goodbye as i am by my own admission a boon and leech to the server, no better than the worst scum that have come before. and i deserve my ban fully, but i hope with my actions i have brought awareness to the issues more better.
(04-18-2024, 12:59 PM)squimbleton Wrote: AA has become troublingly accessible. I've earned the nickname "Madorx always gets AA Bunsleton" due to the ease with which I can persuade an HoP, Captain, antagonist, or even the clown to grant me AA instantly.

Idk man, you could just not go ask for AA all the time.

Goon 2 behavior at its finest.
Ya broke the rules, you got banned. Population comes and goes in waves, and although it‘s been nearly two years since the last 1000 (unique daily) player spike, there will always be new players wanting to play classic. Your stunt didn‘t do anything to better the situation, and it‘s a shame to see a dedicated player go like that.
Yeah we are not unbanning you any time soon and I'm not reading that more than once because I'm not happy with you. 

The solution to these is to ahelp, we are adults with jobs, responsibilities, and families and cannot watch the server 24/7. Thanks.
(04-18-2024, 12:59 PM)squimbleton Wrote: I'm not advocating for a complete overhaul of Goon's direction but for proactive changes. While some may resist, adjustments like a chip system or harsher penalties for unauthorized access could enhance the game's challenge, preventing individuals from easily exploiting the station's resources.

Simply put, i would rather see people which show this behaviour get banned than in any way try to code to accomodate it.

This is a story-generating sandbox game. And if people disregard this and play this like a competitive moba, they simply show that don't get it. Even worse, they are actively optimizing the fun out of the game for them and for the other players. It's no fun for other players and not fun to try to balance around this.

We both agree that this game would be required to be balanced and secured by mechanics differently IF powergaming shitheads would be a proper balancing standard. But this would overall create a game most players would simply not enjoy. This game can exist as the sandbox it does because most people show a basic amount of restrain and don't try to ruin the game for them over everyone else.

Imo, if you try to run features into the ground to try to hold people at gunpoint to change the game, the only thing to expect is a ban.
Pretty much what Lord_earthfire says.

We keep the mechanics open and exploitable cause... it can make fun rounds.
Think of the most legendary events in other MMO's such as WoW.

The blood plague, the invasion of Stormwind with the world boss.
All unintended things, but hilariously fun that the devs recreate them.

That's what this game is. But exploit it and admins will ban you, it only gets patched out if it either: "Goes against the spirit of the game." or "Gets exploited every round regardless of bans, warnings and such in a horrendous way." That last one is what happened to goon 2 and also the ghost drone RCD.

The fun of the game ain't "Winning" the fun of the game is how ridiclous the round gets.
You have more fun in the game if the "antagonist" kills you with his elobrate plot of making you run on a treadmill forever towards a crusher, but will shock you to lower your stamina damage. It's stupidly complex but if you die and resist or try to find a way out it's fun and exicting.

But if both sides just "play to win" ...Then you get Security metaing, every department metaing, every antagonist going off station to prepare to avoid being caught.
Every traitor using a meta trick to find eachother wich security will try to exploit and such. It doesn't become fun.

It's why if I get commanding roles, I try to do silly things to include a lot of others but also give their ideas a shot.
As HoP, sometimes I am fine with the clown becoming: "head of comedy" and getting AA. But sometimes I am strict and demand paperwork and good communication.

That's the true fun of the game. You aren't there to "kill the bad guy" or "kill everyone as the bad guy."
You are there to play a "bad guy" who is "allowed" to kill everyone how they like, but they can also do other things like... get everyone so addicted to drugs and overthrow the command who tries to control it like some drug war.
That's the fun of the game.

If you don't get that.. sorry to say.. but then you should find a different server who placates that play style.
(04-18-2024, 01:46 PM)Shiiba Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 12:59 PM)squimbleton Wrote: AA has become troublingly accessible. I've earned the nickname "Madorx always gets AA Bunsleton" due to the ease with which I can persuade an HoP, Captain, antagonist, or even the clown to grant me AA instantly.

Idk man, you could just not go ask for AA all the time.

Goon 2 behavior at its finest.

this is what gets me.

we had someone show up for a discussion about their powergamer habits, and it's the same thing: every round, they do get all their nerd gear to be turboprepped for any antag or bad event. and they could just as easily not do it.

"it's bad that the hop gives out aa every time", being said by someone who is so known for begging for AA that you got a nickname out of it, should have been a wake up call that maybe the problem is people like you. maybe the problem isn't just the hop giving it out, but all the people asking for it round after round, too, normalizing it.

people have a hard time understanding that some of their actions can and do make the game worse. this is a game where losing is part of the design. you aren't supposed to "win". you aren't supposed to be the hero every time. you're part of an ongoing clusterfuck, and being unprepared for things is part of the game.
there isnt really anything ANY online game can actively do to bring their playercount back to the covid era. goon 1s growing some bad habits but its not whats "killing" the server. if you actually wanna increase the pop again then go bother a popular youtuber or something to make a big ss13/goonstation video or stream. alternately become a dev for the server so theres actually more content flowing in to keep people playing
thanks for helping me realize how im part of the problem, this has all been very constructive criticism, ill apply this to future games and forget, have a good time everyone and keep on being an amazing community, make an example out of me if it helps the community, ill be done with reading replies on this post as even though it's good for me the whole situation has taken a massive toll on my mental health, love you guys, sorry for everything, i don't expect forgiveness but i hope you guys know my intentions weren't bad. don't go after the followers of madorxia for my behavior, they follow the rules and act way better than me, don't punish them for my actions. goodbye.