Edwardo Pedro-Gonzales Hos application.
Usual character name:Edwardo Pedro- Gonzales (current clone number 43)
BYOND username:erikkainn
Discord username (if you are on our discord): 
Recommended by (if applicable): no real recommendations but more of just a few people saying " the worst cent can say is no."
Goon servers you play: Server number 3 Morty

Reason for application: I am a security department "main". I feel While I cannot replace any of the hos I have worked with, I feel like I can help when there is a lack of leadership and be a stable force for the good of the station and team.

Security experience (300 word minimum): I have been playing sec since I started almost a year ago now. I have learned a lot over the past year... And while I have branched out into different departments none has the same feel of teamwork and closeness as security does, which is what has brought me to "main" it. I try my best to be competent and a team player to protect the lives of the other crew and ensure they are safe. When I am sec and the team is unsupervised by hos or Nt, I try to give advice and focus us on a goal. Trying to take inspiration and follow the example of Alex and Otto who were the two Hos's I can say that have trained me over the year (or just been the ones I've worked under the most). I won't lie and say I've been a model sec officer, I have indeed been shitsec at times and am prone to mistakes like anyone else. But I think I have really come along over the long year and become an officer that most security can point at and go "ya he's alright".  I still feel I have things to learn as does everyone, because everything should be a learning experience and a chance to grow. When it comes to my job on the sec team I find myself usually detective or thinking in a detective mindset. In other words, I observe try to gather evidence, communicate with the team and refer to my hunches as paranoia and overthink scenarios. As i mentioned before I find that sec is more of a team then any other department on the station and that we have to have each other's back. It is my hope that my fellow officers see me as someone they can rely on.  Remember the most important advice for sec at sec start is.. Greet your team, say a one liner.. Then remind everyone to get a clone scan and keep in touch.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?:  The basic advice i would give sec members is, Get a clone scan, stay in touch. Lable your stuff and warnings first.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one): Ok so this one is a small story... Ranni had held the bridge hostage after securing a gun and the cap as hostage as well... The doors were bolted and Ranni had the power... But I had access to teleporter so i teleported in... Had the big monologue, played the ruse of sure I'm on your side Ranni, ok ill execute a hostage... Then blam! turn around and gun them down instead... No civilian casualties and the day saved. This stands out to me as the most memorable story because i used my wits, I thought quick and it's the first time i can think of as sec, i managed to save the day.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?: Ok this ones a bit biased. But a thing i think would benefit sec players... Is for the detective to be able to tell from a glance what ammo is in their gun. So like a physical change to the gun when either stuns or lethal are loaded.  I have had a number of accidents where i shot what i thought was a stun and it was a lethal. Either from grabbing ammo so fast during a fight or chase or from forgetting i had it loaded for a lethal fight (like against a ling or something)  and forgetting to replace it when going to deal with someone who's just being an annoyance and breaking into things.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.. I play a lot more careful. I try to ask the captain or the ai to help keep an eye out so i can respond to situations faster.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • ]Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13. Youre a syndie in Red. I put on the Nt Blue. I am edwardo. Now who the hell are you?
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run? : Ive done a shift of mime cop... That was fun if not a bit frustrating to others. Ive wanted to run a medieval/western themed sec team... Like have us dressed as cowboys or knights.. Ive done the cowboy thing as detective a few times. 
  • Draw a picture!: I cant draw.. but have a gunpla i made. if i could figure out how to uplaod it..
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): I have had two bans... One for mag dumping as traitor detective... (Killed a staffie was hiding in during a flooded ochean round.. Wanted to add to the body count i had ranni commit as the trickster persona from mindhack.. but i didnt play it out i just executed.) And the second time for gang leader detective... I threw a rival gang member out of an airlock after stunning and handcuffing them.
I'm afraid that this is one of those rare times when I'll drop a hard -1 very early, in this case due to powergaming concerns.

The main concern I have is the way you interact with suspects, always ready to shoot them, sometimes skipping RP in order to bring them down quickly and not give them a chance to fight, due to, as you say it yourself, "being paranoid that they'll pull a gun on you, so you shoot them before they even get the chance to".

Another thing is that you have a tendency to really "upgrade" your kit with whatever you can find, be it genetics, robotics or mining gear, somewhat early on in the round and with very little concern on how this affects antagonists, and sometimes ingoring orders from command to keep your toys.
An example of this would be a round, yesterday, where mining was distributing mechboots and armour to everyone. You took it to combat a fire, then a good few minutes after the fire was over, the HoS noticed you still walking around with it and asked you to put it back, which you agreed to. Half an hour later, I, the NTSC, notice you still running around with mechboots, and tell you to stop using them, with the HoS backing me up and warning you that the next time they see you mech boots, they'll fire you. Another half an hour later, at the shuttle, I still see you running around with mechboots.

In conclusion, I would just seriously recommend you really, really tone down both your need for additionnal gear and your hostility/"paranoia" when interacting with antags while playing security, and begin letting a chance for antags to escalate in stand offs and the such.
I echo what Chataus has described. You are very quick to 'win' or 'beat the bad guys'. I've seen this fairly often. I also have concerns of how you treat characters you know or often play with, at least I believe I have noticed you treat my character in ways I do not see else where when it comes to punishments, often slowing doing with the quick to win mentality and instead trying to cut some deal with my characters. -1.
erikkainn understands the basic fundamentals of the game, as well as combat, normal procedures, chain of command and the common ideals of basic rp space. They are, at a technical level, competent and have a base of knowledge I would consider more then adequate.

I feel that erikkainn should work on communication, the HoS is a facilitator role and their pressence on the field is often less important then their ability to adequately and quickly communicate, divide their attention, and make snap but fair judgements moment to moment.

A further look and working on the issue of interaction with crew and antagonists would do well to assist you in this goal. The goal of security is not to beat the antagonist. The goal of security is to provide opposition to the antagonists. We aren't there to win, we're there to play the job of security. To respond with adequate response to things.

In the future I would recommend learning to temper your reactions to be reactionary rather than provocative. Take threats seriously. Take crime seriously. But a thin vaneer of willfull obstinance and ignorance goes a long way for allowing an antag a chance to stand up and get ready to do their bit. Antags are not 'owed a win', but the least we can, as security, do is give antags a chance. Don't pre-prep for the bad guys, instead, try to prepare in REACTION to the antags. Additional gear and items can be gathered or used when warented if there is difficulty. Cool plans are awesome.

Keep trying, work hard, and we'll see you grow I am more then sure. I have full confidence that you have the capacity for all the things I and the others have said to be taken to heart, incorporated, and your own play to change, and ideally, to become more fun and fufilling for yourself and others.

Best of luck, Ed.